Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant: HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire AntReplies: 3, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #4795974

thanks this was really informative. i will definitely put this to use! i got attacked seven times last weekend and was completely covered in those "pimple-like pustules" you mentioned. it was like an army of cigarette butts, which you also mentioned, crawling up my hands arms legs and feet! one time there was a very heavy rain storm brought by a hurrican, which flooded the low lying areas in my friend's yard. he and his neighbor went swimming, but had no clue that the ants had not died, but were simply floating on the surface. needless to say, they didn't stay in very long, and won't be forgetting that experience very soon even when you grow up around them like me and him did, and they are a part of your daily life almost, you never really ever get used to them

PS thanks again
PPS these love to live in pots that are sitting on the ground, especially after rain, or if the soil in that area is wet, so be careful everyone!!!
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #4797462

I learned about the pots the hard way last summer, and eeewwwwwwwwwww about swimming with floating fire ants!! That gives me the heeby-jeebys!!
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4798294

They are also fond of compost piles, soft soil and newly disturbed ground. People who move into new housing subdivisions where the bulldozers have scraped off the native vegetation usually have to deal with a plethora of mounds for several years.
jvdl1
Englewood, FL

April 14, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4808439

I read somewhere that the ant bite "pustules" are actually white corpuscles fighting the infection. Scratching them open could lead to infection. most of the stuff I've used on the ant mounds just moves them into my neighbors yard.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 5:37 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clorox on the stings! SCNewbie 16 May 9, 2008 2:00 AM
They're coming melody 1 Mar 13, 2011 6:17 AM
Fire Ants & Blood Meal NatureWalker 1 May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
Soda Water girlgroupgirl 2 Mar 14, 2011 12:20 PM
Fire Ants and ticks in the Hill Country mfpinlh 1 Apr 15, 2008 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America