Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective: Thanks for a very well done article.

Communities > Forums > Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 4, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4843686

Thanks for the great article, complete with pics. I use the new synthetic Pyrethroid (Lamda-cyhalothrin ) sold under the brand name Surrender Pestabs. I combine this with an I.G.R. ("Nylar"), to spray down the entire surface of our barn. There are many roaches, flies, here in the desert and this combo does a super job of helping to control "invaders". I am going back into rabbits,..and am hoping that there would not be any great harm in using these products around rabbits...? Also...off the beaten path here: Does the common feed preservative Ethoxyquine harm rabbits (the rabbit people a number of years ago despised Ethoxyquin). Thanks for considering a reply to my questions. I am a palm nut, so really enjoy your writings on palms. Anything on succulents and Adeniums/Pachypodiums are also great.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4844648

I do not know anything about Ethoxyquin and rabbits.. not sure how the two should be related? One is a dog food preservative... not aware of its use for anything that a rabbit might eat. Rabbits should pretty much be eating hay and greens... never seen either with ethoxyquin on them. Just wondering about the connection.
YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4858635

Thanks sooo much for taking the time to add your comments to my query re Ethoxyquin. Ethoxyquin is also commonly used in grain for horses. Here..most available grain mixtures for equines contains the chemical compound as a preservative. At one time, this was also a common "ingredient" in rabbit pellets. So far, I have read the analysis on one bag of rabbit food, to find,..indeed...that it does have Ethoxyquin in the pelleted ration. The negative comments from rabbit breeders stem from many years ago (over 20 years ago). Several good breeders in WA felt very strongly that Ethoxyquin possibly caused abortions, and caused the death of full-term litters. I have no idea whether this is just Hocus Pocus ...or actually founded in something more "scientific". I never fed feed to rabbits with Ethoxyquin...just to be "safe". ???

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #4860896

first of all adult rabbits shouldn't be eating grains of any kind... and if the pelleted food contains something you don't like, its far better for rabbits to be eating hay anyway. Only young rabbits should eat pellets, and if you have pet rabbits, you want to be sure to have them spayed, so abortions won't even be an issue. I know people hate preservatives of any kind, but you can probably avoid these anyway in rabbits by getting alfalfa pellets without them (you just have to buy small amounts to avoid spoilage) or get timothy pellets from OxBow- I seriously doubt they have any preservatives in them.
YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4863472

Thanks for the further input. I have bred Checkered Giant, Californian, Champagne de Argent, Silver Fox, Dutch, French Lop, Broken Rex, and New Zealand White rabbits...all on commercial pelleted rations with excellent results. Since we eat our breeding "flops" (shudder), I give the rabbits the best care that I can. I think all "captive" animals deserve that anyway. Your idea of feeding straight alfalfa pellets is a great idea for rabbits that often get too fat as they get older.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You! melody 1 Apr 16, 2008 11:57 PM
I need more advice.... Stovall_Gardens 1 Apr 17, 2008 1:35 PM
Bug poisons NormaFlora 0 Apr 21, 2008 4:59 PM
TOXIC PRODUCTS durmar 1 Apr 22, 2008 2:19 PM
You are a lifesaver! lindalou52 0 Jul 1, 2008 2:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America