Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Passifloras: Best passi for a hanging basket

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 4, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #4845039

I hung 2 wrought iron planters (1 side flat, the other side round) on my fence. I have ordered a few passis, and am growing a Mollissima. The passi will hang down naturally, but I can also train it across maybe 2-3 feet. The liner is one of the coco-liner so it will drain well. Should I add some of the water retaining crystals?

Which one would be best for the basket out of these:
White Wedding
Lady Margaret
Lady Lavender
Mollissima

Thanks, Jennifer

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #4845666

if it were me i would not add water retaining crystals, but that is MHO
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #4861443

Any opinions on the type of passi?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4867584

Hi Jennifer, of the 4 types passi. I've two of those. Lady Lavender survived my zone x2 years planted in the ground, but last year it didn't have enough time to produce flowers before frost killed back to the ground.

Lady Margarette however, grew back but bloomed late in the Fall, and this spring I haven't seen neither one pops out yet. (The native p. incarnata isn't awaken in most various places in the garden either), but remember your location is one zone further south.

As far as planting them on baskets and pots, I think they could be very attractive. Using crystal water polymers is great idea in hot and humid area like ours for potting plants. That's the positive aspect of using them. The negative is, they're synthetic materials and will eventually break down, thus replacing them (and the soil) is a must as time passes.

I hope that helps some?
Happy gardening.
Kim
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #4867604

Yes Kim, that does help : )

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America