Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting: question!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed startingReplies: 4, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 11, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #4794111

If you live in a warm place (like so Cal) can you just skip the lights and place the peat pellets outdoors in the sun?
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #4794919

Hmm interesting question. The only thing I would be careful with is keeping them moist. I think your weather is nice enough to not worry about the pellets blowing away (like here), but I think you could keep them under a clear dome/lid until they sprouted and then take it off and they'd be fine outside. I think they would probably appreciate the sunlight a lot more than my shop light! Just make sure to keep them moist, though not wet because the pellets tend to dry out quickly unless you monitor them every couple days (who are we kidding, I monitor mine every couple hours, lol).
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #4795847

Great article! I love the tags ;) I learned a lot! Thanks to many DG friends, I have traded and received lots of great seeds that I'd never have even known about.

Robcorria - I'm in zone 9a/b, and even though we're warm enough, some plants, like tomatoes get really leggy unless they get direct light 2" above the seedling. Also, in order to get them out on time to beat our humidity and heat, we have to start in early January when it's way too cold to put them outside.

robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 14, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4807555

I'm just not disciplined enough for all the technique...I think I'll try the pellets outside with the clear dome! I have killed so many seelings already!
patrice10
Aquebogue, NY

April 14, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4808045

great article; I go to a craft store and buy craft sticks (available are a number of shapes and sizes) and stick them into peat pots or homemade seed starting containers with seed i.d."s. Also bought greenhouses on line which have lasted years. Only three feet tall and the width of a flat. zippered flaps to close at night and open in day. Zone 7

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent! jlp222 8 Apr 13, 2008 2:53 PM
Great! dmdula 1 Apr 12, 2008 12:48 AM
I Love Thrifty Gardening Ideas MistyPetals 2 Apr 15, 2008 3:52 AM
good points jimneyj 0 Apr 14, 2008 5:01 PM
Free Aluminum lables SeramasunARK 1 Apr 15, 2008 3:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America