Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Telegraph table?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 4, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4869720

This is a little table we have that was supposed to have been made by the man who operated the telegraph communications in Roswell, NM yrs ago. On left is where the "tapper"????? was? I just like it as a cute little coffee table that has a "history." Anyone seen anything like this?

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #4870651

I saw some pictures of old telegraphs and what they sat on, on an auction site about a month ago. Since I am pulling off memory, what I saw them sitting on was much higher. There was more than one on the bench also. So, no I have not seen one like that. By the picture you can see where it was mounted and no lip on the back of the table. Reguardless it has some age on it.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4871148

Thanks for input. I thought the man just took part of the "countertop" and made it into the top of the little table. Base was added and looks like picnic table legs...crossed. It's only a couple of feet high also. Are you saying the lip may be original to the table? I just figured he added that also.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4875871

The edge back by the couch is not there so the arm can lay on the flat surface. Does it look like there was a lip on that edge at one time? Or was it made that way?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #4875967

Table's at our lake place, so I'll check when we go back. I'll get a better photo too. I'm fairly sure, tho, that there's never been a lip on that side...and we wondered why. My aunt lived in Roswell, had table in her house, and mentioned one day what it actually had been. She bought it at an estate or garage sale, probably.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America