Photo by Melody

Article: Neem, An Indoor Gardeners Best Friend: The Neem Tree.

Communities > Forums > Article: Neem, An Indoor Gardeners Best Friend
bookmark
Forum: Article: Neem, An Indoor Gardeners Best FriendReplies: 3, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Padmini
Chennai
India

April 14, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4807575

Interesting to hear that you are using it so far away.
I use the "neem cake" as a fertiliser. That is the stuff left after extracting the oil .
Some years ago,I also collected the fallen leaves and used them to produce the smoke which keeps the mosquitoes out of the house at dusk.
When my daughter and I had chicken-pox, 10 years ago, the torture of the vesicles was eased
by bathing in water boiled with green neem leaves and the irritation soothed by stroking the limbs with a bunch of green neem leaves.

A bunch of green neem leaves tied to a doorway tells the world that there is an infectious disease around so please don't come in--one of my neighbours had put one up a few years ago.
My grandfather's sister, who had six younger brothers, told me the tale that when she returned from school, she would see the neem leaves tied to the doorpost and say, "Ah-ha, there's a new baby in the house today."
My grandfather planted three neem trees adjacent to our compund wall when he was 75 years old, as he wanted shade in his bedroom, on the ground floor. All of us grandchildren, laughed and said, "He expects those to grow and give him shade!" What we did not know was that he would live to 95 and that the trees gave shade not just to his room but also to my bedroom above his.
I was forced to chop the last of the trees last year as the roots were messing up our water-meter chamber. However I salvaged one small stump which I use as a pot-stand in my drawing-room.
Padmini Raghavan in Chennai, (formerly Madras) South India.

November 9th 2010.
Remembering my grandfather again:
He was a doctor who retired as Deputy Director of Health in 1948. He liked to tell us the story of the huge and delicious Brinjals (aubergines) he had at a friend's house in the village of Kalahasthri. He discovered that they grew so well because they were fed on "night-soil" !!!
Padmini Raghavan.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2010 1:15 PM
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

April 14, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #4808405

What a wonderful story about your Grandfather.

Thank you also for mentioning some of the additional benefits of the Neem tree.
reepoo
Guaynabo, PR

March 28, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7663149

I have neem trees of aprox 3 feet for sale at only $15USD. If interested visit www.nimpr.weebly.com and contact me.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by reepoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

delbertyoung56m
Medina, NY

May 21, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9132543

I believe there are Neem Trees at Durand Eastman Park in Rochester, NY. This park is on Lake Ontario and in Zone 5. I now know that they are useful to mankind. Thanks for the article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Neem, An Indoor Gardeners Best Friend Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting... darius 0 Apr 12, 2008 7:05 PM
Very odd CaptMicha 4 Apr 13, 2008 2:45 AM
RIGHT ON SISTER! docgipe 0 Apr 14, 2008 9:22 PM
Neem Daniel311 0 Apr 15, 2008 1:48 AM
Neem prices sore in India bjwlmp 0 Apr 15, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America