Photo by Melody

Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective: I need more advice....

Communities > Forums > Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Stovall_Gardens
Nahunta, GA

April 17, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #4820935

Hi, you helped me with a palm question a while back. I just read your article on the pesticides and toxicity to pets. Ok, help me with this one. I want natural everything... so finding so many "tonics" to rid my pooches of fleas..I ran across one that the solution to a flea free pet is garlic...hmmm...not according to you. Please help me understand why so many people are giving their pets the cloves as well as the pills if it is toxic. Seems like maybe they don't ask the Vet first. I am so glad I read that, I went and bought both cloves and pills and was ready to kill my own children...(my canine children)... Scary! (did not use yet!)
I had my chihuahua have some sort of reaction yesterday, so we flew to the vet, while there he gave her Cortizone and an Antihistamine shot to relieve her allergic reaction. I noticed on an advertisement that there is now a pill that controls fleas for 2 months. Does this pill work? I live in a really sandy area, and my yard is infested with them. The dogs suffer as well as me spraying the 3 acres, I have tried everything, nothing helps. I do have horses so I also have to be careful of what gets sprayed around them as they are super sensitive...

I know you are busy, but if you have a moment to help me out, I would appreciate even a link to learn on my own. OH, do you have a madagascar palm? I have one and was wondering how big they get, I have it in a bonsai pot now, but am thinking it may not be a suitable specimen for it.
Many Thanks, and though your job may get hectic at times...there are so many people out there that can only thank god that there is someone to help with the 4 legged members of the family! I am one of them. Take care, Laura

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #4821778

There are several excellent and extremely safe products for fleas and they have been on the market for over 10 years: Frontline, Advantage and Revolution... all have little to no toxicity to any of your pets, though the first two do not even enter a pet's system (do not use Frontline on Rabbits, though). These are not only safe for dogs and cats, they were way better than environmental treatments (spraying the yard with potentially toxic products). Now a new oral product called Spinosad appears to be relatively safe, too, though I have never used this product, and personally would recommend waiting a year to be sure there are no hidden dangers that will uncover themselves over the next year. Program has been around for over 15 years and it, too, is very safe, but does not actually kill fleas, so it is not nearly as effective as the other products, and if your yard is loaded with fleas, using Program (an oral product), will take many many months to do anything at all.

See my article about Pachypodiums for answers to your Madagascan 'Palm' (NOT a palm) question.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You! melody 1 Apr 16, 2008 11:57 PM
Bug poisons NormaFlora 0 Apr 21, 2008 4:59 PM
Thanks for a very well done article. YodieCoyote 4 Apr 25, 2008 8:07 PM
TOXIC PRODUCTS durmar 1 Apr 22, 2008 2:19 PM
You are a lifesaver! lindalou52 0 Jul 1, 2008 2:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America