Photo by Melody

Trash to Treasure: What do you do with an old shower door?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 50, Views: 478
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4833560

I have never spent much time on this forum so ya'll don't know me, but I have a shower door that I need to find a use for. It's safety glass I assume, and not clear. It looks kind of like rain on a window I think. It's framed in old cypress. DH doesn't want to give it away, but I don't want it leaning on the bathroom wall in front of the window any more. A year is long enough.lol It might be great as part of a gh, but we have a gh already. I thought about making a cold frame, but there's no room left in the yard to do that. I doubt that DH would let me break it to do mosaic stuff. What do I do with this door? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Mary Lee
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 20, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4833643

I think the door needs to have an accident.

kb
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4833983

I'm with Katie. Wouldn't that be a shame to get the shower door all
nice and clean, then it accidentally falls on the floor, then you drop
a bowling ball on top of it, accidentally, of course? ;-)

Shame to waste all those beautiful pieces of glass, especially if
the door is tempered. (snort)

Gee, ya wouldn't want to waste it. Hmm. Bowling ball and tempered glass.
Hmm.

Oops! Gee hubby, look what happened.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4834044

LOLOL Seriously though, when you break tempered glass doesn't it shatter into a million pieces? Wouldn't they be long and pointed and too small for mosaic?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 20, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4834053

No no no. Tempered glass is being used for some beautiful mosaics.

See deviant deziners thread (and blog) in the Garden Design Forum. She won Best of Show in San Franscisco. A mosaic made of tempered glass was the centerpiece.

Check it out.

katiebear
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #4834117

Hi Silver,

I'll gladly send you a handful of tempered glass so you will know what to
expect. It is such fun to work with!

KM
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #4834196

Wuvie. I just read part of Deviant Dezigner's thread. It sounds like a really involved project. I guess maybe a starter project might be covering a clay pot? I work pretty much 7 days a week. We are self employed and time and money are the same thing. We can spend our time making money or playing, but playing doesn't make money. If I break this door, I'll have lots of pieces, probably enough for quite a few pots. I was also thinking it would be really pretty to combine the mirror pieces with blue marbles or tile or something. One thing I do already have is the mask and goggles because we have a wood shop
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 20, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4835122

A frame for a mirror or picture is another good small project.

kb
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4835355

Maybe I mis-read the thread, but was she using resin to stick the pieces on or just in between after they were stuck?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 20, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4835596

I think the glass is attached with glue. To be sure, I suggest you send deviant deziner a dmail. She's very nice about sharing information.

kb
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4835664

Hi Fluter,

Actually Katie mentioned Deviant's projects. ;-) Katie, glad you did,
I loved checking out the projects.

But yes, you are right, a bit much for a beginner. Don't feel bad, I work
full time with a commute and work at home, so project time is very limited.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803136/

Link to one of the discussions.

Quoting:We can spend our time making money or playing, but playing
doesn't make money

Ah, but this is why one incorporates doing what you love with making money.
This type of project would sell out at craft shows, garden shows, etc. Some
people have money but no time or they think they have no talent, so they are
happy to pay for unique items like tempered glass art.

Have fun AND make money.

:-)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4836221

Oh, I do understand the idea of having fun and making money. Our business is custom furniture and cabinets and I very much enjoy working with wood and discovering the beauty within. We make our living at it and also enjoy it. But by the time I get home between 6 and 9 pm I am very tired. So big projects just don't happen. Small simple projects eventually happen. I just got back from an RU and brought back 30 to 40 plants. I'm getting them planted 2 and 3 at a time. Today I really should have gone to work, but it's supposed to be a drizzly week, so I'm trying to get stuff in the ground before the rain.

I'll read the thread you posted a link to. The advantage I might have over some people is that we have a shop where I can do stuff like that and not take up space in the garage.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #4836318

I'm wondering if I should start a new thread about using this glass on clay pots. I have some plants that should be in a really nice clay pot. Is there already a thread about this? I don't know if this requires special supplies and technique.

Should I post the new thread in this forum or in the Garden Design forum?

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 1:55 PM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 20, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #4837111

The other thing you could use it for is to make the top of a coldframe for the plants in the winter.. They would get just enough diffused light to survive.

I bet it would work on clay pots, but you would probably have to seal them before you glue anything to them because they are so porous, that they would retain even moisture/humidity in the air. There is a black paint that is used for airconditioning ducts that works well to seal clay.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #4837182

Ah, yes I was wondering about painting the pot first. Purple or blue would be my first choice, but if black is the only option, then black it is.

I would like to build a cold frame, but the only place left in the yard where I could do that is taken up by a bath tub that DH planted his horseradish in. I really didn't want him to do that, but it's already there and too much trouble to move.

Decorating a pot would be more fun anyway.:) So after I paint it what do I use to attach the pieces? Is there already a thread discussing this? And after I do this can this pot be left outside for the winter? When we have a freeze I don't want the glass to come popping off. What's that paint called Gourd?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 20, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #4837233

It's called Submarine cooler coating and comes in a spray can or in a pint can that you can brush on, normally, the pots are painted/coated inside, so that the moisture doesn't go into the clay which causes the freeze and thaw, which in turn causes the cracks. You will probably have to do both, because you don't want anything to cause the mirror/glass to fall off on the outside.

Also, they do sell this liquid the color of milk, that is just for this purpose, but, it is very expensive and it just leaves a thin film coating when you paint it on. They do sell it at the box stores too.

I've used all three, the spray can, seemed to me to run out faster, than the painted version, but that didn't last me long either because I had a lot of pots.

Also, you may want to use that bathtub to heal in plants in the winter and use the shower door as a lid to the tub.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4838252

I've just been given a set of shower doors too and I know I'll have 1 bowling ball from it.
Faye
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

April 21, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4838618

"It looks kind of like rain on a window I think. It's framed in old cypress."

I guess I have a different view of the door, especially since it's framed with wood. I think I would clean it up, maybe give the wood frame a light sand and polish (cypress has to be beautiful) and hang it horizontally as an accent in the garden. You could paint a garden scene along the lower edge for further interest. Or, you could hinge two panels with fabric inserts, one on each side of the door and make the 'rainy glass' door into a room divider screen. Once again, you could use paint to create a scene.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 21, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4838851

Tomato
I was about to suggest the same thing until I read your post and saw that you beat me to it! I think it would be lovely hanging off an arbor horizontally...or against a garden house..sun shining through.

Of course ..if there WERE an accident (I'd try to prevent that tho in favor of the hanging art) The BATHTUB might benefit from some glass mosaic along its edge.

Silver - any chance you or hubby can turn it into a table? It might be quite lovely framed in wood with wooden legs.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #4841878

Hmmm. Some very good ideas that I hadn't thought of. I like the idea of hanging it from the rose arbor except that the arbor is not tall enough to hang the door horizontally. Even I would hit my head and I'm 5'2".:)

Getting the wood off might be a problem. We have saws in the shop, but wouldn't the vibration from the saw break the glass? The edges of the glass are sealed with silicone, so we would have to cut it off.

At one time we were talking about incorporating the tub into our pond system. We were going to dig a hole if the ground deep enough for the tub and have the water cascade from the pond we already have into the buried tub. Sounds weird but I think it would have worked. If we had done that, then there would have been room for a small cold frame. I hadn't thought of using the tub as a cold frame. Wonder if I could ever get all the horseradish roots out of that dirt.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #4845558

Morning all.
Hate to be a spoil sport ..But I believe shower doors are Safety glass Like the windshield in your car ... not much good for any recycle craft I can think of.
Cheryl

I guess I should say its not much good after you break it .. you wont get the little pices you get with tempered glass

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 8:14 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4845589

I did use shower doors to harden off plants one year. When the basement got to full, I made a box out of straw bales and put the doors on top. It worked great. Feeling bad, I left those doors in the garage at my other house now. LOL

I have to say, the crafty ideas sound much more fun!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4845859

Badseed, did you use the straw for mulch in the spring?

The neighbor behind me had a new sewer line put in and when they did it, they had to dig within 6 feet of 2 hundred year old oak trees. These trees shade the very back edge of my yard. I expect them to die in the next 2 years. I will miss them, but it will give me a space to put a cold frame. I am assuming here that a cold frame needs to be in the sun.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 22, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4846427

oh, yeah, you can use it/the doors as painted glass stained window panels where you sit.. that would work too, draw some designs and paint each one a different color.

I also stack bags of potting soil and make a square or circle and stick plants inside that, then use the soil in spring... then start all over again in fall buying more sacks of potting soil or promix, they stack up nice.. like the bales of hay, used those in CA.. I may try getting some hay this year and then use what is left next year to start a compost bin/pile.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4846494

Yes, I did reuse the straw. ;) I try not to waste anything.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #4853128

I like the idea of not wasting anything.:) I've heard of people using straw for mulch. Are there different kinds?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4853697

I'm lucky to know farmers now and people that cut straw. You want to avoid the first cut which will have seeds. The second cut is below the seeds and the third is near the ground. I was told if they use good sharp machines that you should not have seeds in the second or third cut. This is what I was told.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 23, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4853834

My neighbor bales hay (I think that is what it is alfalfa) is that the same as straw? probably not, huh? He puts up a sign every time he bales, he cut a couple of days ago and it is sitting waiting to dry. I had been thinking about getting some bales from him. He doesn't live next door, but in El Paso, TX and comes down to irrigate and cut.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #4855446

Thanks Badseed for explaining that. I would feel so dumb asking for something like straw because I know nothing about it. Are there different kinds? If you just want it for mulch, is it cheaper to buy it unbailed?

Gourd I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know this stuff.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #4856398

Interesting reading on straw: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Straw_Bale_Construction/Characteristics/Availability_types_and_cost

I know for hay you can buy Timothy and Alfalfa.

For straw, I've seen pine, wheat, oat and others.

Typically straw is bedding while hay is food but from what I understand, both are fed to cows. Interesting info: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/archives/2004/06/20/straw-vs-hay/

Interesting thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fourseason/msg060007559489.html

The first year I lived at my little farm, a farmer down the road charged me $65 to brush hog about 5 acres, which he rolled into bales and took home to his cows. He said it was full of weed seeds (neglect from previous owner) but they'd eat it if they had to. The last two years he has done it for free because cutting it each year, has improved the quality and gotten rid of the nasty weeds and seeds that were in it. He did it early last year hoping to get two cuts out of it but the drought set in. It didn't grow enough.

He left a huge bale up by the road and I wanted to use drain tile to make one of those huge spider for Halloween but I didn't know when he'd come take it. LOL

More on hay. Who knew? http://www.hayexchange.com/

I'm not a real farmer yet but happy to be a daylily farmer. ;)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4856610

Thanks for all those links. It'll take me awhile to read all those.

I've read some threads where you talk about your dl hybridizing. How is that going?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4856619

I have thousands more seedlings to plant. LOL I also registered my first. :) It's a lot of work but I'm having the time of my life. Thank you for asking.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #4856634

What is the name of your dl?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4856708

Dan Bachman told me if I didn't toot my own horn, no one else would. LOL

It's called Lynchburg Mustang, named for the school district here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/166928/
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 24, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4857009

Wow, that is fantastic... I didn't know you were hybridizing... congratulations girl!!! off to see the link...
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

April 24, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4857351

Interesting turn this thread has taken. Thanks so much for that link to Wiki re: straw bale construction. Great info.

Now, silverfluter; what have you decided to do with the door?! Inquiring minds want to know.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #4858127

Well, I wish I could tell you. DH is still not thrilled about breaking it though - partly because he doesn't think it'll break into anything useable. I did show him the picture above, but I don't think he's convinced. I like the idea of a cold frame. I've been trying to figure out though if I made sides out of hay or straw, how do I attach the door. I have to be able to open it and prop it up. And if I used hay or straw, would I have roaches in there like I do in the gh?
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

April 24, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4859205

I think your idea of a straw-sided cold frame is a good one. I'd just put the door on top, then lift and slide it over one side. I think anytime you create an environment good for plants, it will be good for roaches. They love heat. And water. If you have an online classified like craigslist.com, you could post it there. Bet someone would buy it!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4865486

Well I guess I'dhave to find some kind of herb or something to spread on the ground to discourage the roaches. If I do the cold frame thing, I'll probably use a piece of plexiglass instead of real glass.

I'm going to try to cut through the silicone seal around the edge of the glass door and then probably cut the wood frame off with a scroll saw. Maybe a hand saw? I'm afraid I'll shatter the glass with the vibrations from the saw. I know I need to break it, but as I understand it, I need to have some kind of box around it so the glass doesn't scatter everywhere. How did Deviant desizener do that?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 26, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #4866556

put gravel on the bottom, it drains well and doesn't invite anything.. then place the hay on top of the gravel too. That may work.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #4868504

I'd be thinking about replacing some of my back porch ceiling with that door.
A mini greenhouse.
If you break it get some totally heavy plastic 2" tape from Big Lots.
(I have clear and white). It's super cheap there. Might also use leftover rool peel and stick Contact Paper
That will allow you to cut apart "sheets" of broken glass. Store in a banana box with handles. I'd reinforce box floor and sides first.
If none of those appeal there's always freecycle.
Sidney
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4871819

Sugarweed, I wish I had a back porch still. We enclosed it to make a breakfast room many years ago. I barely have a front porch. That is one of the big drawbacks of this house.

But the contact paper idea sounds good. I wonder if D Desizer uses that? It makes sense to me. Easier than making a box. After it breaks, couldn't you just peel the glass pieces off?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4872327

Yes and if you put the Contact on the pretty side you can apply silicone to a round surface and lay the contact sheet up and then cut off to make it fit.
I hope I'm making sense here.
Sidney
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #4877497

Hmmm. I think I understand. You put silicone on the pot or whatever you're decorating and then stick the glass to it and pull the contact paper off?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #4878882

Thats my idy anyhow.
I'd let the silicone dry before removing the contact paper.
We'll need pictures. I'm thinking of breaking pretty chipped plates this way. Then storing for future play.;)
Sidney
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4879544

Hmmm. If you were going to use pretty plates, you would need clear contact paper right? Can you buy it clear?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4879686

Yes, but actually you could probably see through any light Contact paper. I have this big spool of nearly clear 2" wide tape.
Big Lots hundreds of feet for $3.99.
Sidney
windbalm
Philipsburg, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #4955076

I have two old shower doors with mermaids on them, and I want to make an outdoor waterfall sculpture with them someday. I'm thinking of something kinda like those really expensive indoor waterfalls where the water shoots out of a bunch of little holes in a copper pipe that runs along the top, and then flows down a big piece of slate - only the water would flow down the glass doors instead. And I want to put the doors at right angles to one another, and have more pipe shooting some random streams of water, so you can walk right into it or put a big plant in the middle... anyway, I've got the doors, and lots of ideas...!!!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #4958339

Windbalm, that's a really different idea! Very interesting. DH might actually go for that. I haven't done anything with mine. We expanded our business last fall and ever since I've been working 24/7 it seems. But if I don't get some time in my yard soon, I be on my way to the Funny Farm instead of going to work.:)

I'm trying to figure out how we could use some of that idea in our yard. We have a small pond and plan on expanding it with a water fall and another pond, but the drop from the first pond down to the second pond can't be more than a foot unless we somehow recess the second pond into the ground. That sounds really strange. Hmmm, well maybe if we used the door horizontally. That would make a really wide waterfall.
windbalm
Philipsburg, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4960297

Wow, that horizontal idea might be really interesting! I'll be looking forward to learning more about what you decide to do.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4962930

I have a hunch that the glass would soon be covered with algae. The sides and bottom of the pond sure are.

It's probably going to be some time before we can do anything. We are just barely staying ahead of the bills right now. But that's better than not being able to pay them at all which is where we were 2 months ago.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America