Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett: your story is such a delightful treat!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt BettReplies: 3, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
florida_newbie
Harold, FL

April 25, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4863872

I grew up on the prairie of central Arkansas and I've always known and loved this plant as snakewort. Supposedly the slimy stuff was snakespit.
I'm told that I started gardening at age 3 when I transplanting this and wood violets so my "Mom would have pretty flowers"... Imagine my surprise to find it growing lavishly when I came to Florida...and that I could buy it and in different colors now...the blue will always be the BEST...thanks for a great story...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4863877

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it, also glad you still love the the blue!
izzyjane
Carol Stream, IL

June 9, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5076502

Hello sharon, I'm new to Daves Garden, and this is the first article I've read here. Iv'e now since read a few more of your articles. I have to say you are a wonderful story teller and writer. I love reading about you and your Aunt Bett. I also have spiderwort in my garden. The first kind I bought at a nursery, I wasn't quite sure what it was at first, but when I saw it I thought it was pretty, so I bought it. A year or so later my husband and I went on a walk or I should say a snake hunt, with some of his friends. He and some friends wanted to look under some loose railroad ties for snakes. I went along for the walk and excitement. Along the way I spotted a beautiful purple flower.Upon closer inspection I realized it was wild spiderwort. It looked liked the one I bought, but was much prettier. the purple was a much lighter purple, and the green leaves were much lighter green. I fell in love, but walked sadly by, as I didn't have a shovel. As we went along I spotted more and more of them. finally I looked around for a sharp edged rock and may my way through the dirt and around the roots and took two clumps home. My husband and his friends thought I was crazy but I didn't care. I went right home and planted them immmediately in my garden. They are still there today doing well,and growing larger, their blooms will be coming out in a matter of days now, I'm so excited!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5076556

I am so glad you enjoyed it, and welcome to the world of Dave's Garden.

I know you will enjoy the Garden, so much to be found here.
Thank you so much for your comments.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved it! Another great adventure! Horseshoe 40 Feb 22, 2012 2:18 PM
Darling Aunt Bett Bettypauze 14 Apr 16, 2008 1:47 AM
etymology of "spiderwort." Dollykat 1 Apr 14, 2008 9:44 PM
blue dye rubyw 0 Apr 15, 2008 7:50 AM
Capturing the color of Spiderwort LaFleurBonne 1 May 15, 2010 5:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America