Photo by Melody

Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel: Beware of that vinca vine also!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow ArchangelReplies: 3, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4838290

I have been trying to eradicate my garden from the vinca vine. I even moved and only took a few prized plants leaving them only bare roots to try to get rid of the vine, which also travels underground and is extremely tough to pull out. Sure enough, a few small pieces of root remained undetected and I have a giant patch again. I wouldn't recommend it.
DianeEG
Galva, IL

April 22, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #4844574

Vinca is so tough when it tangles, you can't even sink a shovel into it and it chokes anything remotely fragile . The vines are like steel wire. It would make a really good horror movie: creeping and smothering.
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8397607

I used vinca minor many years ago to help fill in a large garden that I couldn't afford to buy enough perennials for, right away. It has a wonderful blue color - reflecting the sky - on sunny days. I have never found it difficult to cut or confine, but it does require that one attend to it a couple of times a year, to keep it in bounds. Doing so helps to thicken it, too. A sharp spade will cut the boundaries; and as it is shallowly rooted, a mere garden fork lifts it out easily. I use a hand fork in tight spots, and it's very effective. I wouldn't give up the leaf, and the visual restfulness of a good-sized patch of this, without a good substitute.

The reason I sometimes dig up patches of vinca minor is to make space for some new plant I just "had to have." Or when I re-organize the garden. But in general, it is placed at intervals in several distinct patches in the shade garden.

As has been noted elsewhere, all groundcovers spread by nature. I don't really know of any that don't require the gardener to make some "rules." But I do know some gardeners who won't touch groundcovers, for that very reason. To each his own -
Lorra
Indianapolis, IN

February 28, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8397800

It sounds as if there might be a bit of confusion between Vinca minor (Periwinkle, Myrtle) and Euonymus fortune (winter creeper). The winter creeper will creep and climb everywhere. If left unchecked it can smother and kill a tree. Do not take a long nap nearby. 

Myrtle is more of a lady, a creeping ground cover that has not learned to climb. The only way I can readily tell them apart is by the leaves. The Euonymus has little saw-teeth on the edge, whereas the Vinca minor has a smooth edge. Both make beautiful ground covers; however, Myrtle is easy to keep in control.

Another caution: Hedera helix L. (English Ivy) is as invasive as Euonymus but it can live like a Parasitic, when mature enough, if the main root source is severed. It took me three years to kill one in a large tree. (But that is another story.) Both winter creeper and English ivy are on the invasive list in Indiana. The birds plant them in the natural forestlands causing great havoc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lamiums congminglaoshi 1 Apr 20, 2008 8:06 PM
lamium vs. lamiustrum? carrielamont 1 Apr 20, 2008 3:57 PM
other less invasive groundcovers wind 9 Jun 28, 2008 8:57 PM
Unbelievably invasive! DaylilyDiva219 9 Mar 9, 2012 1:19 PM
Yellow Archangel shive 4 Jan 29, 2009 2:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America