Photo by Melody

Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel: other less invasive groundcovers

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow ArchangelReplies: 9, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #4834994

My husband and I love periwinkle (vinca minor) as a groundcover. It is very manageable, grows well in dry shady sites, looks great under trees, prevents weeds and the blooms are just lovely now in the spring :)

We also have the variegated version (vinca major) and that doesn't seem to have as many blooms and is in my opinion invasive, I'm always yanking it out so it doesn't take over!

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1112.htm

we have a ring of periwinkle under most of our trees, this is a newer patch starting to fill in

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #4835726

I'm another vinca lover. Mine is in bloom now, mixed with anemones, and it looks lovely. I even wish it would spread with just a tad bit more vigorous.

But some people curse it violently.
RosemaryA
Toronto, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4836086

Vinca is very pretty, but is invasive in some areas so check whether it is safe to grow in your area before planting, especially if you live near a forest.

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-22,GGLD:en&q=vinca+invasive

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #4836642

good tip RosemaryA...just at a quick glance at the USDA site, it looks like people should definitely check into even vinca major before planting; esp. if living in California or Tennessee.

I do try to plant more native and to be aware of and avoid invasive species...unfortunately we have a few other invasive plants ~ they're not ground covers so I won't mention them here.

We do have another ground cover that is invasive for us, I wish I didn't plant it, called Bishop's weed.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/546/
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4837018

Bishop's Weed is aptly named! The variegated leaves can be mistaken for lamium and lamiastrum, but the flowers are different.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4838258

I'm one of those people who curse vinca violently. A pox on Vinca major!
SharaLeigh
Columbus, IN

April 21, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #4840305

I have Vinca minor and like it, though I wish I could get more perennials to grow through it. I have it in a shade/part shade area. Another shade (to full sun) ground cover to try that has a good bit of color is Chameleon Flower. It thrives in zones 5-8, is 6-9" tall and gets dainty white flowers. The foliage has reds, creams and tons of variegated green colors. The markings remind me of a hosta but more color obviously. I saw a bed of this and loved it because it put some color into the shade. It is a ground cover, so like the others it will probably have to be watched. I've had it for two years now and still enjoy it. In fact, I wish that I had bought more so that it would be more filled in now.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4840419

Good suggestion!
doodlebug5
Round Rock, TX

June 28, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5174147

I'm in central Texas and looking for a nice groundcover to butt up to a walkway. It'll be in a mostly shaded area under dwarf nandinos so I'm looking for something with a yellow or red flower. Looking for something that will spread nicely but not take over. Any suggestions?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5174208

I'm too far from TX to suggest anything for your climate.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lamiums congminglaoshi 1 Apr 20, 2008 8:06 PM
lamium vs. lamiustrum? carrielamont 1 Apr 20, 2008 3:57 PM
Unbelievably invasive! DaylilyDiva219 9 Mar 9, 2012 1:19 PM
Beware of that vinca vine also! dancingbear27 3 Feb 28, 2011 9:29 AM
Yellow Archangel shive 4 Jan 29, 2009 2:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America