Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting: good points

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed startingReplies: 0, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jimneyj
Kansas City, MO

April 14, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4807408

I have tried the pellets in the past. I always got good seed germination along with leggy plants that died. Not enough light. So I added the shop lights with some success put for as many seeds as I start each year it just was not efficent and very expensive. building all the tables I need and adding lights etc. So last year I went a different route. I build a cold frame outside. I dug a hole in the ground about 18 inches to the botttom. worked the soil with my tiller at that level. (Pass 2 " in my soil and it is nothing but clay.) Added a mixture of mature (from my friend's horse barn, composted leaves, and some black dirt (got it from the woods behind my house). Then I bought a bag of pro mix (25 pound) and put on top of the dirt. I purchased some landscaping timbers from Home Depot when they had them on sell ($1.27). I build the frame two timbers high added a 1 x 6 x 8 laid on it edge down the middle on top of the timbers to create a ridge for the plastic. The distance between the I planned the seed in the pro mix in the middle of January (we had one nice day) and cover it with plastic. I got the seed a one of the local hardware stores for $.20 a packet. I had so many plants I did not know what to do with them. No cost of extra lighting, building of tables or worried about the house getting to cold. No repotting. Just transplant the plants from the frame to the garden. The plants were larger than most nuseries sell for planting.

I addes to my design this last summer by purchasing a few mister and 1/4 tubing with a garden hose attachment. I ran the line out form underneath the plastic so when they looked a little dry, I could just hook up the hose and water. Last fall I plant some seeds in the same bed adding a little more pro mix and left them in there for the winter. The pansies I planted were 6 inches tall and blooming in Feburary. This was just after we had three weeks of temperature in the teens.

This has been the easiest way I have found to grow seeds and each year all I usually need to due is add some seed starting mix and a piece of plastic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent! jlp222 8 Apr 13, 2008 2:53 PM
Great! dmdula 1 Apr 12, 2008 12:48 AM
question! robcorreia 4 Apr 14, 2008 7:37 PM
I Love Thrifty Gardening Ideas MistyPetals 2 Apr 15, 2008 3:52 AM
Free Aluminum lables SeramasunARK 1 Apr 15, 2008 3:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America