Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: What's your favorite garden mag or book?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 16, Views: 285
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4829175

I really like gardening magizines, I just got a new one called Garden gate. What's your favorites?
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4829377

Horticulture is my very fav. I also like Backyard Gardening and Neil Sperry's Gardens.
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4829682

hmmm, just got something in the mail from Horticulture, maybe I'll try it.
Chocolatemoose
North Pole, AK
(Zone 1)

April 19, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #4830550

My favorite is Garden Gate for diversity, readability, applicable info, over-all presentation and NO ADVERTISING. I've subscribed for a few years and also purchased their entire bound library of back issues from Day 1.

I also love Backyard Gardening for a friendly, easy going--"feels like it was written by real gardeners" presentation.

And while I also have a subscription to Horticulture, it is my third choice. Presentation is a bit more upscale which is nice but that is countered by too much advertising for my taste and not enough applicable info for my zone. While I enjoy it when it arrives, this is the only one of the three I won't renew when it expires.

Magazines, just like gardens...different strokes for different folks...
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #4830863

Well that's 2 for backyard gardening, I've not heard of that before, I'll check into it!

Chocolate Moose, how is gardening in the North Pole? I thought I had a short growing season! Has the tundra melted?

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #4836011

Garden Gate is the best in my book. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Colquhoun
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #4837178

current favortie, picked it up for a dollar at goodwill Friday

Thumbnail by Colquhoun

Colquhoun
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4837194

Single most important book I have read in years. It has totally changed my approach to gardening, and my outlook on the state of the world. I still haven't implemented everything I learned in the book.. but I would rank this book as being as important as, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.. I can't express enough how much hope this book gives me about the future of the planet.. if people just listen.

Thumbnail by Colquhoun

Colquhoun
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4837205

I feel kinda bad posting this here, but even though its a catalog its encyclopedic in its scope.. and I often turn to it first when I run across plants I don't know.. besides its my bathroom reading material for most of the winter.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 5:03 PM

Thumbnail by Colquhoun

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2008
11:16 AM

Post #4861395

For a chuckle, read "The $64 Tomato". A humorous story about one man's struggles to garden, I'm sure everyone can relate to his plights.
Grojo
La Mesa, CA

June 8, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5073780

Organic Gardening !
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #5081094

I like Garden Gate the most.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5107515

For magazines, I like "The English Garden" best. It has beautiful pictures of well established gardens, and each article contains a few tips from the owners and/or head gardener. A little grand, but real pretty to look at - everything from formal to the quintessential cottage gardens that the English are famous for. I like looking to see what I might be able to incorporate on a much smaller scale.

For books, I love Tasha Tudor's Garden - written by Tovah Martin with photos by Richard Brown. Tovah narrates a story about a stoic, eccentric Yankee octogenarian thru the seasons in her garden in rural Vermont. Great story, beautiful photographs. Tasha Tudor is known for her artwork for childrens books and her gardens.
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5145170

They both sounds great. I'll check them out. My latest favorite is Creating a Perennial Garden by Joan Severa. Very down to earth and some good hints...Like I didn't know that you really don't have to work compost into the soil, you can just plop it on the surface around the plants and the worms will do all the hard work...that's saved me a lot of work.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5146550

Just saw this thread about Tasha Tudor's passing in the Cottage Garden forum.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/866157/
rah127
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5172064

I like Garden Gate and Gardener's World--the second is put out by the BBC, and you can't always translate zones and plants, but it has many projects and ideas and information--adds are mostly toward the back

Garden's Illustrated is another good one if you like to look at finished gardens-it also has good writing

I am am reading a collection of essays by Elizabeth Lawrence right now--I really like it

Becky
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

June 29, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5174936

Gardening HowTo is good. Orchid Madness is a great book, whether or not you grow orchids, and I'm reading Growing Winter Hardy Cacti by John Spain. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America