Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Did you say passionflowers?: Wonderful article... Printing this one

Communities > Forums > Article: Did you say passionflowers?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Did you say passionflowers?Replies: 9, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #4800733

Thank you for the well written, informative article. I have a neighbor who is devout Christian and is intrigied by the biblical inferences associated with passionflowers. I will be printing this article for her.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 13, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #4800958

Thanks for your positive response to my article. Please let your neighbor understand that those references were artificially raised by Spanish evangelists and to my knowledge nothing in the Bible could be found about those plants, they were totally unknown at the time of the holly book.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #4801131

Good article! I enjoyed it and you are right ... the vines prefer sandy, drier soil! I have an east fence just covered with the P.edulis flavicarpa (yellow passion fruit) vines! I had lots of blooms and fruit last year. I love them!

Many of the Passiflora vine varieties (though not all) are also host plants for the Fritillary and Zebra Longwing Butterflies (caterpillars), so they are a nice addition to a Butterfly garden! (Which is why I grow them!)

Thank you again for the wonderful article and spotlight on the Passiflora vines!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 13, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4801582

Well, thank you Becky! I also like a lot flavicarpa's fruits they have a nicer taste than regular edulis, we use the juice for punch (Reunion's main crop is sugarcane hence rhum is regular drink...). I am working on another article on passionflowers but dedicated to hybridization of those wonderful plants, a rather easy and fantasticaly rewarding activity for any gardener!
PS; to bad I spaced out with the text editor, the picture of Passiflora citrina only shows a tiny bit, I will do better next time!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4801833

Thank you for this article! My family and I enjoyed it. I enjoy learning all I can about the plants I have and look forward to your next article.

It's a good thing PF's like sandy soil because that's about all I have! I have a Passiflora Lady Margaret which produces lot of fruit. I have not had any lucky propagating from seed, cuttings I can handle. I also have P. Edulis and P. Caerulea, but they are pretty young and have not produced fruit (yet)!

Thanks again! Sharon
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4802704

Wonderful write-up, jjacques. PF's are my most favorite wildflower, often referred to as a "weed" here by others (incarnata grows wild all over our farm).

Your home turf sounds like a fantasy land to me. Will be watching for more articles by you!

Best,
Shoe
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4804973

I have a Passionflower that lives on a trellis outside my house. It has the most amazing blooms. Here the soil is anything but easy draining. It must be a miracle that is it staying alive in the this area. Thanks for the history, I never would have guessed it had Christian roots.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 14, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #4806482

Wowowo! Thanks everybody! Passies are easy to grow provided you have the right soil and climate, then they can easily turn to weed, actually quite a few are listed are pantropical weeds. They also do fine indoors so everyone can try his chance!
AnalogDog, I guess WA stand for Washington? If so you probably grow either P.caerulea or P.incarnata which are both hardy from the fleshy roots, it may also be a hardy hybrid as enthusiasts in USA and Europe have been very active creating all kinds of fantastic hybrids those last years.
JJ
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4814416

Really enjoyed article AND everyone's comments. I have 2 of the vines I planted last year and they are REALLY getting thick. Unless I go in behind the anti-rabbit fence and force them to climb upward, they grow down and try to choke the other plants. I did not know fruit grows from this vine - all varieties? I will need to better secure the trellis! We have lots of sandy soil. I could plant some on the chain link fence to cover that eyesore - do they do well with wind? We get only a few freezing nights in winter is that OK? Do you root cuttings in water first or use rooting hormone & place into soil? Do the butterflies breed IN the vines?

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 16, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #4815779

Hi Quilty,
Yes, so far it seems everybody has enjoyed it and this pleases more than you can tell! Indeed passionflowers are fast growers but never feed them heavily with potash, they would grow masses of stems and leaves but no flowers. Regarding fruits all species (and some hybrids) do produce fruits but all are not edible though to my knowledge only one is toxic (P.morifolia). If you get froze you probably grow hardy species, P.caerulea and P.incarnata, none make good fruits even if some people use caeruela's fruits for tarts. They do not really enjoy wind especially if it is dry.
I never root any cuttings in water, always directly in cutting mix or in loose ground in shaded areas. Rooting in water will produce thin and weak roots which will easily break when put in the soil. I do not think butterflies breed in the vines, they come to feed on nectar and lay eggs if the caterpillars happen to feed on the species.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Did you say passionflowers? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow I wan´t to leave there too abuebebari 1 Apr 14, 2008 1:38 PM
Thanks! kithas 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:36 PM
love your article and passion flowers inezscion 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:49 PM
Very Informative! TBGDN 1 Apr 15, 2008 8:03 AM
Has everything to do with love joannmaples 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America