Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett: your story is such a delightful treat!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt BettReplies: 3, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
florida_newbie
Harold, FL

April 25, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4863872

I grew up on the prairie of central Arkansas and I've always known and loved this plant as snakewort. Supposedly the slimy stuff was snakespit.
I'm told that I started gardening at age 3 when I transplanting this and wood violets so my "Mom would have pretty flowers"... Imagine my surprise to find it growing lavishly when I came to Florida...and that I could buy it and in different colors now...the blue will always be the BEST...thanks for a great story...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4863877

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it, also glad you still love the the blue!
izzyjane
Carol Stream, IL

June 9, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5076502

Hello sharon, I'm new to Daves Garden, and this is the first article I've read here. Iv'e now since read a few more of your articles. I have to say you are a wonderful story teller and writer. I love reading about you and your Aunt Bett. I also have spiderwort in my garden. The first kind I bought at a nursery, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first, but when I saw it I thought it was pretty, so I bought it. A year or so later my husband and I went on a walk or I should say a snake hunt, with some of his friends. He and some friends wanted to look under some loose railroad ties for snakes. I went along for the walk and excitement. Along the way I spotted a beautiful purple flower.Upon closer inspection I realized it was wild spiderwort. It looked liked the one I bought, but was much prettier. the purple was a much lighter purple, and the green leaves were much lighter green. I fell in love, but walked sadly by, as I didn't have a shovel. As we went along I spotted more and more of them. finally I looked around for a sharp edged rock and may my way through the dirt and around the roots and took two clumps home. My husband and his friends thought I was crazy but I didn't care. I went right home and planted them immmediately in my garden. They are still there today doing well,and growing larger, their blooms will be coming out in a matter of days now, I'm so excited!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5076556

I am so glad you enjoyed it, and welcome to the world of Dave's Garden.

I know you will enjoy the Garden, so much to be found here.
Thank you so much for your comments.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved it! Another great adventure! Horseshoe 40 Feb 22, 2012 2:18 PM
Darling Aunt Bett Bettypauze 14 Apr 16, 2008 1:47 AM
etymology of "spiderwort." Dollykat 1 Apr 14, 2008 9:44 PM
blue dye rubyw 0 Apr 15, 2008 7:50 AM
Capturing the color of Spiderwort LaFleurBonne 1 May 15, 2010 5:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America