Photo by Melody

Article: Did you say passionflowers?: Passionflowers

Communities > Forums > Article: Did you say passionflowers?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Did you say passionflowers?Replies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamoriah
Maitland, FL

April 15, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4812272

Lovely article, and Passion DOES have everything to do with AGAPE love; however, you did not mention any fragrance. The ones I have seen in the woods behind my house in Orlando smell wonderful!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 15, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4812748

Hum, you are right, I said nothing about fragrance but this is not the main feature of passionflowers...we have P.ligularis here which is quite nicely perfumed, what are those species in the woods?
mamoriah
Maitland, FL

April 22, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #4845969

Fragrance in flowers is a huge bonus to me, but I am too botanically challenged to know which ones are in the woods. Sorry.
ghgeiger
Tallahassee, FL

April 28, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #4877653

It is most likely Passiflora incarnata. I have seen this growing wild in both Gainesville, FL and Tallahassee, FL.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 29, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #4880399

Yes, P.incarnata originates from the USA and will grow from FL to Connecticut as it is rather hardy. So it makes also a good choice for hybridizing with tropical species and creating a cold tolerant one.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6633905

I have some that grow here in South Carolina all the time. Die back in winter and come back in the spring. They bloom purple and have big pods of fruit on them. We always called them Maypops when I was young. We ate the fruit pods when they turned yellow. It's full of seeds like a pomagranet . What is the real name for it, do you know which one I'm talking about? It's purple and white. A friend I met at Daves garden site gave me one called Monika, he named and he said it blooms red. I'm just starting it . I can't wait for blooms. I also just planted some Passiflora mollissima and was wondering how long does it take to sprout from seeds? Thanks. Mekos

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 10:25 PM

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 5, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6646138

Hi Mekos
Maypops is the common name for Passiflora incarnant, native to the USA, a rather hardy species and used as such to create hardy hybrids using tropicals. Fruits are edible though not the greatest (to my taste!). 'Monika Fischer' is an hybrid created by Roland Fischer (a German grower) by crossing (P.incarnata x P.amethystina) 4n with (P.kermesina x P.caerulea) 4n, this is a polyploid.
P.mollissima should germinate within three to six weeks, it is a cool weather one originating from the Andes, beautiful flowers!
JJ

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Did you say passionflowers? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article... Printing this one jlp222 9 Apr 16, 2008 4:09 AM
Wow I wan´t to leave there too abuebebari 1 Apr 14, 2008 1:38 PM
Thanks! kithas 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:36 PM
love your article and passion flowers inezscion 1 Apr 15, 2008 4:49 PM
Very Informative! TBGDN 1 Apr 15, 2008 8:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America