-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 16, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4815629

Neem oil contains azadirachtin which is toxic. Perhaps they remove it before selling the Neem oil?. Neem oil is also not environmentally friendly because it has to be shipped by pollution device over many miles.

No Neem in my backyard! Ever!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

July 13, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8689538

Neem oil alters the bad bugs you want to get rid of, but what does it do to good insects such as pollinator bees???

No Neem in my backyard or house!
audjea
EDMONTON
Canada

July 18, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8699654

[quote="CLScott"]Neem oil contains azadirachtin which is toxic. Perhaps they remove it before selling the Neem oil?. Neem oil is also not environmentally friendly because it has to be shipped by pollution device over many miles.

No Neem in my backyard! Ever![/quote]

I USED THIS TO POLISH THE FOILAGE ON CERTAIN PLANTS.(CANT USE ON ALL PLANTS) AND 2 DAYS LATER,THEY WERE DEAD AS STONE..NO THANKS TO NEEM.RECEIVED NO REPLY TO ANY OF MY E-MAILS..THANKS audjea
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

July 19, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8701513

You are probably better off polishing leaves with
cooking oil---just a drop or two on a cloth.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8705081

Here is more info on neem FYI:

http://web.pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/resourceguide/mfs/08neem.php

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_025007.htm

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

July 21, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8705506

Neither article answers my question on what it does to pollinator bees.
I think there has not been careful research on the effects of Neem.
What about the effect on humans over the long run?
At one time it was suspected of causing male sterility?

Now if it is used on commercial crops---then maybe we have to stop purchasing
veges from these users.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 6, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8739883

Did you all miss the title of this article?

"Neem - an INDOOR Gardeners Best Friend"????

Heavy emphasis on the INDOOR!!!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 7, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8741782

Neem indoors is even worse than outdoors!
I do not want anyone in my family to breath the fumes of Neem oil.
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

May 21, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9131757

Studies done when Azadirachtin (the primary active pesticidal ingredient in neem oil) was approved as a pesticide showed that when neem leaves were fed to male albino rats for 11 weeks, 100% (reversible) infertility resulted.

Neem oil and other neem products such as neem leaves and neem tea should not be consumed by pregnant women, women trying to conceive, or children.

There is some evidence that internal medicinal use may be associated with liver damage in children.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil#Toxicity

I think it would still be safe to use Neem Oil on plants that are not consumed by humans or animals, such as shrubs, perennials, annual flowers, and ornamentals.

This message was edited May 21, 2012 9:56 AM
dechap423
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9132730

LOL, CLScott... you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Azadirachtin has extremely low toxicity to mammals and arthropods that do not feed on the leaves of the plants. The twigs have traditionally been chewed in India for good dental health without any toxic effects... children do it in the streets to this day. Neem is used for a variety of cosmetic and health products. These things wouldn't be true if anything that you said was. Proper usage of neem does NOT harm honeybees, butterflies, or other pollinators. EXCESSIVE amounts of neem have been shown to have some detrimental effects to very young bees of small hives (can cause some of the larvae to not emerge from their respective cells). Neem contains nimbidin and nimbin, two chemical constituents that have been shown to have SOME spermicidal activity... but again, only with massive doses (doses that would never be achieved with neem usage indoors or out, by anyone but a blithering idiot). As far as polishing the leaves with it, and then there being any danger of it killing a plant... BS. I've used it for many years on many different plants... it's never caused a problem. Someone... A) didn't dilute it properly, B) bought some tainted neem, or C) killed their plant(s) with incompetence and then blamed neem. As far as it being shipped a long way... typically true, but it's still a helluva lot more "environmentally friendly" than DDT or Sevin, LOL. I have used neem for at least a decade, and it's NEVER caused any problems whatsoever. It works extremely well for many garden pests (not very well for a few), and it works moderately well as a fungicide. No need to emphasize indoors, either... it's just as good or better outdoors. Also, I would describe the smell as a merging of citronella and garlic; it's not unpleasant at all to me, but I still don't like it permeating my house. It's best to try and wait for a temperate Winter day, spray your plant thoroughly outside, and then leave it there as long as you can until the odor is greatly diminished.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9132854

This message was edited May 21, 2012 8:33 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2012 8:35 PM
DesertRattess
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9132862

I've also used Neem oil quite a bit, indoors and outdoors, and it certainly never harmed my plants. I don't particularly mind the smell either, although I wouldn't want it permeating my home. My advice is to read the label for usage guidelines and cautions, just like anything else you use in your garden.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 23, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9134795

I have yet to find a bottle of Neem oil which gave the chemical composition of the mixture.
Why use expensive exotic oils, when other cheaper and safer alternatives are available?
It could be that you are spending $$$ for the cheaper innocuous oils anyway.
dechap423
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9137834

[quote="CLScott"]I have yet to find a bottle of Neem oil which gave the chemical composition of the mixture.
Why use expensive exotic oils, when other cheaper and safer alternatives are available?
It could be that you are spending $$$ for the cheaper innocuous oils anyway.[/quote]

LOL... you sound like a sales rep for a competing product. Have your mind made up already, don't confuse you with any facts, EH? Chemical composition?... it wasn't 'put together' like Frankenstein (or Sevin, LOL). It's extract of Neem oil (uh, from the Neem tree) and some "inert ingredients" that are listed that way on many products. If you want to look at the molecular structure, I'm sure you can Google or Wiki it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Neem, An Indoor Gardeners Best Friend Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting... darius 0 Apr 12, 2008 7:05 PM
Very odd CaptMicha 4 Apr 13, 2008 2:45 AM
The Neem Tree. Padmini 3 May 21, 2012 4:58 PM
RIGHT ON SISTER! docgipe 0 Apr 14, 2008 9:22 PM
Neem Daniel311 0 Apr 15, 2008 1:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America