Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective: Can slugs carry diseases?

Communities > Forums > Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspectiveReplies: 1, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wabzy
Islip, NY

April 15, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4809624

I frequently see slugs finishing off bits of food left in my dog's dish at night. Are there any diseases carried by slugs which I should be worried about? I do wash the dish with hot water and soap before putting fresh food in. Salmonella is a disease I always associate with snails. Is this cause for concern with the slugs?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #4810902

This is not my area of expertise... sorry. If snails can carry Salmonella which I do not doubt, slugs are equally apt to I am afraid. There are some potentially horrific parasites you can contract from eating raw snails or slugs, but no really any chance of getting one of those parasites from their slime.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snail and slug control from a veterinary perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! KyWoods 8 Apr 13, 2008 3:19 AM
I always say, "beer is best!" Sundownr 1 Apr 12, 2008 2:50 PM
SLUGS fred321 1 Apr 13, 2008 3:12 AM
Slug problem ARWadoo 0 Apr 15, 2008 5:17 AM
snail bait in the wild rstanek 1 Apr 16, 2008 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America