dave

April 21, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #4839857

There are a total of 301 votes:

Yes, I'm planting a tree (what kind?)
(41 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm reducing the amount of waste I generate (any tips to share?)
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm reusing an item (what and how?)
(9 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm recycling items (what's the hardest item to recycle?)
(27 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I do most/all of the above, and now I'm going one step further (tell us!)
(90 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I don't celebrate Earth Day
(85 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Other?
(33 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

okus

(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4839872

So what is Earth Day?? and when was it invented?

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 11:05 AM

crazy4brugs

crazy4brugs
Kansasville, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #4839881

I voted other because I started doing 2 of the questions asked.
Just started using a compost bin. And started reusing plastic butter tubs (big ones) for flower pots.

TBGDN

TBGDN
Macy, IN

April 21, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #4839883

I try to live each day as a steward of the natural gifts available to each of us. In doing so I don't set aside just one day, but attempt to practice good habits every day.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
10:22 AM

Post #4839892

Other - no idea what 'Earth Day' is specifically as an organised event, nor who organises it and where, though it's not hard to guess its principles.

Agree with TBGDN; we should all treat every day as though it were an Earth Day.

Resin

whozzat08
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
10:39 AM

Post #4839921

Each Day is Earth Day.
I reuse any plastic/heavy paper container I can find for starter plants, When the plastic gets brittle I break up and use the pieces for drainage in a new plastic container. Heavy powdered or liquid laundry soap containers work good and smell good. Coffee containers don't rust now, and can be used to collect old coffee grounds for the garden. We are heavy coffee drinkers.. the garage is lined with Folgers plastic containers marked w/masking tape to store just about anything and they have perfect hand grips. The lids work under the butter tub planters.
Started paper recycling and thought I would be making a delivery once a month to the local school collection bin. With junk mail and kitchen trash/paper it is a once a week process now.
Bought a rock tumbler, and started saving all my glass (jars/bottles) to break and tumble for garden and mosaic use. Sea glass for my fountain or just to use as rocks.
dmdula
Morganton, NC

April 21, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #4839947

I don't know what day Earth Day is officially. I do my best to make every day Earth Day!
gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
11:16 AM

Post #4839968

Planting a Japanese Black Pine.
sheepdip
San Antonio, TX

April 21, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4839982

:o( I don't know how to vote. But I AM taking the bazillions of plastic grocery bags I've been saving back to the store because they are having a give-away of a re-usable grocery sack for trade!
Colquhoun
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4840035

We treat each day arround here like Earth Day, so we don't really do anything special on Earth Day
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4840073

In general, I go with the others that every day is Earth Day. We try our best to recycle, reuse, etc. But specifically, although we are not planting a tree, DH and I are choosing trees to plant in our front year this year.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4840081

They give truck loads of compost here where i live and we got get a few loads
THey ask for a 10.00 donation-well worth it!!!!

Im always planting too!!!!
rosa18
Bartlett, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4840221

I am planting 2 trees, dozens of roses etc. Have 2 composters going. My tip is keep your reusable shopping backs in the car, so you always have them on hand. Many retailers are giving away bags to celebrate Earth day or they can be purchased for 1$ at most stores. Keep the plastic out of the landfills...
Jill
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4840607

I remember in school celebrating earthday back in the 60's . We picked up trash from our local wetlands, collected bottle and cans , started seeds to plant, each grade did something. I think of it as an awareness day . partly because of my experience as a kid I now do treat every day like earthday . I compost both in ( vermi) and out doors I use only organic products on my property I bring my own bags to the grocery store ( if I can remember them ) I try to buy local and recyle what I can . ect ..So I think the point of earthday is not for those of us who are aware but those of us who are not. like the guy who called into radio station garden show and asked if there was a chemical he could put down to kill worms!
laura

plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4840915

This may sound like heresy but we dispute all the stuff we hear about "green" and Earth Day. As children of the depression we were brought up to use up, reuse, etc. so earth day is everyday for us. I am so thankful that we have plastic bags from the stores nowadays so I don't have to spend money on such to line my garbage and trash cans. When I was young and before the days of disposals we used to use sheets of newspapers to empty various garbagy stuff on and then fold it up and toss in the garbage. With a little common sense people can keep the earth friendly along w/the environment and we wouldn't have to have a separate day for all this.

Ann
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4840968

It is a corny statement, but EVERYDAY is Earth Day. We must recycle, compost, reduce waste, and conserve every day, not just one day per year. On Earth Day, the best thing to do is to assess what you can do for our planet and then do it from then on.
I compost and recycle. The hardest things to recycle are toxic wastes, in the form of bug spray, batteries, and other household chemicals. I can't dump poison in my septic system b/c I have a well for water (plus a pond and there anre wetlands nearby) but our town only has one or two toxic waste collection days per year, and they are bad at getting the word out.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4841089

Yes, I agree, every day is Earth Day.

I'm donating time and money to the Nat'l Parks Fund. They have a clean-up crew you can join any time you wish.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #4841097

I try top make every day an earth day, I plant what I can when I can, recycling doesn't happen in our neighborhood - pity, and as for re - using I always do whenever its possible!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #4841108

I voted "other" and I agree with Jax4ever. We should all try to do our best EVERY day to save this earth for future generations. If each person on this planet changed just one thing they do every day to reduce, reuse, recycle ... what a difference it would make!

Earth Day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4841413

I'm feeding my worms. If they are happy I figure my Earth is happy ☺
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4841607

Planting trees, hopefully it will be later this week, as we've had rain the last 3 days. Moutain Ash - 3
Southern Magnolia
Sunset Red Maple
Yellowwood
Stewartia
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #4841616

I think it is important that we remember each day is Earth Day. Anything and everything we can do every day will make a difference. Above all, instill these values in our children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren.
kaniam
Stafford, TX

April 21, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #4841821

I just purchased some reusable grocery bags and have begun shopping with those. I also intend to take back all of the old plastic ones to be recycled.
Lotsalilys
Maple Heights, OH

April 21, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4841872

I am using the plastic gorcery bags as packing materials, rather than peanuts, popcorn, or newspaper, and it is working well.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #4842004

I've already planted an apple tree and two kumquats, and I'm arranging for the installation of solar screens to reduce a/c needs a bit. I recycle newsprint and plastics in the city's pickup program.
Twonewfs
Belgium, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4842406

My best friend and former college roommate always made me hug a tree on Earth Day. It's corny but I still do it every year. I do all those other things mentioned as often as I can, but Earth Day (founded by my fellow Wisconsinite Gaylord Nelson) is the only day I actually hug a tree.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #4842422

Not sure if I really celebrate it, but I try to recycle all that I can.
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #4842491

I don't do anything specifically for Earth Day, but it reminds me to keep doing my part, which I try to do all year...not just one day per year.

:)
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #4842575

I voted other. I try to "reduce, reuse, recycle" every day, and I always plant at least one tree every year.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4842592

I am going to my son's school to teach the kids how to plant from seed (and of course, it will be a messy hands-on activity). Not really an "Earth Day" thing I guess, but it helps them learn to have respect for nature.
phuggins
Fairmont, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4843288

I do my best to reduce/reuse/recycle every day...it's how I grew up...not necessarily "green", but more like "Yankee thrift." (Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.) But in addition this year my global climate change class is helping to host an Earth Day Fair in the university student center. I am contributing Earth Day cookies frosted to look like, well, the earth. Wrapped in wax paper and tied with biodegradable cotton twine, of course. :)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4843543

I plants any trees and plants on April 22 it Earth's Day... It need for Mother's Nature...
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 22, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4843725

There is no celebration, But we do recycle to the point that we have no garbage. Food scraps go in compost pile, plastic goes in plastic bin glass goes in glass bin, meat scraps go to cat, all paper goes to garden as part of mulch. Metal goes to salvage yard, get paid for that.
Car batteries also have a value, get $$ for them as well. Every thing has a use. Some things do cost to get rid of, however as the government is slow to learn, They are finding that if the total weight of recycling is dropped on the consumer. there is only a small percentage that will recycle. people don't like to make a purchase only to have to pay again to get rid of the waste product. The more programs that open up for recycling without charging the consumer to death, more people will recycle. I do burn tree trimmings. but the wood ash goes to the garden as a source of potash.
FoxtailFavPalm
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4844106

I answers most of the above. I recycle aluminum cans and grocery bags. Soon I hope to start recycling plastic, glass, and newspaper. I started a vegetable garden which can also have its advantages. I am growing 40 or more Live oak trees and by the time the next Earth day rolls around they will be big enough and I will sell them for less than $5 to persuade others to plant more trees! I cant wait.
NWGordon
Snohomish, WA

April 22, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4844627

Planted a red dogwood and a bunch of other plants today.Mostly because the snow melted and it hit 50 degrees with sun, sort of. But also for Earth day!!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

April 22, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #4845128

I planted a Japanese Black Pine too, plus some Indian cyprus & Hovenias. Wish I could take you up on the oaks Foxtail. Thought of growing truffles with them? You could innoculate them whilst they are young.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4845235

I attended the Earth Day Celebration in Arlington at the Molly Hollar Wildscape. They had numerous exhibits & a tour to teach people about the value of native plants, water conservation, recycling, even the planting of host plants for butterflies.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #4845281

Not planned for this but, I will be planting shrubs today on shelter belt strips in my garden. 25 Choke Cherry
25 Blue Arctic Willow
25 Red Osier Dogwood

Also this spring I am removing our old barn & silo. Rather than burying the concrete, it will be hauled off for recycle.

Two years ago we recycled an old chicken house. We saved & added on to the old concrete slab & built our woodworking shop there. On all our buildings, I use chip board for sheeting. It is made in Northern MN from poplar trees which grow fast & are renewable. (Is that the right word for harvest, then replant the same crop for another harvest a number of years down the road.) The poplar trees in MN grow like weeds, so no harm to the forest!

Have a Great Day!
Bernie
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 22, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #4845675

My DH and I spent the morning trying to convince a Kitten Rescue that we would be great parents, even though we would let the kittie out in the backyard to visit the koi pond and bird feeders. They insist that their rescues stay inside only. Came home and planted 15 lavender plants!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4845830

As farmers, we are always celebrating Earth Day, but I do remember the first one back in 1970. It didn't get a lot of press, but after 38 years, it's still happening. Too bad we didn't all take it more seriously in 1970, hindsight being 20/20

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4846276

I wrote an Earth Day Article! OK, we recycle everything I can take out of the trash before DH puts a $3 sticker on it to throw it away! The hardest stuff to get rid of is "hazardous waste" - used computers, microwaves, etc. Batteries! stuff that wasn't intended for the Earth in the first place. xx, Carrie
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #4846373

Agreed. The "hazardous waste" dump is many miles away, and since I'm no longer driving, I don't know how I'll get rid of the stockpile of stuff accumulating in the garage. I'm most concerned about the exhausted CFL's, one of which was broken (gasp!) Leaking mercry is bad news. Yuska
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4847473

I do all of the above but don't have anything special planned for today, so I voted other. I guess it could be a good day to add some stuff to the compost pile and turn it...but I really don't consider that something special for Earth Day...that's more like a regular Tuesday.

I saw a t-shirt at Wal-Mart last night that I thought was too funny, and I would have bought it if they came in normal sizes (something other than so tight you can't breathe in them). It had a pic of the earth on it and it said "Respect Your Mother" Maybe I'll just make my own sometime.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4847827

phuggins, I loved the Yankee thrift poem!! I hate junk mail and I feel so smug when a company sends me a letter on regular 8.5X11 sheets and wastes the other side of the sheet. I turn them over and place them in my printer to print recipes and maps and other items I print from the computer. When they have served their purpose, (like the maps to my new doctor's office) I shred them and compost them. It feels like I scored a point against the junk mailers.chuckle. No paper leaves my house without both sides being used and then recycled some way. Other junk mail not accepted by our city pick up program is shredded and composted. I compost dryer lint and cat hair as well as the contents of the vacuum cleaner bag. The popcorn kernels that are always in the bottom of the bowl that failed to pop, I crush with a brick and put out for the blue jays.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

April 22, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4847959

Did you know that according to the EPA, Nationwide 75% of the trash we throw away is recyclable yet only 30% actually gets recycled?

I do recycle, but probably not as much as I should.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #4848143

I'm surprised so many are not familiar with "Earth Day"!? (-:

(But I suppose if you don't have children in school who bring home all the updates and news, the celebration could be overlooked/missed. That's how I always got the newest news and first heard of Earth Day)

FYI is Melody's very good article about it, if anyone wants a little more background on the day: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/994/

And here is a New York Times link for Senator Gaylord Nelson.. Senator Nelson of Wisconsin founded Earth Day in 1963 as part of a Grass Roots movement to recognize pollution and depletion of natural resources as national and international issues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/04/politics/04nelson.html

And I agree, everyday is a day to conserve and celebrate the blessings of Mother Earth, but I do like it that there is one day designated to remind everyone about conservation and recycling practices and to celebrate stewardship of our Earth.

And I think the 'day' gives us an opportunity to spread the word to others and reflect on what other actions we can take in our community, home, work, and 'third place' (i.e., our other hang-outs like Starbucks, school, church, card club, whatever.)

What are we doing for Earth Day in our family? Mmmmm...we planted a cherry tree today, we spread our chopped leaf mold on our Butterfly Garden, this week we stopped drinking bottled water, and we're having a vegetarian dinner tonight. Beans instead of meat. We try to do this two times a week. Different for us, and just a small gesture, but we feel every little bit helps if everyone takes part.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4848633

I voted "no" because I recycle and compost and use a recycle place for yard waste and do all I can as a Master Gardener to educate others on the importance of doing so

Way back on this thread someone asked how to vote. Go back to your home page and scoll down until you see it on the right hand side of the screen. Vote there and it will bring you back to here.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4848877

I guess that I've never paid any attention to "Earth Day". I voted that I don't celebrate it but as chance would have it I did plant a Pindo Palm and a Queen Palm in my backyard this week. I also compost kitchen and garden waste but recycling is not offered by our refuse company, so until they do, I don't do very much of that.
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4848917

I teach in an elementary school. Another teacher and I are the Earth Day committee. We decided to make use of some of the gazillions of acorns that fell this past fall and collected them at our homes and at school from our wildlife habitat. So all the students planted an acorn! I teach third-fifth graders and thought they would think it was beneath them, but I was amazed at how excited they were! They asked lots of questions and were thrilled to find out they would actually get to take their tree home.
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4849194

Voted "other" as I just try to be conscious of our impact on the planet at all times. We have tried to decrease our "carbon footprint" as much as we can, including planting an organic veggie garden, but I am certainly guilty of sometimes succumbing to the "easy" route (paper towels, plastic wrap, zip-lock freezer bags instead of butcher paper and foil, etc.).
cercis
Southwest, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4850716

Each day is really Earth Day!

Yes, I am going one-step further than what I already do. I plan to shortly restart my worm composter and

perhaps most significantly work on recycling initiatives for the small residential community where I now live.

Thumbnail by cercis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #4850781

A few years ago, I had a revelation. In a public bathroom, no less! I washed my hands and then shook them and just stared at them. They dried all by themselves!

Our biggest environmental task is taking on the many-tentacled monster that keeps spewing out toxic products for our consumption. I'm chronically non-functional from mercury toxicity, so I don't have the energy to go into the den of the beast and slay it, but I DO have the energy to drive my friends crazy with information (that they don't always want).

Such as:
If you store your food with plastic wrap, it absorbs cadmium and bisphenol-A.
If you use a citrus-oil cleaner and there is ozone in the air, they combine to produce formadehyde.
Aspartame is neurotoxic.
Memory foam offgasses enough chemicals to give you respiratory problems or worse.
Milorganite contains sewage sludge. Sewage sludge contains heavy metals and God-knows-what.

Avoidance of toxins accomplishes three very important things: 1) Your poor body gets a break from being poisoned. 2) You don't enrich the companies that are responsible for the chemical onslaught. 3) You don't help to foul the nest (Mother Earth).
vanillaman
Monte de la Cruz
Costa Rica
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #4850935

I picked "Other" because none of the others seemed to fit my situation. I almost chose "Don't Celebrate Earth Day", but it's more like I don't recognize it or even acknowledge it. I sort of thought I "celebrate" it everyday, but then decided that no I don't actually celebrate it. That word didn't fit either. I'm just ecologically and environmentally "aware" and try not to pollute the Planet. It's an extremely complex topic, but I think most people these days are very far-removed from the natural world, which is a shame. No one should have to be told not to toss garbage out the window or only think of the environment one day each year. It is very much "common sense" and should become second nature, like breathing!

vm
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #4851127

Vanillaman ~ in a perfect world that is true but it will never happen.

It has been proven that the change will be in the future generations, not the present. As Tabasco posted above
Quoting: (But I suppose if you don't have children in school who bring home all the updates and news, the celebration could be overlooked/missed. That's how I always got the newest news and first heard of Earth Day)
The education to change will be finalized thru the children. They will come home and try to educate their elders. Meanwhile, those who are aware must continue to plug away in an attempt to improve the earth... hence, Earth Day. 8 )
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #4851985

I pay no attention to any official day but do recycle everything possible every day. Around here glass is nearly impossible to recycle. I have to take it 60 - 90 miles to places that will take it. I give a lot of it to my DD who takes it to her landfill about half of the time. A lot of good that does. But she also has trouble finding any place that will take glass. They tell us it is so heavy that trucking it or even moving it by railroad to the few places that recycle it is too expensive to be feasible.
vanillaman
Monte de la Cruz
Costa Rica
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #4852469

That's true podster, but I still don't agree with having an "Earth Day" per se for many reasons which are beyond the scope of this Forum!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 2:17 PM
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #4852579

Quoting:I do most/all of the above, and now I'm going one step further (tell us!)

I planted a veggie garden this year. :)

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #4853037

our recycling pickup was today. we always recycle the papers, cardboard and cans and bottles. I have started using my three IKEA plastic carry sacks at the store because they started a program that lets you zip through checkout when you utilize their "shopping phaser". It's a handheld device that reads the barcode and then adds it on to your total. You put whatever it is into the shopping bag {yours or theirs} and then the register reads it at check out. you don't have to unload your cart and reload it. the machine keeps a running total and pops up little ads that feature weekly specials.
I hate to recycle cardboard, because that is always a wrestling match to get it down to the acceptable size for the recycle truck. Everything else just goes into the bin and they take it away. Also, I try to buy items with the least amount of non-recyclable packaging.
Martha
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #4853083

I posted my response on the 21st. We had to celebrate Earth Day over the weekend. But on the 22nd, I did go to a therapist and asked, "How come when I was single, I generated one brown paper bag of trash a month, and now that I'm married, we generate five times that amount?" He just stared at me. I had to remind him that I was paying $90.00 for this little half hour and he better come up with something!!

Now we do recycle everything but I know we can do so much better than that!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4853452

leaflady, you might want to try posting your glass free on craigslist.org. You can post for free and your contact info is just email. You could leave your glass at the curb when someone plans to get it, thus not even having to wait around for them to come :)

I've seen many a folks posting odd things for free there to "recycle" it such as broken concrete, old housewares, empty EGG cartons no less etc. Many schools could use such things to for craft projects. So SOMEONE somewhere out there would want your glass I'd venture to say!

Voted: don't "celebrate" earth day in the sense that we honor it one day. We try to do the 3 R's but I'm not a green buff as that also means recycling my grocery plastic bags as trash can liners :). We also plant on average one tree per year wherever we've lived.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4853577

I try to live every day as EarthDay since 1970 when the first one caused me to read up on recycling and reducing waste. I am happy that it is finally catching on with others as I saw special segments on it on Oprah and Martha Stewart today. I hope more exposure will be a good thing. I have been taking my plastic bags to be recyled and decided today to take my own bags shopping to eliminate the use of plastic bags. Hope the stores will all allow that!
plantnative
Howell, MI

April 23, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4853724

I planted 3 white pines for my children. Earth day was started in Ann Arbor Michigan in 1970. It's not just about recycling but planting anything for mother earth. If we all plant more native wildflowers that
would help out a lot. These plants are easy to grow and very hardy! I also planted native woodland phlox.
vanillaman
Monte de la Cruz
Costa Rica
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4853989

I'm killing myself laughing here, digatunnel! Do I sense a little anger there lol! I'm not laughing AT you so please don't take it the wrong way, but I can just picture the poor Therapist and his reaction! I hope he/she gave you a good answer by the way!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4854121

I picked up a free tote bag from HD and used it and another one for groceries today. Oprah's show reminded me to do that, and I will get more reusable bags for groceries, too. I always brought the plastic bags back to the store and put them in the recycling barrel. All our junk mail goes to the recycling dumpster at the animal shelter, so the shelter gets the money.

We always remove our name and address and any other personal info from all papers and shred them--the shredded paper also goes into the recycling dumpster.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4854348

I planted six fruit trees and six raspberry plants. I also shred all old mail and bury in small amounts in my garden to improve the soil. I just made bird houses from old folger plastic coffee cans. I try to do what I can, still far from perfect though. We have no recycle program here and it is too far to haul it conveniently. Like most gardeners I re use alot of jars for seeds and containers for plants.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #4854377

I don't celebrate Earth Day. I do try to be as easy on the Earth as I can be every day. I recycle, compost and plant trees and shrubs whenever possible -- I am now running out of room at my home.
We have to make every day earth day if we are going to stop global warming.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4854630

I think it's more of an every day thing. But having a designated day helps to spread awareness. We all need to be aware of what we over-consume and what chemicals we put in the ground.
latelybloomin77
Kilgore, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4854862

I'm planting an Oleander, I think that's a tree. I recycle computer paper by putting it in printer as new paper, just using the other side. I've only started that recently. I recycle newspaper & plastic bags, by using them for various other purposes. (Cat litter, garbage, puppy training pads, etc. They sell more plastic bags for these purposes, when we have plenty leftover bags, that can be used just as well. I enjoy celebrating Earth Day. It brings me back to the H.S./College days where we would all take a trip to Central Park for a celebration. I think their version of celbrating was a little off to the true meaning of Earth Day, but nonetheless, it was a lot of fun, those many years, and many years ago!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #4855762

So wonderful to see the reaction to this question ...I am not surprised because most gardeners realize more than anyone about caring for the Earth in all of the many facets of every day living ...so like you I voted *other* as every day is earth day here too!
chrissy
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #4856492

I voted 'Other' - I rescued a bunch of plants from a lot that was going to be razed. :-)
larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #4856923

i am going to move from "trying" to use re-usable bags at the stores to actually doing it
we do recycle, however i'm sure there is a lot more we can recycle and even re-use

my husband found a bus to use for commuting to work, since we are about 80 miles from DC and that can easily be over 2 hours each way including metro the money saved is huge and he gets a subsidy for commuting & can relax while others fight traffic and doesn't have to drive more than 10 miles each way to the bus and home...helps in multiple ways

we are doing a veggie and fruit garden this year...have bought several fruit trees and berry bushes along with veggie plants and seeds
we get our own eggs
working on setting up compost
i started consolidating errands...having moved to a more rural location (not way out, but out of the way none-the-less) it's easy to end up driving 50-100 miles round trip or each trip, so i hit as many places as possible on one trip and try to go out once during the weekend w/o going during the week (has been easy with one car needing repairs ;-) )...luckily the bus meeting place is in a walmart parking lot & across from tractor supply & lowe's, so if basics are needed DH can pick up on his way home
i have found some items much cheaper on line w/free or cheap shipping that eliminate the driving around looking

these things fall into an every day earth day category, however i like using the celebrated earth day as a reminder
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4857734

Vanillaman - Actually he did! He told me to get my DH out in the garden with me more! (All DGer's are well intentioned. No worries!)
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #4857857

I am dissappointed that one of the options for voting was not going organic or reducing, and reponsibly applying feritilizers and pesticides. The home gardener along with such institions as golf-courses are HUGE contributors to nutrient wash into the watershed. As the nutrient load soars phytoplankton blooms explode. That sounds good, but they have short life spans, they die sink and decompose, depleeting the deeper areas of the estuaries of oxygen. Fish which use the cool deep currents are forced into warmer surface waters to which they have not evolved, stress and disease then strike the fish. These are fish we eat, such as the striped bass. Huge dead zones apppear to be growing in coastal areas across the globe. So... Resist the urge to fertilize. Use compost and other organic fertilizers instead of chemical fertilizers. If you absolutely need to us something stronger opt for ferilizers that you work into the soil, thus reducing runoff. And don't apply pesticides or foliage applied fertilizers such as Miracle-Grow if rain is in the forcast. Remember, everyone is uphill from the sea, our gardens are connected to the gardens of coral, and we are destroying them.
enya_34
Madison, WI

April 24, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #4857933

I am with all those that said - each day is an earth day. But this year I added a fruit tree - hardy quince to my landscape. Montgomery Cherry was last spring. I did not plant them on the "Earth Day" exactly, but think about them as two trees that will give more than shade :)
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4858147

For those of you curious about the history of Earth Day I am posting a link to Wikipedia's entry on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #4858431

Speaking of fish, I recycle our old pond water by watering the plants with it--fish poop makes great fertilizer!
Cheeto
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4860967

Earth Day is for people who need something to make them feel good about... for a day. I love the idea of composting, organic gardening and planting trees. I detest the agenda that events like Earth Day represent. The people who started Earth Day probably flew their G-4's around the country, burning the fossil fuels they constantly tell us not to burn ourselves so that they can give speeches telling us to stop burning fossil fuels. How convenient for them.

latelybloomin77
Kilgore, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4862532

And on a lighter note, I forgot I planted a Raspberry & Blueberry tree! First time having my own little tree!! he he he Michelle
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4864054

Thanks for posting that very interesting Wiki article about the history and significance of Earth Day, sladeofsky. The article made some good points, perhaps not news to to most DG members, but worthy of a reminder to 'keep on talking' to our friends, neighbors and leadership about our concerns for conservancy and stewardship principles intrinsic to the meaning of Earth Day, especially on Earth Day but everyday, too.

I thought the most interesting part of the message was that this event, which has effected change for the good all over the world, was propelled by the power of WOM (Word of Mouth) marketing as a grass roots movement. --A tribute to the power of the individual who engages his neighbors and friends in simple dialogue to promote active change.

For those who are not familiar with the founder of Earth Day--here is a link to Senator Gaylord Nelson's Obituary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/04/politics/04nelson.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I am encouraged to read about everyone's efforts to protect our Earth for the generations to come. The spirit of Earth Day seems to be alive and well here on DG! (-:
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4864597

Cheeto, well said!!!!!!
whozzat08
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4865179

I planted a Pecan, Live Oak, Holly and 3 (rescued after Xmas sale) Norfolk Pines.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4865705

i reuse, recycle lots of things. i still don't "celebrate" earth day. and i am planting things most every day. i'm a gardener. i love the earth and i care for it EVERY day.
CascadeMom
Cascade Mtns, WA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2008
6:48 AM

Post #4865987

Earth Day is celebrated here in the Northwest. We have a fair at the local park with booths that both sell and educate.
And their is also the music and food.
Everyday 'should' be Earth Day, unfortunately we are still a culture aimed towards convenience and not responsibility.
It takes a bit of effort to REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE and a little is not enough.

I always thought I did pretty well by using cloth bags for groceries (25+ years now), recycling all my plastics and glass.
We do not get papers or magazines and buy bulk products in minimal packaging. But this past year I reviewed just
where we could improve.

I noticed all the large plastic gallon jugs sitting around and waiting for the recycle bin.
I realized the jugs are a petroleum byproduct, the transportation of them also uses petroleum...
since the largest weight of any of these gallon jugs is WATER; I decided to make my own... dish soap, laundry soap,
cleaning solutions, etc etc. Now I am not also saving money but reducing the use of oil.

I also started making glassware out of old wine bottles. I live in wine country so there is a huge amount of unrecycled
wine bottles. Less than 20% of glass gets recycled and of even that amount our local recycling center has to PA Y to have it
taken into recycling.

At the local Earth Day festival we sold several dozen and many more are now aware and enthusiastic about
the idea. We have 1 restaurant in town that ordered a few dozen to trial test... another local flower market wants a few
dozen for vases and will display the glassware for sale.

With any luck and a lot of hard work we will make this a small local industry to turn local trash into a local treasure
and reduce the flow of glass into the dump.

Before recycling... REDUCE - REUSE - then recycle.
I am sure in the years to come I will find even more ways to reduce my personal dependence on oil and other toxic
components to our living on this incredible planet.

Thumbnail by CascadeMom

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4867145

What a terrific idea, CascadeMom--they are beautiful!
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4867755

It sounds kind of silly, but I finished "transitioning" my kids from baggies to washable containers for their snacks. Two kids x two bags per day x 5 days of preschool a week = lots and lots of wasted plastic.
CascadeMom
Cascade Mtns, WA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #4870868

Thanks KY the different colors of the glass remind me of jewels.
emerald green, topaz yellow, sapphire blue.

Tucson, not silly at all... it's a start, and good for your kids to know you are concerned.

Thumbnail by CascadeMom

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4870942

Our town had an Earth Day fair yesterday. It was well attended and I was amazed at the people who were amazed at solar energy. We are thinking of buying the collectors and were actually shopping at the vendors for prices and ideas on how to go about it so we stood around that area for quite awhile. Anyhow, I was amazed at how many people seemed to not know about things like the solar garden fountains and lights. So it was good to get the word out to lots of people who didn't seem to know. Sometimes I think those of us who have been doing this for so many years think that everyone is aware--and they just aren't!
bgrumbin
Barstow, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4871753

The town near my little house in the desert had an Earth Day And Butterfly Day gathering on Saturday. I got some good information and contacts for "How To Transform Desert Soil" into a growable medium. Then I went out to inspect a parcel of barren desert land for possible purchase and improvement. Then I came home to create a planting area for some avocado pits in hopes of eventually having one or more avocado trees as part of my intended orchard (which already has one young apricot tree starting to grow near the top end of my land). The attached photo shows a cactus bloom on the land I inspected, one of those precocious realities which are part of why I love this barren desolate desert land.

Thumbnail by bgrumbin

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4872066

Wellll.. I am getting ready to leave the BIG city for the more country living...I plan on a food garden, chickens, a couple pigs and a couple calves as well as a pond for fish..I am also going to be looking into Solar collectors for my hot water if nothing else...I plan to find another wood stove for winter cooking and one to heat the house...Best biscuits I ever made were in an old Jupiter Arizona wood burning cookstove.. Composting, and feeding the hogs will help with food scraps...Worm bins and plants will be delighted to see newspaper and coffee grounds just for starters...There is also the Freecycle movement that can be found at http://www.freecycle.org ...Just look up your state, and find a city near you ..If there isn't one, consider becoming a Group owner/moderator, and get one going in your area...
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4872314

I reuse many things. When I go grocery shopping, I occassionally get disgusted looks when I ask for plastic grocery bags - but I use them as liners for my smaller garbage cans. If I didn't, I'd have to go buy the plastic anyways. I also reuse newspaper in any way that I can, produce plastic bags if not damaged can be reused, I reuse my plastic milk jugs for cold water in the fridge and for watering plants and making plant cocktails. etc... etc... etc...
helianthus
Manchaca, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #4872977

Planting a bur oak.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #4873360

We began recycling after the original Earth Day in 1970. Back then we had to haul everything to a recycling center, a real chore. Now, thanks to citizen pressure on our city council, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum, and tin are all picked up at the curb on garbage day Also as a result of Earth Day (and the whole environmental movement that inspired it) we gave up pesticides in our home and garden, and we drive a compact car. Our next car will be a hybrid or maybe there will be something even better by then.

Earth Day grew out of citizen frustrations over pollution of our air and water and it truly helped focus our nation on environmental problems and solutions. That same year, I am proud to say, Illinois became the first state to establish its own Environmental Protection Act. My husband and I went with a group to Springfield to push for its passage. We were all ordinary citizens, not wealthy or powerful.

Today Earth Day is a yearly reminder of the importance of being good stewards of the environment. It is an occasion to celebrate our successes and renew our commitment to do more. Every year as Earth Day approaches we get lots of great new ideas and helpful information. Because I was alerted by all the talk of Earth Day in the media last week, I purchased all non-toxic cleaners at the grocery store this weekend (something I'd gotten a little careless about recently).

I think Earth Day is a wonderful new American tradition and I am sure that each year many people are newly inspired to take some personal action not just for one day but for a lifetime. Hooray for Earth Day!
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4873709

I'm not doing anything special for it. I care and do these things ALL YEAR ROUND. I think it's kind of sad that we need a special day to remind people how important these things are... but if it works...

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4873839

New Mexico has so many sun hours a year that solar energy is more achievable than most places.

I didn't do anything different in my life until a couple of years ago. Now, I use no paper products that i don't have to.. No more paper plates, napkins and I use cloth everything in the kitchen and cleaning.

This is all new to me but since I do care I am trying to turn off lights not needed, don't run the dishwasher until absolutely full (i read that washing dishes by hand requires much more water). I now don't run the washing machine unless I have a full load, etc. More water is used in the tubs and showers than anywhere else in the house so the baths are getting quicker and using much less water.

Mosquitoes are such a problem here that I am still trying to find out how to save rainwater without causing mosquitoes.

The point being...I do care about the earth but I admit a new awareness in the last few years about the use of resources that we do have.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #4875474

I didn't mean you guys when I said that. I mean people as a group. Gardeners are a special kind of people! I already know that we care!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #4875958

Micha...I have been horrible about awareness of resources available until the last few years. I think that is because I grew up a farm girl and still am where water, land, etc is plentiful.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #4876208

gessie, there is a safe mosquito killing cake that you can buy at walmart to throw in water. our city passed them out last year when we had standing water so bad everywhere. but you can also cover the barrels.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4877107

Yep, they're called "mosquito dunks", I believe, but there are other brands, too. The home improvement stores have them, too, in the garden dept.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #4878259

Thanks my DG friends! I didn't know that.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4881194

I must say, that reading through everyone's posts I'm seeing so many things we can do. Some, I'm doing already and some I'll be starting today! Thanks, everyone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America