Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Newbie needs help on bird ID

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 23, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4852298

I know this would be easier if I could obtain a photo - but so far, I have not been able to get one. I have a small crested bird living in one of my bluebird houses - it is a bird I have never seen before. I first spotted the bird high in a tree, and got excited because I thought it was a Blue Jay. I had not seen a bluejay in my area in years and was going to "show" it to my kids... but as I got closer, I realized it was not a bluejay. It is a sort of blue gray color with a white or cream underbelly...and a small crest. Growing up the only 2 birds that I ever saw with crests were either Cardinals or Blue Jays...

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I MIGHT have visiting???

I am TRYING to catch him or her for a pic - but no luck yet...

Genna

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4852472

That'll be Tufted Titmouse. They nest in boxes like that.

Resin
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 23, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #4852509

Do you happen to have a photo of one? I think I can identify it if I saw a pic... or is there a place on here I can search for photos of a particular bird?
Thanks

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4852553

Here you are! http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Tufted%20Titmouse

Resin

Edit: getting the link to work properly!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 5:15 PM
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2008
6:51 AM

Post #4855862

Crested birds are my fave!!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4857512

This one doesn't have it's crest up but could this maybe it?

Titmouse

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 24, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #4858502

I believe after looking at all the pics on the link above from Resin that it is the Tufted Titmouse that is making its home in my blue bird box... and that is fine, because we have several boxes up. I just had never seen one of these birds before - and I have lived within 20 miles of here all my life (44 years) and grew up out in the country - so either we didn't have them or they were pretty scarce at the time. Apparently they are fairly shy, but she built in the house nearest our drive, and entrance to the house so she gets "spooked" quite often.

Not sure if this is the only pair or not, but I haven't spotted any more...

Thanks for all the help!
Genna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America