Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Unknown ginger...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I picked up this nice sized ginger (2 gal pot) at a flea market. When asked, the lady said "variegated ginger".

I am hoping someone can offer ID and information as to care and feeding please.

This photo is the whole plant...

Thumbnail by podster

This photo shows a closer view of the foliage. It has some solid green, some pale green variegated leaves and some white variegated.

Does it need more light?

Is it reverting back to the green?

This plant stems from one base so I am guessing it is not a few plants in the pot.

Any idea which ginger?
Will it bloom?
Tropical? Or does it need winter protection?

I'm sure there are more questions rolling around in my head too...

TIA ~ pod

Thumbnail by podster
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hiya Podster, what you have is a stromanthe. The leaves are variegated and it's Ginger related too. Just beautiful foliage, and mine grow outdoors, heavily mulched in filtered shade. They do love water.
The more interesting one is the Triostar Stromanthe. with 3 colors. Red, white and green.

So not actually a ginger. Yours survives 8a winters? Yea! Thanks for an ID, I will do some reading... pod

Sarasota, FL

I used to think that this was arrowroot. It looks similar but arrowroot has some purplish color on the leaves.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I have one of those that a friend gave me She had no idea what it was. Thanks for the id!

Gainesville, FL

I think its actually a Ctentanthe, not a stromanthe

Thanks Gothqueen... after finding that it wasn't a ginger, I posted on the houseplant thread in search of an ID. I was given the Ctentanthe ID but although I had good intentions, I never found my way back here.

Sadly disappointed that it wasn't a ginger, I might add! Appreciate you... pod

Gainesville, FL

You are quite welcome. That is an old "Pass-along" plant here, its funny but everyone calls it either a ginger, or a Ti leaf here too. What's even more humorous is that no one can ever seem to exactly remember when and where they got theirs, its like its "always been in the yard". I have one that is highly variegated, its a neat plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.