-
AuthorContent
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #4842815

I have visited this forum occasionally in the past. I would like to try a few more Japanese Maples here in the Piney Woods of NE Texas, but would like some with green or gold/green leaf color.

We have 2 Bloodgoods, one that is 9 years in the ground and one transplanted from another landscape (in the heat of August) two years ago. We have a seedling from a friend's laceleaf (she moved it to Texas from Maryland) and another seedling I bought about 5 years ago at the Stephen F Austin State University MAST Arboretum Plant Gala sale.

We have very large old oaks around the garden and the Japanese Maples seem to like the environment.

I'd like to know if other folks here in the South have had success growing either Sango (Sangu??) Kaku or Snake Bark Maple, or, even more better would be a Fern-Leaf Full Moon Maple.

This first pic is of the 9 year-in-the-ground tree

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by maggidew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #4842848

Here's the seedling form SFASU MAST Arboretum. I like the bright green color, especially with all the shade around here, it really brightens up the garden.

Thumbnail by maggidew

mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

April 22, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4844044

I would not recommend a snake bark maple because I think the heat might be a bit too much for that one, and I would be cautious about a sango kaku but more because of psuedomonas (don't buy it if it has any signs of black bark). If you are looking for something like japonicum 'aconitifolium' it should do fine, but it will not be a very bright green. I would look into something more like palmatum 'orange dream' or a similar variety. It stays bright yellow green for most of the summer, and is bright yellow orange in spring.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 22, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #4846658

i have an orange dream and it's the most beautiful color i've ever seen .have a coupla full moon and they are too small to tell anything about yet altho i hear a lot of people think they are special
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

April 23, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #4849321

The golden full moon (shirasawanum 'aureum') is indeed quite spectacular, but it is touchy in good climates and almost impossible in our southern heat I would imagine (except maybe in deep shade where the color wouldn't develop). The fern leaf (japonicum 'aconitifolium') is not particularly colorful except in fall, but the leaf shape is interesting and I've found that it holds up pretty well if given a little afternoon shade in my area.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4851460

well,you got me again matt ,i don''t know which ones i have,but don't think either is fern leaf,just broad,little fat leaves. only about 10" tall
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4857494

Here's my 'Orangeola'.
This is the first year it lost all leaves.
This new 'robe' is stunning.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #4857501

Opps I forgot the picture.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 24, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4857846

sugarweed , that is beautiful! my orange dream is bright ,lime green with red outline on leaves.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4858045

I know this isn't Texas, but we are hot and humid, though not sultry as I remember all of Texas except El Paso and the High Plains.
I do remember even the plains were stiflingly hot between 10 and 3
during the summer in Amarillo.
I was so concerned as it had the same leaves for 3 years.
I am rather proud of her.
All of the planters along Michigan Avenue in Chicago had almost everything I had in my yard including Orangeola and Coleus.
Many flowers are very pretty but they all have a 'bloom time'.
I love foliage because it has a long display life.
Sidney
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4866159

Thanks for the tips! I will look for both 'Orangeola' and 'Orange Dream'. Both have leaf forms and colors that appeal to me.

I am doing a search now for a reliable seller of both!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4867020

I also forgot to say mine is in the shade of Live Oaks, gets protection from them.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4869270

I found this place in the Dallas area. Googled Japanese Maples Texas and found a Dallas Morning News article that directed me to Metro Maples http://www.metromaples.com/search.htm

They carry both 'Orangeola' and 'Orange Dream' :~)
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #4894820

I went to MetroMaples this past weekend. Now I am Japanese maple obsessed! There are so many cool ones I want to buy them all. on impulse I bought two Fire Glows. Now I am trying to plan out my next purchases more strategically.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4895023

yes you will find out quickly as most JM addicts do never buy two of any one JM ...even the largest yards can run out of space or at least JM friendly space .. always best to not be impulsive... two of any one cultivar neans one less of the hundreds available that you will be able to have ..David
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #4899233

Good point David. I was taken by so many of the maples at the Metromaple nursery. But when i went past the Fireglow section the light was hitting them in such a way that they truly looked like their name.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #4899751

Fireglow is an outstanding maple... for those in the north it is very hardy...and leafs out later than even the emperor 1 . one caviat ,as with most any JM it will burn in summer with mostly sun ...at least when young...best well site it down there with plenty of aft. shade.. David
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #4900345

All I have is shade. The nursery where I bought them is in an oak forest. If full sun would damage it where you are it would totally fry it here.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4900648

Yes although I havbe a theory humidity plays a part and I know in certain parts of TX humidity is high others not so much ...but you are correct it would fry there ... one consideration you should be aware of when you site in shade or mostly shade you sacrifice color ... If that nusery has total shade but the trees are that bright red i would guess ...and it's purly that ...that they just either got them in or have just moved them from a more sunny spot to shade ...there's nothing wrong with that pr say but be aware if you are in full shade you may get more of a bronze color...not bright red over time ... thats the red JM cronundrum too much sun you get burn ...to little you get no or little color or differnt color...depending on the cultivar. Down there it is probably more tricky to get the right amout ...you may want to put it (them) in a pot(s) and see what happens this summer move them around ...unless you have no sun. and plant out next spring or late winter in your sweet spot...David
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #4901045

Good idea. I will try them out in containers first.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America