Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant: Houston-Area Fire Ants

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire AntReplies: 1, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

April 15, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4813647

In my yard, they don't build mounds; instead they infest my raised beds. This means that you don't know they're present until they swarm out to attack. I've used Amdro and Logic, but because my neighbors won't treat the ants are an ongoing problem. Another organic solution is a mixture of liquid agricultural molasses and orange oil (the problem with this is the orange oil hurts the earthworms). The ants move on immediately (those that survive the drench). The interesting thing about using the molasses/orange oil solution is that it improves the soil. One spot in a bed was particularly attractive to fire ants and I treated it multiple times over a year or two . . . voila . . . that's now the "best" spot in the bed for plants.
Leslie
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4817319

Hi Leslie,
Yeah, that's the only time I see fireants in my yard is when I'm digging in a bed. Thankfully those instances are few and far between. I applied nematodes to the yard when we first moved in a couple of years ago and I'm convinced that help keep the lawn fireant free; unfortunately, I didn't treat the flowerbeds.
I've heard the molasses and orange oil mixture works - Howard Garrett recommends that method, I believe.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!! 1cros3nails4gvn 3 Apr 14, 2008 8:59 PM
Clorox on the stings! SCNewbie 16 May 9, 2008 2:00 AM
They're coming melody 1 Mar 13, 2011 6:17 AM
Fire Ants & Blood Meal NatureWalker 1 May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
Soda Water girlgroupgirl 2 Mar 14, 2011 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America