Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: What do you plant to cover the browning leaves?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 1, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #4834517

I have a wonderful area of poppies along the S and W sides of my house courtesy of the former owners (I think they are Oriental poppies--reddish-orange, and really pretty!), that self-seed themselves each year. They just seem to get thicker each year, with no help from me!

The downside is how brown and scraggly they get after they bloom. Is there something I can plant along with them, that will cover the aging leaves? I always hesitate to dig and plant annuals too much in that area, for fear that I'll mess up the re-seeding process. In the same area are two wiegela shrubs, a rose that honestly needs to go away, and some daffodils that are done by the time the poppies fill in.

Would some daylilies toward the front of the area work? Or would they compete too much?
I have daffodils and daylilies planted together in back, and it is great how the daffs come first, then the daylilies cover the aging leaves and bloom later, so something is always going.

Thanks for any input! It's taken me 5 years just to get a handle on everything that was here when we bought the house, and I've been gradually learning and adding things along the way.

mudpiegirl
Los Lunas, NM

April 20, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #4837397

I have a range of self-seeding papaver somniferom varieties, some of which are in beds that are mixed with daylilies and irises. They seem to do just fine together. I don't know a thing about Midwestern gardening, but down here, breadseed poppies mix great with lavender, hyssop, blue flax, and Russian sage. I wouldn't worry too much about disturbing them. Adding a couple new plants to the bed isn't a major upheaval, and poppies are way tougher than they look. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America