Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: Did you feel it?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #4825972

We flew out of bed at 5:30 a.m. with quite a rumble and then our house started shaking. A 5.4 magnitude earthquake has been confirmed and was 128 east of St. Louis, MO in Olney, IL.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4831295

i herard aobut this on the April weather thread! guess they haven't noticed your post... i know how to fix that LOL
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4831374

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary and I wrote to my SIL in Massachusetts to let her know what happened. She wrote back and said "Years ago you and Ralph made the earth quake, did that happen again today?" LOL I wrote her back and said "when I told you we were in bed, I meant SOUND ASLEEP."

There was an aftershock at 11:14 that measured 4.5 .

I read that a 6.0 could be pretty rough here. Louisville did have damage to some buildings. But then we have had everything this year, why not throw an earthquake into the mix.

And the strangest thing? Not one peep from the animals for at least an hour after that. No frogs, no crickets, no dogs, no chickens, no pigs...no birds...nothing. It was incredibly quiet like everything was scared to death and frozen and couldn't speak.

It was quite a thing to feel your house shake and hear that rumble. We live in an underground house so maybe heard it more than most would've and felt it more, but I can only imagine what it would've been like if we'd been in a high rise. I probably would've wet my pants! LOL
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #4831414

OMG, i would be quiet for an hour too! Your area just doens't have quake building codes, so it could really cause seriou sdamage.

I grew up in N Cali, and always slept through the quakes. I felt so left out when friends at school would start talkiing about it, i would think, I missed it AGAIN???!!!

tf
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4831431

We have heard that from many around here, sad they missed it. I think some of the buildings are code, because we are close to the New Madrid fault and they talk about it could happen here. They say that because of the lay of the land here, a sizable earthquake could do worse damage than they do in California.

I think Mother Nature is sick of the way we take care of this land! Wants all this building and earth moving stopped.

;) Kathy
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #4831461

she certainly has a right to get grumpy!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4831480

We need to heed the warnings :)
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4831825

It was felt up this way, but I slept through it.
It is finally drying out and warming up for real I think... I have been doing some planting the last couple weeks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America