Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective: Thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspectiveReplies: 8, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4796043

Thanks for another important article! Out here in the woods, we have a bazillion slugs and snails that just loooove hostas (as do the deer). This year I'm going to try copper barriers instead of the poisons, as I read that 'coons and 'possums like to eat slugs and snails, and we don't want to poison the wildlife. Our dog doesn't go in that area, but the neighbors let their dog run on our property. As rude as that is, I would never want to cause him to be poisoned! Thanks again.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #4796678

Thanks for the wonderful information! I have very fat and sassy slugs, and my options have been to heave them into the road or dump some salt on them - this year I'm going to have some copper and NA beer in my garden!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #4796704

I appreciate the info on this as well as the rodenticides, being a long time cat owner but short time dog owner. I liked the picture of (presumably) drunk dogs.
I chuckled when I read that you can hear banana slugs eating- My son discovered that you can also hear and record crickets chewing on popcorn.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #4797007

I thank you for such valuable information provided.
ashleykelly
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4797123

Your article was great and much appreciated!
Not to change the subject, but we learned the hard way about putting poisons out and having dogs. We lost a beloved pet several years ago, and the only cause the vet could come up with was that he had caught a rat in the pasture that may have been poisoned. It was so difficult to watch and we vowed never to use any poisons again. We have since tried everything to keep our rat population down: 2 terriers, the rat zapper, my husband hunts them or tries to 'smoke' them out of the hole with the bee smoker he got for Christmas. (He even concocted this pivoting trap made of PVC pipe!) It's turned into a humorous hobby/sport for him, but apparently he's not very good at it because I still have them ransacking my garden every night! Can you give me some suggestions or point me towards a previously written article on the subject that I may have missed. Thanks!
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #4797948

Thank you for the second very important and informative article!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #4798354

Geoff, thanks! All those people who freak because I feed my dog a chocolate chip now & then but happily spread & spray every chemical known to man need some no-nonsense information about the world around them.

But I'm curious about pets' overall digestive systems. Is garlic itself somehow toxic to them whereas it is a health food for us? Perhaps you could write an overview that might help us understand the bigger picture of why pets should eat certain things but not others?

I'm a vegetarian & am guilty of letting my dog eat leftovers -- she loves radishes, green peppers, pickles, cabbage ... I'd sure hate to poison her with what is, for me, a healthy lifestyle.

Please keep writing on this subject because it is tremendously helpful for me to get "source" information that is not just scattershot scare tactics.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)


April 13, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #4800215

Dogs and cats do not have the enzymes to detoxify garlic and onions. But one cannot generalize about such things, as that is a unique situation. We have an inability to detoxify most plant berries that birds gobble up happily...some animals are just able to consume some things while others are not. THere is no real rhyme or reason... but trial and error soon uncovers such problems and then the scientists figure out why.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #4800258

That alone is valuable info that helps me view my environment in totality.

Gracias!

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I always say, "beer is best!" Sundownr 1 Apr 12, 2008 2:50 PM
SLUGS fred321 1 Apr 13, 2008 3:12 AM
Can slugs carry diseases? wabzy 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:30 AM
Slug problem ARWadoo 0 Apr 15, 2008 5:17 AM
snail bait in the wild rstanek 1 Apr 16, 2008 2:28 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America