Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Do you talk to your garden?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 45, Views: 356
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #4825458

My family thinks I'm a nut. Every day (unless the weather's awful, and sometimes even then) I go out to my garden and walk around to see what's growing and blooming. And every day I talk to my plants. My kids hear me say things like:

"Oh, look at you! You're having babies!"

"Aw, what healthy new growth you have."

"Spread politely, now. I have a weed picker and I'm not afraid to use it."

"Just look how big you're getting!"

"That bloom looks great on you!"

Are you a nut job like me? Do you talk to your garden? :D
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4825559

I thought everyone talked to there garden. I do the exact same thing you do. They probably wouldn't bloom if we didn't. I have 4 sisters and they don't think i am nuts cause they do it to. You are prefectly normal.
mudpiegirl
Los Lunas, NM

April 20, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4837262

I believe it's only a problem if your garden starts talking back :)
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #4840170

yes and every night i tell it good night see ya tomorrow!!
In the morning i say hello garden whats new?
In the fall I cry and say hold on till spring!
I watch from my window all winter, whispering hold on just
a lil longer(could be talking to myself about holding on)

I just luv springtime in the gardens-new life!!!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #4869628

People that don't talk to their gardens are weird.
People that don't pet their plants are weirder.
And I just can't understand those people that don't scold the weeds from entering polite society beds.

Such oddballs.

LOL! :-)
littlebrook15
Rock Tavern, NY

April 28, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #4878395

I talk to my garden constantly. I don't understand people who don't.

My kids love it, and think it's just the way it's supposed to be. They now do it, too. In fact, my daughter has taken to naming specific plants, which is just fine by me.

I only "tone it down" when the neighbors are out. They are city people who do not understand. But then, I don't understand them, either!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4878456

LOL< you're doing better than me, I never tone it down! LOL
mudpiegirl
Los Lunas, NM

April 30, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4884591

My mother lives in an addition to my house. Lately she has been talking to my tree that I planted last spring. Which, sadly, didn't make it through the winter. At first she was telling it how sad she was. More recently I heard her scolding it. My mom gets very attached to plants--obviously not just hers but mine, too. She finds homes for my leftover tomato seedlings so I don't have to kill them. I really need to replace that tree so she can put all of that energy into encouraging the new one to grow!

Sometimes I think its funny and sad that she puts so much emotional energy into a plant, (actually, EVERY plant) but I also think it is a really good thing to have people who care so much about small life forms. Plants are little lives, even if they can't talk back, and so somehow I think it is important that there are people who take the time to care and talk to them, and maybe even miss them when they are gone, however silly that may seem.
gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4894871

I'm one of the "Crazies " that talk to my plants everyday. I tell them how lovely they are and some of the bigger ones even gets hugs. from noon to 1 Classical music is played in the garden I swear it helps all my plants are large and very healty.

Here is Claire de Lune Clematis she get special attention.

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4894877

And the Azelea's reward my efforts

Thumbnail by gldandrews

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4898596

I don't talk to my garden but I do tend to talk to myself a lot in the garden... And the dog usually talks back to me thinking I am talking to her.
mudpiegirl
Los Lunas, NM

May 3, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4898674

That clematis is gorgeous! You must definitely be saying the right things!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #4909526

I thought that was a requirement. Talking to them just has been what we do from DGM aunts, DSis...I never thought any of us was weird.
DaysDawning
Napoleon, OH

May 21, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #4981487

LOL! You're all a riot!

Lesson learned a long time ago: I can talk ... I just have to refrain from singing!! My plants and gardens do not like to hear me sing! Must be the pitch of my voice. LOL!

I agree, the problem really only occurs if they talk back to us.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #4993007

I'd rather talk to my garden than some of my neighbors*G*

P
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

May 23, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4993383

I recently threatened my bergenia and dancing dolphin vine. I've had both for 3 years with no flowers. So I read them the riot act i.e. "no blooms this year and you're compost!" A week later the Bergenia put out a cluster of flowers and last week the dancing dolphin hs buds. So don't think they're not paying attention.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #4999774

Too funny, Maureen! I threatened my liriope in much the same way, except I said, "You know, you guys can be replaced with a bunch of daylilies!" Not a week later what had been brown and dead-looking had new growth and was even spreading. Seems harsh to threaten them, but I think some of them need tough love. ;)
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

May 26, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5007209

Each child is an individuall...
mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5008043

I dragged a big potted Brugmansia out of the back yard and ran out of energy near the trash barrels. Was going to chop it up and put it in to compost, but I was tired, so I left it there. 2 weeks later I had buds all over it and got the first nice flush of flowers it ever gave me. Now it's in the front yard and will stay where it is until it needs another threat against it's life. I have a variegated Brugmansia that gave me it's best flush after a near-death experience with frost. LOL Some of them need a little tough love.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5303876

Oh, I love this thread! Thanks for showing me I'm normal! I talk to my plants everyday. I tell them good morning, good night, I baby them, I yell I them...they're like my children! : )
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

July 24, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5313076

I wouldn't go so far as to say we're normal. As I was discussing the state of t he world with my phlox yesterday...
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5313188

The craziest thing is not only I talk to them, but I BABY TALK to them too, ahhahaha!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5313191

I have a Hall's Honeysuckle 4 yo without ever a bloom. Moved it to a sunnier spot and explained to it no blooms this year your gone. Just this morning I found 7 buds. It works to threaten them I'm thinking.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5314947

Hehe...baby talk. I just did that today, actually. I got my first blooms on my new daylily, 'Country Melody,' and the first words out of my mouth when I saw them this morning were, "Oh, you bwoomed! Lookit you, you wittle sweetheart! You're so purty!"

I'm so ashamed. lol
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5314954

I meant to include this photo, but I had a case of premature post-u-lation. *blush*

Wouldn't you talk to this little sweetie?

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 25, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5318126

hahaha! Do not be ashamed! That's so cute, just what I do! Sometimes I worry the neighbors can listen though, lol
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5318375

At a horticulture night class recently we debated the use of plant markers. Many liked using markers to remember names and as reference when guests ask, what is what. A few of us said no, this method of identification, while easy, doesn't allow for memorization.

Instead, taking a short stroll each morning, and calling plants by their (scientific) name works well. In a short period of time all the garden becomes more personable, as we acquire more confidence when discussing each Family; Genus; Species; etc.

How do grandparents, with several children and a slew of grandchildren/great grandchildren remember their names? With name tags?

No. A conscience, repetitious effort is used.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 25, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5318424

That's so true! I think the botanical names are cutter anyway. I call my babies by their botanical names. Hello, Lonicera! Good morning, Cecile Brunner! How are you today, Pricess Juliana? Good night, Cestrum! hahahaha!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5318976

I don't mark my plants, either (unless I'm just trying to remember what's planted where because a plant is new or something). I call them by their botanical names most of the time, too. And I educate my kids (11 and almost 14), although they roll their eyes at me.

"This is monarda didyma. The common name is bee balm, because bees and butterflies love it. Here, crush a leaf! It's got this awesome citrusy-minty smell."

Eyes roll, just a little. (They respect me too much to be obvious.) "Sure, mom. That's cool. Nice plant."
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5319004

I talk to my plants and to my cats. My neighbors think I'm nutty and my family does too! I also do the 'baby talk" when one of my plants has a baby! lol My mom used to swear that playing music for her houseplants made them grow. She always had plants near the stereo that were huge!

Susan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5326409

I try to call my plants by their botanical names as well. And I am teaching my 2 yo granddaughter to know to. Though she may not pronounce the workds correctly (ie rudbeckia=becka, Echinacea=nasha) she's getting the idea. She is two after all.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5328001

How cute!!!
daiseycat
Assonet, MA
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5394789

Cece what a delightfull picture that brings to mind. And, what a lovely present you are giving dear gd, one that she will get pleasure from for the rest of her life. No doubt she will talk to her plants about gm. :)
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5405368

When I've been caught talking to my plants I tell everyone that they're getting an extra dose of carbon dioxide that I'm exhaling !

I'll continue talking to them until one of them yaks back at me ! LOL
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 12, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5405419

Do you guys realize how many of us talk to our plants? What's wrong with us, ahhaha!
I also talk to my garden pests: slugs, beetles, aphids...but of course I don't baby talk to them! I use bad language with them I can't post here, lol!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5406907

Yup guilty of the same. The names I've been known to cll the Jap Beetles would make a sailor blush.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

August 13, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #5407198

Same with me, only it's slugs that I battle.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5468194

I feel bad after reading this thread because I tend to talk only to the bad boys in my garden. When I'm pulling out plants that are overrunning their neighbors I tell them "I'm sorry but if you were more polite and didn't try to hog all the space I wouldn't have to remove you. But now you get to go to the compost pile and return to Mother Earth for a rest."

But you have all inspired me to make more of an effort to give my plants positive comments too.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5471217

I talk and I sing to everyone who lives in my garden: plants, bugs, birds, critters, garden fairies... :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5616387

Every time I go near a plant, shrub, tree or vine I talk to it. I am a little crazy but all the people I talk to do not reward me with such beauty from conversation! LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

September 30, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5618311

Last week I had a spot of poison ivy that I needed to "paint" with pi killer. I squated down beside it, rubbed it with the brush, and carried on in my sweetest voice lying to it about how good the liquid felt, how pretty it was, etc. "Soak it all in, it will make you feel SO good" I was sure I had completely lost my mind! So, you're all telling me maybe I really am OK?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5618455

kays_camelot if you used your 'wicked witch to hansel and gretel' voice it's perfectly normal. It's a regular event with me and the creeping bellflower. It's when I do the MMMMWAAAAHAAHAA (truly evil laugh) and dance of joy when it dies that I know it's time to increase my meds. (I have serious issues with creeping bellflower sigh).
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 30, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5618611

hahahha! You guys crack me up! Kays, you are sooo nice. I can't help myself, I'm too honest...this week I had to spray my garden for cabagge worms and all I could say was " DIE MOTHER F***S, DIE!!" lol!
kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

September 30, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5619184

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm OK, you're OK. Kay

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5620196

LOL UHM THATS WHAT i SAY TO POISON IVEY TOO!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5621131

Whew! So I'm not crazy for taking the weed picker to a dandelion or thistle while snarling, "Take that, ya little ****!"

Good to know!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America