Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Comfrey, Aunt Bett, and Me: Not fast enough!

Communities > Forums > Article: Comfrey, Aunt Bett, and Me
bookmark
Forum: Article: Comfrey, Aunt Bett, and MeReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #4820349

You are truly gifted. I don't think you could write these Aunt Bett articles fast enough for me. A book would be the answer. One that I could curl up with while drinking herbal tea, and in between the chapters, remembering my own childhood visits on my great-grand parents farm in southern West Virginia. I'm printing them off for my grandmother (89 yrs) to read.

The stories of Aunt Bett have great value on many levels, informational, historical, and emotional, as well as entertaining. Please write more, and often!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4820428

Your message is a delight. This is just what I wanted the articles to do, touch many levels.

Thank you, I appreciate your every word.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4820543

The words your Aunt Bett used are the same as my great-grandfather's, like "pizen" (poison) in your "Croup" story. Everytime you write these Appalachian "folk words", I can see him throwing his head back in a big ol' laugh at the questions the great-grand children had for him (he was a big story-teller). He took us on hikes across the farm to visit the various wild critters and plants. I hate that I cannot recall all his stories the way you can your Aunt Bett's.

Have you read the "Foxfire" series of books on Appalachian culture? I think the reason I like those books so much is they make me think of him, too. Guess I'll always miss him.

Thanks again,
Sundownr
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #4820592

Thank you, Sundownr.
I remember Aunt Bett very well, and it helps that I have a lot of my mothers momentos, recipes, etc. I was in my mid to late 20's when Aunt Bett died, and I had spent my life very near her till I was 17 and went away to school. I do remember the words, the pronunciation.

I have read the Foxfire series, it has been several years since I read it, but I know what you mean. There is a book that you would enjoy by David Baldacci called Wish You Well. If you haven't read it, you should. It takes place during the same time as Aunt Bett, but it is set in West Virginia. You would like it, I think.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
5:16 AM

Post #4820738

I have volumes 1 - 12 of the Foxfire series, and I think they have a couple more out now. I just ordered "Wish You Well" from PaperBackSwap, upon your recomendation. Others gave it a good review, too. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks again,
Sundownr

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Comfrey, Aunt Bett, and Me Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thankyou. terriculture 16 Apr 17, 2008 1:02 AM
The Best One Yet! nanny_56 3 Nov 22, 2011 11:42 AM
A Special Treat MistyPetals 2 Apr 16, 2008 11:37 PM
Yep! Music to my eyes... Seedtosser1 1 Apr 16, 2008 10:23 PM
Great story doccat5 1 Apr 17, 2008 12:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America