Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Herbs: Is Lemon Grass considered an herb?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 13, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4872079

I can't find any and would love to have it as part of my garden as well as use for cooking.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4872844

I grew some last year, and yes I found it in herbs at a couple of "good" garden centers. I also found some seed this year at Farm and Fleet.

It is not zone hardy here, but I plan on getting some more this year. I had hoped to overwinter a chunk, but did not get to it.

It's very big. That's it on the right (Full grown, in September).

This message was edited Apr 27, 2008 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4872861

I had some that didn't survive last year's mean freeze, but the friend who originally gave it to me said she started hers from some she bought at the store. I think Asian groceries sell big stalks, don't they? I heard a rumor it can be invasive (ie escape the garden scene), so I kept mine in a large pot sunk in the ground.

Nedhudson1
Thorne Bay, AK
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #4872876

Lots of people use it in cooking,mainly oriental cooking.Go to the DG plant files & type "lemon grass"into common name.There's some info there.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4872881

I read that too last year about starting from some in the produce section. But being up north, I didn't have the time so got two 6" plants. I don't know about invasiveness. It the one season it made a pretty solid clump though.

In fact, Here's the link I read last year.
http://www.yougrowgirl.com/grow/lemongrass.php
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4872890

Lemon grass in Thai soups...yum...

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4872898

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/283/

The reviews don't say much about invasiveness, but I'm thinking growing it in a pot might not be a bad idea for ME anyway… I can take it indoors then to overwinter.

chefmike92
Clermont, FL

April 27, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4872925

I have grown lemon grass for 5 yrs now
it gets quite large here in florida
it is a clumping grass so its not hard to controll the clump just gets bigger
I rip mine out every 2 years to keep in smaller
when i change spots in yard if you leave any behind it will grow again but a quick pull and its gone
I started mine from the pieces you get in the produce section it grows fairly fast
it produces small pieces on the sides of the main piece
when i do rip it out of the ground a clump about 2 feet round could have 50 small plants in the clump
i pick pieces off for people all the time
take a cutting of mine in glass of water for 5 days and its growing

hope this helps any morequestions?

mike

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #4872974

hey nannie, sounds like maybe you can do a trade with Chef Mike for cuttings! :-D

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4873034

Thanks, ChefMike. I'm sure it's not in the store up here, but next time I'm where some is, I'll have to start another. :-)
chefmike92
Clermont, FL

April 27, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4873059

I always have lemon grass available if you want some i also notice you want Confederate Jasmine which i also have dmail me if you are interested

mike
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4873349

Well, would you believe that I was going to say that I heard you could grow it from the produce store, but I thought you all would REALLY laugh at me, so I deleted it. =) I'm told it dies out here in TN. My aunt is from Thailand and she throws it in almost everything. mmm coconut soup.

However, I live in Podunk TN...Wallyworld is our major grocery store and they don't carry it.

And..my Want list has just begun. My yard is an empty canvas. My problem is that I want it all.

(I'm writing Chef Mike before Tudors comes on! )

thanks all
~p

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #4875841

I have to overwinter it indoors here so keep it potted. I lost my first big one to cold. The second one started from seed.

I also had saved this info on starting from plants although I don't know why... local stores to have it for sale here either. Must be Podunk TX here LOL [quote] if you have an asian market or a grocery store that sells lemongrass stalks, you can have plants in no time! just peel 1 or 2 layers of leaf blades to expose the base, place in a glass or vase of water, and it will root quickly. transplant into when the roots are about 1" long. i do this every spring/summer since it doesn't overwitner outside where I live. you could also take it back inside over the winter [/quote]
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4876215

:-)
I'm in Podunk, Humboldt Co., CA...Bigfoot doesn't eat lemongrass, I guess.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America