How to store LOTS of garden hose?

Toddville, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try posting this here, since most of us have a bit more land than a typical urban yard... When one has 1000-2000 feet of garden hose, in the usual 50-100 ft. segments, how does one store it so that it does not become an octopus that takes over an entire 60 x 128 pole barn? All my reels and carts have collapsed over time... I can't get the darned stuff to coil to save my life -- yet when it comes to planting a new bed along the lane, or watering new trees up in the orchard, the length is indispensable. If anyone has solutions for this a) bless you, b) patent it and c) tell me now, before I commit hose-icide! ;-)
Thanks!

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

I have no idea and truthfully I think I would feel (c) would be most appropriate if I was in your situation. The funny thing is when we build our home this fall at our ranch I will have the same situation as you. I'll have two magnolias on either side of the entrance and I will definitely be pulling hose in the summer to water them. Solutions....I suppose new reel carts is what I would use.

Toddville, IA(Zone 5a)

I *had* to get some hose under control yesterday. What I ended up doing was coiling it, but doing so INSIDE some of those big plastic totes. That gave me a form to force the coil into. DH can make them coil in front of him on the floor, but I guess he is a hose-charmer or something. I got 100' of hose into a bucket and then filled the center part with sprinklers and other accessories. Not ideal -- takes up a lot of space -- but I had a bunch of those totes sitting around, most with a hole somewhere that made them of limited use for other things. Now I can see beyond the hose to clean the rest of the barn... ::eek!::

Waddy, KY

Sorry, all my hoses coil and I just make sure I tie the coil in two places with baling twine then tie a piece around the coil and tie it up in the tiers of the tobacco barn.

Janet

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I think I would run some inexpensive rigid plastic pipe with a hose bibb installed every 50 or 100 feet, or even 200 feet, and a drain on the pipe to drain it for winter. That way you wouldn't have so much hose to drag around. The rigid pipe could even be buried a few inches for looks. To bury it deeper to avoid freezing would be quite a chore.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The large plastic totes were what I was going to suggest. Or metal garbage cans.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'd hard plumb it. One 50' length gives me fits.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Kristi!! What are you doing watering stuff? Don't you know that every time you water stuff you cause it to rain!! :) LOL You must have been watering again last night!

Do you put your hoses away each time you use them? Maybe you could get some hose hanger stakes and discreetly hide them behind a bush here and there and then when you need that hose you can attach it to the one you have in your hand, but if you don't need it it will still be hung up ready for use the next time?

I have a large hose reel and it holds about 200 or so feet of hose.

Diann

Toddville, IA(Zone 5a)

All good ideas, Diann! Believe me, none of the hoses have been out yet this year! Where did you get your big hose reel? I had/have one that I thought seemed very heavy duty -- nice big wheels -- but the piece that connects the hose on the reel to the hose that goes to the bib has threading issues and leaks really badly no matter what you do. Doug claims he's going to put a hydrant halfway between the barn and house as part of a landscaping/track laying project he has going, and that should help cut down on the lengths a bit, too.

"Do I put my hoses away each time I use them" -- that's a good one! I'll be chuckling about that one for a while!

This message was edited May 10, 2008 7:24 AM

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I got my garden hose reel from Gardeners.com. They don't seem to carry the one I got from them anymore. It had big bicycle wheels on the back.

Yeah, I only put my hoses up if I'm mowing... Most of the time you have to becareful where you walk or you'll be tripping over one. :) Of course, I don't water unless I absolutely have to either. :)

Diann

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I have an idea. You know those great big things that look like an oversized spool of thread? I don't know what they are called but they are used in construction? Maybe you could get a hold of one of those to wind the hose up on. Make a sort of make shift cranking machine and then you could pull it out when you need it and use the handle (which you would make) to reel it back in.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

it looks like this but HUGE

Thumbnail by noobiegardener
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, Kristi, you'd have some bigga muscles if you could crank that thing!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Mystrypoodle (how in the world did you come up with that name?)

I don't have a direct answer for your water hose problem, but rather some suggestions that might help you find a solution....

a) Go visit your local fire department and see how they store all their water hose. Their hose is probably as long as yours, or longer.

b) Go visit a farmer - if he waters his crops he probably has as much hose as you do, or longer.

c) Start planting things closer to your house. :) lol

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

My daughter found this using google...in about .2 seconds.

http://www.mairrigation.com/products/kifco/kifco_index.aspx?gclid=CKrChr2dyZMCFQ3_sgodYjB-iw

This will take care of the hose problem.... :) Now - it's time to hit up ebay and see if you can find a used one in your area for cheap! (or craigslist)

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

All my reels and carts have collapsed over time... I can't get the darned stuff to coil to save my life

What most people don't realize is when you wind a wire or hose up you are also twisting it. Do it a few times and you will be fighting the twists all the time. Her is what I would do. Take each length and work form one end to the other untwisting it. It may take several passes to get all the twists out. Now If I can I'll try to describe how to wind it up with out putting the twists back in it. Hold the hose in your left hand with it running away from your body. Wind one loop of hose into your left hand. You should be standing there with a loop of hose in your hand and the hose running away from you. Now turn your right hand so the back of it faces left and reach down the hose a couple of feet or so, grasp the hose and turn your hand back around. You should now have a loop of hose in your right hand. Place it in your left and start the sequence over again. What you are doing is twisting the hose the opposite way on alternating loops so that there is no net twist in the hose. It's easier to show someone than to describe. After you get the hang of it you don't have to hang onto the hose. You can do it on the floor or hanging it up on a hook or wind it into a bucket.

By the way those large spools you see around construction sites are wire reels. They come in all sorts of sizes from a couple of feet across to eight feet across. Most are made out of wood, but I've seen a lot of metal ones around here because we have several factories that strand wire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images