Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Hot but not so hot pepper

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 5, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4794572

What pepper would you fire-eaters (I say that fondly) recommend to add to recipes a child would eat that will give the recipe some zing and maybe introduce them to hot peppers? Maybe like hotter than an anaheim but not jalapeno/cayenne hot.

Thanks in advance.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4794830

I grew one called Garden Salsa last year that was like that. It has a good flavor, and you can eat one right off the plant without hurting yourself - but there's a little heat.

Garden Salsa is a hybrid - a long, skinny pepper that's easy to find around here. Bonnie Plant Farms grows it, so I've seen the plants in the spring at both WalMart and Lowe's.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4795019

Really Oz? You know I am a mater-head LOL. I love making gumbo, pasta sauces, homemade bbq sauce and relishes but I have a 4 year old grandson and some little god kids so when they are here I have to make the watered down versions. Kinda like watching network TV :)
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #4795968

I wouldn't tone it down too much for them. We watch our grandkids a lot while their mothers are working, and I've found that even the little ones soon learn to like hot chiles.

They've all started wanting to share my garden salsa and chips when they're as young as 4 or 5, and I've got a grandson who's not quite 3 now who'll ask for a bite, say "hot", drink a sip of water, and then ask for another bite. I make my salsa pretty hot, too.

I think capsaicin is good for everybody, healthwise - even kids.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #4797244

How cute. I have to go to Wally World today and I saw a few plants out already in their veggie section. I'll look for a couple. Thanks Oz
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #4797621

In some parts of Mexico, people eat food seasoned with hot peppers all their lives starting as little kids. In other parts of Mexico, hot chiles aren't used much.

I've read that in the areas where they eat lots of hot peppers, both arthritis and stomach ulcers are almost unknown. In the areas where people don't, those problems occur at about the same rate as in the U.S.

That makes sense to me, and it's certainly worth a try - especially since I like hot food anyway.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America