Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel: Yellow Archangel

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow ArchangelReplies: 4, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shive
Nashville, TN

April 21, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4838361

I have the yellow archangel planted in shade with my mature azaleas. It seems to work well where I have it. So far it has not jumped the barricade of my stone border. It did overtake a heuchera and another small shade plant. I may find it more of a thug now that we are actually getting some rain. We've been in a bad drought the past two years. I like the look of it flowing around the azaleas. Do you know if it will hurt them?

Debra
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4838503

I don't t hink it will hurt them, it's trying to get it out of there that hurts them.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 21, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4842444

Hi, Lois -
I've gardened in shade for almost 20 years in NW IN. I pulled some misbehaving Lamiastrum last week to get it back in bounds. I've been cleaning out all my different groundcovers over the past week (last fall's leaves) and I end up swearing by the end of the day. I've got Vinca minor (two types), wintercreeper, ivy, Lamium and Epimedium (several types and which I consider a ground cover). The ivy is the worst because it spreads fast and will travel underground and up trees. The Lamium is pretty until mid summer when it needs a good shearing. But I've also found it to be pretty invasive. I've got some in a less-tended area and it will behave just like your Lamiastrum. The roots form a real mat so you have to be careful when pulling it out. I've had some luck with Epimediums. They need some care the first year but will become pretty tolerant of dry shade. The plus is that the flowers are nice in the spring. They form a pretty dense root system and are a lot easier to control than some of the other groundcovers.
laurenc1
Abilene, TX

January 29, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6065965

Would like to try yellow archangel. I live in Abilene,TX: our summers can be close to 100 for 3 months straight; our nights may be 88 at midnight; we average 24" of rain a year. My neighbor built a new garage and now my sunny perennial garden is in total shade!! Any ideas or web sites would be wonderful. Since we have water rationing every 5-7 years, I need to be as water conserving as possible. I feel guilty watering since this garden is not very close to my patio. Help, ya"ll!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6066252

Lamias are less invasive than lamiastrum.

Epimediums were mentioned above.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lamiastrum Yellow Archangel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lamiums congminglaoshi 1 Apr 20, 2008 8:06 PM
lamium vs. lamiustrum? carrielamont 1 Apr 20, 2008 3:57 PM
other less invasive groundcovers wind 9 Jun 28, 2008 8:57 PM
Unbelievably invasive! DaylilyDiva219 9 Mar 9, 2012 1:19 PM
Beware of that vinca vine also! dancingbear27 3 Feb 28, 2011 9:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America