Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Is Lemon Grass considered an herb?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 13, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4872079

I can't find any and would love to have it as part of my garden as well as use for cooking.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4872844

I grew some last year, and yes I found it in herbs at a couple of "good" garden centers. I also found some seed this year at Farm and Fleet.

It is not zone hardy here, but I plan on getting some more this year. I had hoped to overwinter a chunk, but did not get to it.

It's very big. That's it on the right (Full grown, in September).

This message was edited Apr 27, 2008 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4872861

I had some that didn't survive last year's mean freeze, but the friend who originally gave it to me said she started hers from some she bought at the store. I think Asian groceries sell big stalks, don't they? I heard a rumor it can be invasive (ie escape the garden scene), so I kept mine in a large pot sunk in the ground.

Nedhudson1
Thorne Bay, AK
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #4872876

Lots of people use it in cooking,mainly oriental cooking.Go to the DG plant files & type "lemon grass"into common name.There's some info there.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4872881

I read that too last year about starting from some in the produce section. But being up north, I didn't have the time so got two 6" plants. I don't know about invasiveness. It the one season it made a pretty solid clump though.

In fact, Here's the link I read last year.
http://www.yougrowgirl.com/grow/lemongrass.php
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4872890

Lemon grass in Thai soups...yum...

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4872898

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/283/

The reviews don't say much about invasiveness, but I'm thinking growing it in a pot might not be a bad idea for ME anyway… I can take it indoors then to overwinter.

chefmike92
Clermont, FL

April 27, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4872925

I have grown lemon grass for 5 yrs now
it gets quite large here in florida
it is a clumping grass so its not hard to controll the clump just gets bigger
I rip mine out every 2 years to keep in smaller
when i change spots in yard if you leave any behind it will grow again but a quick pull and its gone
I started mine from the pieces you get in the produce section it grows fairly fast
it produces small pieces on the sides of the main piece
when i do rip it out of the ground a clump about 2 feet round could have 50 small plants in the clump
i pick pieces off for people all the time
take a cutting of mine in glass of water for 5 days and its growing

hope this helps any morequestions?

mike

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #4872974

hey nannie, sounds like maybe you can do a trade with Chef Mike for cuttings! :-D

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4873034

Thanks, ChefMike. I'm sure it's not in the store up here, but next time I'm where some is, I'll have to start another. :-)
chefmike92
Clermont, FL

April 27, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4873059

I always have lemon grass available if you want some i also notice you want Confederate Jasmine which i also have dmail me if you are interested

mike
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4873349

Well, would you believe that I was going to say that I heard you could grow it from the produce store, but I thought you all would REALLY laugh at me, so I deleted it. =) I'm told it dies out here in TN. My aunt is from Thailand and she throws it in almost everything. mmm coconut soup.

However, I live in Podunk TN...Wallyworld is our major grocery store and they don't carry it.

And..my Want list has just begun. My yard is an empty canvas. My problem is that I want it all.

(I'm writing Chef Mike before Tudors comes on! )

thanks all
~p

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #4875841

I have to overwinter it indoors here so keep it potted. I lost my first big one to cold. The second one started from seed.

I also had saved this info on starting from plants although I don't know why... local stores to have it for sale here either. Must be Podunk TX here LOL [quote] if you have an asian market or a grocery store that sells lemongrass stalks, you can have plants in no time! just peel 1 or 2 layers of leaf blades to expose the base, place in a glass or vase of water, and it will root quickly. transplant into when the roots are about 1" long. i do this every spring/summer since it doesn't overwitner outside where I live. you could also take it back inside over the winter [/quote]
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4876215

:-)
I'm in Podunk, Humboldt Co., CA...Bigfoot doesn't eat lemongrass, I guess.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America