Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Shady Gardens: "Just Plantin' in the Rain"

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 24, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4872859

My apologies to the lyricist! We received some wonderful rain today. After the boomin part was over, I went back out into the front yard to plant in the rain! With the mature oaks and dogwoods, very little rain was actually falling on me and the cooler temps were quite pleasant. I got in 5 heucheras, all Key Lime Pie, 3 Shaggy Shield ferns, 3 Bright Lights hostas, 1 Guacamole, and 1 Blue Angel. Since I still have 4 orders yet to come in, I figured I'd better get out and get busy while I could! Sigh... I didn't get everything I've bought in the ground yet, but I made a dent in the stash. If I could only keep myself from buying any more!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4873272

Sounds like quite a productive day in spite of the rain! How nice that you have mature oaks and dogwoods in your yard. It must be beautiful. Hope that the rest of your orders come in good shape. I've cut back a lot this year and only have three hostas coming - if you can believe that! Well, I did plant a papryus last week.

You have photos of your handiwork?
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4873380

This is a photo from earlier this month where I added the Guacamole and the Key Lime Pie heuchs today. What's green in this shot is evergreen for me.

Thumbnail by lussah
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4873413

This shows the bed with the 1 of the 2 oaks in which I've been adding ferns, hosta, and heuchera this spring. I took it from my front porch. The area that is mulched between the walks is scheduled to have St. Augustine sod laid when my local sod farm starts cutting it.

Thumbnail by lussah

lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4873476

More of the same bed with both oaks. I've added many plants in the middle of this area. Haven't taken photos since the trees leafed out and I've added the plants! I've been busy planting, buying, or ordering!

Thumbnail by lussah

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4874100

It's really lovely. Do you use your front porch? It will be great when the sod gets put in. Can't wait to see the photos of what you've done.
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4878204

Thanks for the kind words, Doss. I do use my front porch. I love sitting out there and watching all the birds eat, drink, bathe, etc. It faces north so it never gets sunny. When I bought my house, five years ago, the front was much different. There was a separate raised bed bordered by cinder blocks around each of the oaks with a paver path from the street to the house. There was also a lot more grass. I disassembled the raised beds and merged them into the one large bed, then added the block wall around part of it. I then made the walks with the concrete mold. One the other side of the second oak, I mulched over the grass for a couple of years and then added more azaleas. My front lawn now consists of a narrow strip by the street and basically a pathway from one side of the house to the other. My lot slopes and over the years had lost almost all of the topsoil, so I've spent time and money correcting that, too. The back is not quite as shady as the front. And I've left a little more lawn in back. The dogs appreciate that!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #4878359

What a lot of work you've done and it sure shows a lot of love involved. Making those paths is a lot of work. Very nice design. And I'm so glad that you get to enjoy the porch and that it faces north. I notice that I use my north patio in the summer and the north patio in the summer so it must be lovely there. But it looks as if you have a lot of shade anyway. How lovely it must be out there.
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4878452

Thanks! It's therapy for me as it is for most of us. And it gives this old woman something to do besides work! I have a deck out back. Even though it faces south, it's so heavily shaded I can use it all year, too, except for those days when it's so hot and humid ya can't even breathe outside. I'll post more pics fo the new stuff when I remember to charge the camera battery!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4878583

Very pretty lussah!!! Great design will keep watching also. One of my favorite things to do...:) Keep up the great work. You are right it is very theraputic being out in the gardens!!! Even though we might be sore the morning after... But its not a hangover!!! Just a gardeners hangover!!! LOL. Lovely! Do you have a large property??? I do not but am packing in all that I can! Im addicted to the greenhouses. Ronna
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4878607

Thanks, Gardenlady! My property is rather small, less than one-third of an acre. It's just the right size for a soon-to-be-retiree! Plenty of space for me to piddle around in and room for the pups to have a good romp. Don't have a gh, I wouldn't be successful with it if I had one. So I just do my part to keep several nurseries afloat! I have finally gotten to the point where I'm able to divide some of my pretties and share with some friends.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4878960

Can you send some of that rain to us here in so Cal? Please? lol!

Nice job you've done there Lussah! Isn't gardening THE BEST therapy of all? I seriously want to write someday about how gardening changed me for the better...I think- no, I'm sure- that non-gardeners don't really understand how planning and building a garden can change someone's life! : )
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4879267

Rob,
Sorry, but rain's about the only thing I'm not willing to share! LOL We're still in a drought situation, although the longterm forecast isn't as bleak as it was last year. I'm thrilled everytime I can dump any measurable amount of rainfall out of the gauge.
I love being able to get out and do what I want the way I want, well, within financial constraints and aging body parts. Non-gardening folks can't understand the thrill of seeing a plant just starting to poke its little self out of the ground. Or having something that's gotten large enough to divide. Or finally finding just the right spot for a particular plant. I'm still working real hard on that. I move plants so often they all cringe when I have a shovel or trowel in hand! Don't know how well I've done with the planning part of gardening. A designer would have nightmares for months after a visit to my little slice of Paradise! But it's mine and I wouldn't trade it for anything anywhere in the world. (Well, maybe the North Pole during July and August.)
Melissa
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #4879835

I think it's looking great Melissa, and I'm glad you are enjoying some much needed rain. I'm a pretty new gardener myself, and I'm so obsessed with it now that it would be heartbreaking to go thru a drought and watch your plants suffer and/or die.

A garden designer would probably have nightmares visting mine too, because I'm always moving stuff around to come up with a better plan, too. I think that adds to the enjoyment...it's like a challenge, coming up with a better combination somewhere. I've been poring over my pics from last season, trying to decide what needs to move where...and I can't wait to get out there and do it!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4881030

I agree Ive moved plants several times myself. If its not doing great in the front move to side, not there! then the back. I can not afford to throw a dead plant away!!! I love them to much. Happy therapy everyone... Good luck lussah!!! Will keep a watch! Like you said its your little slice of paradise enjoy it!!! Ronna
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #4882210

Guys, that is all so true! Our backs hurt and our wallets are empty...but what a joy! lol! I keep moving plants too. In general, because they hate the spot I put them into! Actually last night (yes, during the week, I have to garden after work, in the dark! talk about an absession), anyway, last night I had to dig out a Hydrangea for the second time...I thought she could handle part sun but apparently not!
It's all about trial and error! : )
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #4883204

I had that happen with an hydrangea last year too. Turns out that it really resented sun more than I thought that it would.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4883818

Yep! The nursery said the species I selected could tolerate sun...guess they didn't mean "california sun"!!! It's amazing how they are sensitive to heat, I have an Azalea on the same spot and it does just fine...
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #4884008

Yep, that's a big reason I move things so much, just trying to get the amount of sun like the plants want. Then last summer my neighbors had several large trees cut down which again changed the sun patterns in the back. So I may find I need to move more things this year. (Not to mention all the orders I haven't gotten yet.) Last year, I planted nothing, mainly due my trip to China in the middle of the summer. I didn't want my housesitter to have too much to worry about, especially considering that she is a total non-gardener. Add in the drought and the horribly high temps we had, I picked a pretty good year to lie low. However, I have more than made up for it this year!! And loved every second of it. If I don't quit looking at the Plant Delights catalog, I'll need to take out a second mortgage! LOL
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4884034

That's a great idea...I need to take out a second mortgage too to pay for my garden!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #4884207

Lussah: I'm a Plant Delights addict myself! I love the work you've done with your garden. I have a similar situation to yours. Lots' of shade, sloping lot, missing topsoil and I, too have spent the last 3 seasons since we moved in, trying to correct the deficits and make the most of the assets. I've shoveled alot of topsoil! LOL.

I'm looking forward to see how your garden grows.
Deb
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4884229

Thanks, Deb!
I just read your post on another thread about the weather forecast. Wow, the weather sure can be strange! There is a chance of frost in your neck of the woods, but not in mine. Hope it doesn't hit any of us.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4884260

OK, that's just weird. It's like this big finger of frost just snuck into the inner coast from Ga. I hope they're wrong (for me, I mean. I hope they're right for you.) :)
Deb
lussah
Orangeburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4884271

Yeah! I looked on the advisory map from accuweather and saw the same thing. Too weird.
Melissa
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4918074

Just wanted you all to know, I am learning about moving plants,amazing what you learn on here.LOL
I guess my Grandmama knew where to put them the first time,she never moved plants,I on the other hand,have realized it doesn't hurt them to move them if they aren't happy.I bought my old house a few years ago, and am trying to bring it back to it's past glory(1925) ,had sat neglected for so many years,finally got the important inside stuff done,wiring,plumbing,etc,now I can work in the yard,woohoo!And thanks to all the great gardeners on DG,I am learning so much. Becki

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America