Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Great Reasons to Grow Your Own Veggies: And remember..

Communities > Forums > Article: Great Reasons to Grow Your Own Veggies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Great Reasons to Grow Your Own VeggiesReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4846352

to plant a little extra and take it to a food pantry. Thanks for the article Tamara, I get a lot of food out of my 10x4 garden and a few large pots.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #4852112

You're right Cathy - that's what our local community garden does. We actually grow our organic veggies for the shelter and take a little for ourselves. It's a total win-win for everyone!
rosewood513
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4875962

I tried to suggest that at our food bank and they refused. Would you believe it?
He spouted something about if I didn't bring in enough to give some to each person it would not be fair. Then he mentioned about the spoilage etc. etc. Clearly he didn't want to go to the trouble.
So now our group has a community garden and we bring actually hundreds of pounds or produce to local churches of all denominations and a Synagogue. So we are doing our part, thanks to the many hours of volunteering from our group.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #4876658

That is wonderful rosewood, bless all of you for your efforts. My husband works at two different pantries, and it would be hard at the one where the people all come at the same time on Saturday, they compare everything they get, and get upset if someone got 2 cans when they only received one. They are refugees, and haven't adjusted to a country with plenty. At the other, where we donate what we grow, people come in all through the week, so it is luck of the draw. If there are fresh veggies, they may take them. Our church pantry is the same way, and has a large refrigerator, so they are able to put perishables in it. I think we are the only local pantry that keeps fresh milk stocked.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Great Reasons to Grow Your Own Veggies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely subject! darius 4 Apr 22, 2008 9:00 PM
Great phicks 3 May 6, 2008 10:00 PM
Don't forget the TASTE reason deb7019 0 Apr 28, 2008 1:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America