Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant: Fire Ants

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire AntReplies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamoriah
Maitland, FL

April 15, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #4812461

Please forgive me if this sounds crude, but has anyone tried urinating on a fire ant bite/sting to see if that takes away the pain [i.e. Chandler from "Friends" when he peed on the jelly-fish sting]? I was wondering if the ph of the urine would remove the sting. Seriously! [And, yes, I know the TV show was "pretend."]
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4812484

Great question, and yes I've heard this really works. While we were in Belize a couple of years ago, my husband and I met a woman at our hotel who'd been out on a scuba excursion and she stepped on and was stung by a scorpion fish - very painful and poisonous. They were miles from anywhere and couldn't get her to a doctor immediately. She said the pain was excruciating. Someone recommended this "treatment" and while everyone was hesitant to offer their "sample" one guy eventually came through...and she said the pain went away instantly. The ammonia in urine is what neutralizes the pain. Not sure about the itch, though. Fire ant bites also itch intensely!!
mamoriah
Maitland, FL

April 22, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4845998

Dear Texas Tam, Thanks for your response! I wonder what would happen if we peed on the ANTS! : ) Blessings!
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

August 22, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5453342

You wrote: I wonder what would happen if we peed on the ANTS! : ) Actually, nothing. The pi.. is non toxic. I have tried this (when no one was looking).

Those ants nest up against my fruit tree trunks, so i reasoned the natural fertilizer would benefit the trees and possibly discourage the ants. No such luck. But gotta keep trying to find solutions, you know.

Today i concocted an experimental ant bait:

One cup corn meal, four Tbs. cooking oil, and one Tbs. Boric acid powder. Mix the acid and oil together then add to the corn meal till all the lumps are out.
I will keep a watch on those treated ant beds to see how long it takes to destroy a mound.

Boric acid is cheap at the $Store. The brand is "GOOD BYE ROACHES" and sells for $2 a quart. Comes in a squeeze bottle for dusting.

Les
Sterling_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5495301

Have you tried using grits to get rid of fire ants? I've had success with this method. Sprinkle dry instant grits on the mound, and just leave it for a few days. Apparently the ants ingest the grits and, as the grits expand, the ants die. This has really worked for me!
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5495473

Yup, I tried using instant grits a couple of times. They worked once, didn't work the other. Maybe some fire ants are tougher than others!
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

September 2, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5496979

I can now verify that my "Cooper's Fire Ant Terminator" formula as described above does work. Three days later the dozen ant beds were ghost towns. Two other large mounds needed a second dose but did disappear.

When i make the cup of stuff it fills an ice cube tray. I mash them hard into the cube spaces, add a bit of water on top and freeze them. I then place a frozen cube on a mound, a convenient way to dispense justice. The rest can be saved in a zip-loc bag in the freezer for use later. Don't eat them for snacks!

Les the 'Terminator'

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!! 1cros3nails4gvn 3 Apr 14, 2008 8:59 PM
Clorox on the stings! SCNewbie 16 May 9, 2008 2:00 AM
They're coming melody 1 Mar 13, 2011 6:17 AM
Fire Ants & Blood Meal NatureWalker 1 May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
Soda Water girlgroupgirl 2 Mar 14, 2011 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America