Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Japanese Maples: New maple seedlings I am working on

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 32, Views: 266
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
davesnursery
Milford, DE

April 17, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4822020

Here are some pics. of the new maple seedlings I am working with. Some are very interesting.

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/davesnursery/

Go to the new maples seedlings 3 year olds Album

Dave
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #4822126

Gorgeous!!!

Elizabeth
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #4822301

Very nice. I have had zero luck with starting from seeds. What is the secret?
davesnursery
Milford, DE

April 17, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4822474

The secret is to put in 1/2 million to a million and pick out the 100 nice ones.

Dave
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4822846

Ha!!! Good one dave... I agree ...but I think what she is asking is how to get them to germinate ... There is stuff on the internet on this they must be picked at the right time in fall niot too fresh not too dry and some put in water to soak overnight at a certain temp ( I haven't) then they are stratified in the refrigerator for a couple of months in your veggi crisper in a zip lock sealed bag with a wet towel and some spagmun moss..I soak the towel in a lt solution of captain fungicide to keep them from molding. As I said you should be able to find something on the internet probably more than you want. Daves statement does have some application to this too you will loose alot of them unless you have a pro setup many will not sprout many will die within weeks ( sometimes it takes two years to sprout). I will say ONE really BAD Idea that I came up with is ..why stratify if you live north...just plunk them outside in your garden.let them overwinter and sprout..I even did them in marked rows.. real smart ;>000 ... between the weeds and late frosts and limited germination it was a mess I tilled them under and never tried that again..david
davesnursery
Milford, DE

April 17, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4823025

We use to methyl bromide the area that the seed beds were going to be in and then make the beds in late fall. The beds were 3' wide and 400' long. The seed was just sitting in buckets in the cooler no water or anything else. Come February we would go back outside and sow the seed. Cover with peat moss and salt hay. Then we would lay the snow fence on top of the hay. Come approx. April to May the seed would start sprouting and then came the lifting of the fence and removal of the salt hay. The fence would then be place on cinder blocks supporting pipe and the fence rolled out along the pipe. This would be the shade for the rest of the year. Then came the hand weeding which at some times I bet along with the removal of the weeds was the removal of thousands of seedlings. Very tedious job. Never stratified the seed though we let the cold of winter do this. Stratification was done for the Cornus Kousa and the Taxus Capitata. That is a whole different calamity.

Dave
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #4825327

How fun Dave! Your seedlings are lovely.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #4825979

How neat. Maybe there is hope for my acontifolium seeds yet! As of last weekend, I had not sprouting indoors or out of doors. I'm hoping for a few, and at least some that look like the parent.

Laura
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4826735

First, David I am not a she although I know you could not know this. It is Bill.

DaveG - I tried to grow Virdis, Crimson Queen, and seeds from a large Bloddgood. And I did put down 20 or so seeds of each. Went on line and did the refridgerator deal with the seeds and soaking. All indoors nothing happened. Then I just placed the seeds in wide peat containers about 4" deep and left them in a growing area in the back of the yard since last year. Nada so far.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4827293

Sorry Bill..If I said she ..it was because there are alot of "she's" on this forum ;>) anyway I probably did 600 seeds that way and maybe 150 sprouted some in the bag at 4 months .and about 75 are still living.. so I think the problem is just too few seeds...I know folks on Ebay seel 10-20 for $5.00 and i have never understood how they can in good conscience do that unless they know something on pre-preperation...that I do not ( possible).I am sure some folks have success with that few as there are exceptions to about anything ...but I have to admit this does NOT surprise me ;>000 David
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #4827582

No problem David - I basically planted every seed the trees gave me. No big deal it was just a test. I already have two CQ and V so I don't no what I would have do with them. Would have be nice to have one I grew from seed though.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #4829615

So...I should just keep trying too and plant lots of seed out of doors in the fall too, do you think?

Have you gotten seedlings from A. japonicum Aconitifolium? What did they look like?

Laura
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4831090

I can't speak for dave ...but I have not tried AS acont. seeds ...my tree has not had them yet ...but it should be the same... I will say I had much more luck with germination ( not including the weeds etc) with refrig.etc inside than outside but dave had a method from his family...that was tried and true although alot of work seemed involved and obviously not something you or i could do ( or would want to ;>) ) it is for large production. It could be AS seeds are harder to germinate ..I don't know. Picking them at the right time in the fall just before they start to dry out on the tree seems important and quantity also seems to play a part ;>). I see no reason you can't have success..it may take finagling with the witches brew a bit so to speak..David
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #4831099

ooops I ment A.J. seeds NOT A.S...sorry D
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #4842418

Thanks, David! I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks and have my fingers crossed that there will be some sprouts when I get back.

Laura
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 22, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4845793

i bought 2000 jap red maple last year i got about 150 seedlings so far.1/2 i put in frig with vermiculite and sprinkled with fungicide.they were put in nov 1st and 4 mos later started to sprout.the ones that didnt sprout i planted in trays 1st of april.i've gotten another 26 from them so far.the other half,i put in beds outside and the weeds took them over . i haven't uncovered the whole mess yet , but started cutting the weeds off low with sissors .only saw 8 or 10 sprouts ,but will try to salvage what i can .didn't get anything from johnnys pink. i don't have the setup you guys do,but love jps and am having a great time with them.great hobbyfor me.also,pulled 300 bloodgood seedlings last year from under friends tree.one leafed out green this year,wonder what's going on with that.it could be a wild seed that blew in.i'll keep it and see what happens
davesnursery
Milford, DE

April 22, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4846594

digger

There is a way to weed the seed beds by letting the weeds get about twice as tall as the seedlings. Now take a floor sponge mop and dip it into roundup, squeeze out excess liquid and wipe gently and slowly over the weed. When there is no more liquid depositing on the weed then repeat the process as needed.

Dave
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 22, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4847449

now that makes all kind of sense. thanks .another tip ,i found another herbecide called eliminator ,think i spelled it right, at wal mart .same ingredients,whole lot stronger,whole lot cheaper.try it ,youll like it . i'll be doing the wipe tomorrow
davesnursery
Milford, DE

April 22, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4848253

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Dave
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

April 23, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4849353

Bloodgood seedlings can be green since they do not hold to the parent's characteristics.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4851440

i didn't know that,matt. it's a pretty little thing ,think i'll keep it and make a beauty out of it. you guys will laugh at me, but my x always told everyone that if it was half blind , or crippled,i'd take it home and feed it. what i need to do is stop spending money on trees ,and go out and buy that 60.00 book on maples
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #4851926

oh,wow, one of my koto no ito has a cluster of blooms on it. bad news, my only red spider graft has died. the root seems to be loose in the ground.too much water? don't think so .does have one little bud swelled,but think it's only a day or so to live.what to do? trying to prune roots and re pot will finish it off ,i'm afraid .
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #4852369

I think my Ariadne graft might be dead, too. It is still not doing anything : (
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

April 24, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #4855022

I had quite a few number of grafts fail this year because I grafted too late and some warm weather dried up the scion before I could get my new greenhouse setup. Maybe next year I will have all of the kinks worked out.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 24, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #4856277

my red s leafed out and looked real good , then leaves just shrivled up and dried out
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4938137

I have new JP's!! The crimson queen and virdis seeds have finally sprouted afte 2 years!! They are in a shallow peat container right now. How long do I leave them there before transplanting? I am pretty excited about this.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 12, 2008
10:23 AM

Post #4939690

wha,if you wasn't so far away, i'd have a fathers shower for you .congradulations!! the others will have to tell you when to transplant,but i always wait until the true leaves are strong,then lift the dirt a bit to loosen it ,pull them out ,repot .they are pretty tough . the big boys are going to tell me i'm wrong , but thats ok because i'm here to learn
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 13, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4942734

Well thats actually about what I do. If you are really careful you will wait until fall once the stems are hardened off because you can bruise them or snap off the roots, but if you are careful it is fine in my opinion.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4949680

thanks - I'll plan on letting them grow for a few months and transplanting them into small pots in September.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 14, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4950388

i have some red jp's that i put in frig last fall. it took them four mo's to start germinating.i transferred them as they did , to trays to finish leafing out .i transferred all the other seeds to a different tray , and they started comming up .about 30%. these last ones came up over a 6 week period . boy , it took all of 3 mos for all of them to come up from the first germination .so don't think you have all of them yet , bet you will be suprised , just like i was , hope so. this was my first time .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 14, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4950421

davesn,it really worked the way you told me to wipe the weeds . i gently pulled the leaves off and so far , have found six johnny's pink . also , found nine red maples. not many out of the hundreds i planted of both kinds. i think the way to go for me, is to do it in the frig sally
davesnursery
Milford, DE

May 14, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #4951044

Round up use to have an applicator just for that purpose. The applicator was a hand wand with a long handle. The handle was the reservoir and at the end was a half rounded sponge. I glad it worked out for you.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #4951742

yes that is a method farmers used on soy beans to use i think it was called some sort of spray wick.. the roundup was not actually sprayed or used as a pre-emergent cause it would kill or severly injure the soy beans ( I think it was beans not field corn it been a while since they have used it)... it would be applied in early summer when the weeds were tall and the beans were small touching and killing only weeds...Now they have round up ready soy beans and use ot as a pre-emergent ...being sorounded by farm fields either method is far perferable to the herbicides they use to use ...especially since most contract the spraying out and spray in windy conditions ...it was horrible ...i am not a lover of roundup but compared to that nasty stuff they use to use iit is acceptable...and it also doesn't tend to jump from area to area even when no wind like the older herbicides...You should have seen my oak trees after some idiot sprayed in 25 mph winds...It didn't kill them but they looked mummified that year... and the whole area had that rotten garlic smell slowly killing you lungs ...real nasty stuff!! David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America