Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel: Unbelievably invasive!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow ArchangelReplies: 9, Views: 235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4837164

Thanks for this article - I feel somewhat better about the fact that we've been battling this noxious invasive since we moved into our current home in 1985!!! Even being killed to the roots by Roundup doesn't seem to affect it. It'll be gone for a little while, then sure enough a small bit starts coming up, and off we go again. Grrrr...

I hope yours is really and truly GONE... ;-)

Barb
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4837520

Some of it escaped the backhoe, and I've been digging it up by hand. Every time I think I've got the last of it, I uncover another root.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

April 21, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #4842713

In '99 we put in a long flower bed along the neighbor's fence, about 39 ft, the front half in shade. Said neighbor, Diana, was a master gardener, whose mother-in-law had moved a lifetime collection of woodland wildflowers into Diana's yard. As we were working on the new bed, she came over and said she was thinning out her plants and had plenty to share. "Here, take this..take this..take some of this..." and tossed a bounty of lovely plants over the fence for us. It was great because we had no idea what to plant, lol.
One of the things she gave us was a few little starts of yellow archangel. She had some and kept it in check by flopping the new runners over the main plant to keep it in a nice mound. HAH! I found that if I didn't do that EVERY DAY, I was doomed. For years I pulled it out and pulled it out trying to keep it in a reasonable space so it wouldn't choke out other plants or spread to other areas.
Before I knew it was a totally lost cause, I put some on the other side of the yard in a new, large shade bed with more space. It grew through the other neighbor's fence and started covering their woodpile. But they loved it because the woodpile was ugly and the vines camouflaged it.
Eventually, I gave up and sort of let the vines take over the first space, after rescuing as much as I could of the other plants. There were still a few things I was trying to keep in there, but I might have lost them because I don't see them coming up this year.
The problem is yellow archangel is so pretty! The variegated leaf is lovely all season even after the striking yellow spikes are finished blooming. My daughter had a bed under a tree where nothing would grow and she came back to get more of my archangel at least three times. But there was nothing to be choked out of that bed, lol.
Now I'm just going to prevent the spread to adjoining spaces and hope for the best. I really don't want to totally get rid of it.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4842996

At the garden center today I saw some flats of it. I backed away, crossing myself.

But next to them were some lamium Pink Pearl. I will probably regret this. Or maybe get another article out of it.
westcoastweeder
Sayward, B.C.
Canada

April 26, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4867234

I do not have achangel, but I must have a close cousin, as it grows by sending runners underground in every direction. It has a varigated white &green leaf, with tall white flower stalks. It has spread into my lawn, and is now starting to take up residence in my neighbors yards. I have tried all sorts of weed killers (sorry Mother earth :( ) to no avail. Can anyone help me? I feel terrible that it has now left the boundry of my yard. I loose sleep over this!!!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4867294

Even the backhoe didn't get it all!
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4867472

WCW, Yeah, I have a feeling that even a minute particle of the root left behind is capable of reproducing and spreading. If only the plants we WANTED to have would grow so well! ;->

If it's spreading aboveground to your neighbor's yard, you could try to keep the visible parts cut back, but underground - yikes.

Between that and Mugwort (a form of Artemesia) that came into my yard before we lived here, in a potted plant from someplace, the battle is endless.

Good luck, Lois, if the backhoe didn't eradicate it! I feel your pain.

Barb

francine38
Falls Church, VA

March 5, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9030325

Barb, I finally won my battle with Mugwort--with a very expensive herbicide. I also live in Fall Church, VA.

avjudge
Somerville, MA

March 5, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9030404

Sounds like westcoastweeder has goutweed - we had the misfortune of having some at my parents' house, planted by a previous owner, and it's still there 50 years later, EVERYWHERE. I assume its habit is the same on the west coast as in New Hampshire . . .

We never did try too hard (as in chemical warfare) to eliminate it, so I can't help WCW. We mostly tried to ignore it! But that's easier in a rather naturalistic (read: minimally-maintained) couple-acre yard in the middle of the woods than in a more manicured setting.

(I know WCW posted 4 years ago - so this ID probably won't help her.)

Anne
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9036018

francine - well, howdy "neighbor" ;-) Glad you won your battle, and please, do tell me about the pricey herbicide. I've been trying Roundup, but it's still a constant battle. I'd love to get ahead of them and KEEP ahead of them this year.

avjudge, I agree - it does sound like goutweed. We've got it scattered here and there, but at least in my yard, it's easy to pull out and isn't aggressive, which suits me just fine! It appears that WCW is no longer a subscriber.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lamiums congminglaoshi 1 Apr 20, 2008 8:06 PM
lamium vs. lamiustrum? carrielamont 1 Apr 20, 2008 3:57 PM
other less invasive groundcovers wind 9 Jun 28, 2008 8:57 PM
Beware of that vinca vine also! dancingbear27 3 Feb 28, 2011 9:29 AM
Yellow Archangel shive 4 Jan 29, 2009 2:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America