Photo by Melody

Article: Fill Your Yard with Special Memories: Plant Commemorative Trees on Arbor Day: My best birthday present

Communities > Forums > Article: Fill Your Yard with Special Memories: Plant Commemorative Trees on Arbor Day
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fill Your Yard with Special Memories: Plant Commemorative Trees on Arbor DayReplies: 7, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #4861717

A few years ago for an "important" birthday, I asked for a fernleaf Full Moon Japanese maple. Best birthday gift I ever had. The tree greets me with beauty every day. (No, I don't live Down Under; the date function of my digital camera was way off!)
Great article!

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4862049

That's a spectacular tree! The texture of those leaves is just amazing... I've got a butterfly J. maple that I just love, although I confess we didn't choose it to "commemorate" anything (unusual, in our yard) but simply to be the centerpiece of a small side garden. It makes a much better focal point than the air conditioner!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #4862170

LOL, Jill, and what a beautiful maple! My husband thinks gifts have to be 'surprises', so they always are, and I smile graciously and kvetch on here! He would never buy me a tree, but then again, we would have to have something ripped out in order to plant it. x, Carrie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4862252

Surprises are good, but they can be hard to place appropriately in a garden plan... I think my DH would be more likely to "surprise" me with a nursery expedition or a gift certificate to Bluestone or Brushwood than with a specific plant, but you never know... :-)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #4865732

Thanks , Jill for some new ideas. Although I can't plant the ones you mentioned, I am becoming very aware of how many trees need to be planted here. There are a lot of what most people consider shrubs that turn into beautiful trees here . One example is Duranta or Esperanza (can't remember the botanical name). Your article has inspired me to get to work next February.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #4866388

Cool! One shrub/tree I knew nothing about until I was making plans to do some planting while visiting a friend in TX last spring is Vitex, aka "Texas lilac." It bloomed on and off for her all summer, attracting butterflies and even a hummer or two right up to her window -- she was delighted with it. It has a nice scent to the foliage, too, as I recall. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1188/

I like scent in the garden... when I went back to the nursery to arrange the delivery of our new weeping cherry, I spotted a nice witch hazel and added it to the order. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4866403

Here's the PF link for Witch Hazel: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/806/

There's a note that it'll grow well down into zone 9 Florida, so it might be another candidate for you to consider. The nursery guy told me the blooms really do smell sweet in winter, and it's not a fragrance you have to shove your nose in to notice... it'll waft right across the yard. I hope it's as pleasant as advertised, LOL!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4872761

I love Vitex! I think I love purple with wanting duranta, orchid tree,etc.!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fill Your Yard with Special Memories: Plant Commemorative Trees on Arbor Day Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I've done this too Dutchlady1 4 Apr 25, 2008 11:25 PM
Good cheap trees cathy4 1 Apr 25, 2008 2:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America