Happiness bank account

Missouri City, TX

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably combed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.

As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

'I love it,' he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

'Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait.'

'That doesn' t have anything to do with it,' he replied.

'Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged .. it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. 'It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do.

Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just for this time in my life.

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in.

So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories!
Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank.
I am still depositing.' Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Very well said.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

With an attitude like that he'll have friends wherever he is and bring happiness to all around him.When I see people who are grumpy and always complaining about everything it is easy to see why they don't have a lot of people dropping by to visit. So your words are important for all of us to remember. No one wants to spend time around someone who is grumpy.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Bubba, for relaying that lovely story about this special man to us. Is it possible that you could dmail his name and new address to me so that I could send him an unexpected, cheery card? If not, please relay to him that his approach to life is a real gift to the rest of us.

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

I"dlike that mans name & address to. He deserves to have some cheery cards sent to him & I'd be happy to do it. My neighbor who is 93 lost her husband of 72 years in January. He was 102. She could use some of this mans wisdom. She has become miserable & mean to those who love her. What a wonderful example he would be to all who become like her. Thanks for telling us about this wonderful gentleman!

Missouri City, TX

This was sent to me by a friend, so I do not know the man, but I am sure that there is someone like this at most rest homes. And many would love to hear from any of us.

They know their condition, but still like to know that they are appreciated for what they contributed to making "our" world.

I was blessed to have an assignment in the Boston, MA area many years ago, and one of my cousins who lives near there took me to see my great aunt in a "home" in Maine one evening. The three of us went to dinner at a local lobster house - had a great time. Amazing how much joy and animation can be achieved just with a little care and attention.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

What a wonderful philosophy/attitude. As a child in the depths of the Depression, I was fortunate to spend time among the old-timers on both sides of the family. Tough as those times were, they had endured much harsher conditions, yet they were having more fun than anyone. They created their own entertainment. So I never worried much about growing old, and I've found that it is possible to be happy even as the problems of aging increase. Yuska

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry to hear that the old man is unknown. When I was a child in the 30's I knew no old people although I thought my parents & grandparents were old. LOL I now know they were young. Now I know a lot of old people as I live in a retirement park. We don't talk much about the old days. The talk centers around current affairs,which is probably a good thing as it keeps our minds agile. Of course there is always talk about our ailments which are many. Drs. today keep us alive much too long with medication. I take 15 pills a day. I sometimes feel like throwing them all away. Then I think about my pets & my responsibility to them & know they would all be put down if I passed on so I keep on taking those meds. Since I discovered the internet my life has changed tremendously. I can Google anything & Dave's Garden is a joy. So much information about so many things & so many wonderful people to chat with. My life has changed for the better. I'm still an old woman,butI'm learning something new everyday & that's a good thing!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You're so right, mommie, about constantly learning new things. Even with some aches and pains, as long as the mind is alert the vast of amount of information exploring we can do is fascinating and fun. I don't expect to last as long as my grandmother, who at 98, still lived alone and maintained her spic-n-span home, but I sincerely hope curiosity will stay with me.

Missouri City, TX

Mommie,
I always enjoy reading your posts.
You can teach a few of us "youngsters" a thing or two, too.

Like you, I learn something every day, and share as much as I can.

Used to think what I knew made me "valuable and indespensible", but learned that the more I shared that with others, the more valuable I was.

Had a great manager once that explained it to me. "If you don't have someone what knows what you know, you cannot advance, nor ever take a vacation".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images