-
AuthorContent
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4872995

Can't cut these parrot tulips as I like them too much in the garden so here is just to share what is not cut.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 27, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4873169

Great idea Candee!
The tulip looks really good captured in the frame. I'm inspired to try something like this, Thankyou.
I'm sure we are all going to feel the same about some of our flowers in the garden. Most of the time there isn't enough in bloom at the same time for arrangements! Then we can't bring ourselves to cut them. LoL!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4873212

It is hard to decide whether to cut or not when there are few of one species. I have a wealth of different varieties, but no masses so am a bit selective when it comes to cutting LOL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 7, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4919763

I have some miniature roses in pots, here they are framed with forget me nots!

Thumbnail by terriculture

Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4984099

Haighr, You take such pretty photos! Think I could learn to use a digital camera? I'm serious, what is a cheap[ha] simple one to get?
Doe
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #4987168

thank you Doe.
Of course you can, I just point and shoot nothing fancy, the camera I have is way too advanced for my skill level, but does a great job - it is an Olympus and I have had several.
I would suggest you post a question on the camera thread and you will get lots of ideas if you give your price range and note this is a new venue for you and you want to start simple.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5142891

A vase placed amongst the flowers, framed, not cut!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5142906

Framed, not cut.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5145930

Oh, I like that - again that is so you-nique! Are they petals glued to something? That first photo really looks like the flowers are coming out of the vase perfectly arranged of course.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5149287

This is not the tallest lily, but getting close to the tallest. Can't ever bring myself to snip these and hard to decide what to do with them other than just photograph.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5149518

One more as I think this one is quite pretty myself!

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 24, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5152719

Thanks Candee, I was giving a makeover to a clear vase, the dried petals are stuck on the outside with double sided tape.

Your photography is WOW! I love the pictures and the way you framed them, is just fabulous.

I wonder if Adele has seen these? with her new camera and creative ideas...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5153077

Clever tape idea. thanks for your compliments - I love playing around with the photos, just never seem to have enough time.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5617443

Thanks for pointing me over here Candee, so for I have that rose pic I posted on the other thread framed on the dresser. Thats all I've done so far with my own art around the house. Would love to see your pictures!

Steven
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5618698

Candee, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Framing those innocent flowers ... LOL but at least by not cutting them they got "life" instead of the death sentence.

Love your photoshop work!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5619484

LOL you guys, here is my recent passiflora using masks and believe me this is a real trial and tribulation!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5619504

Zany you are too funny and Steven please bring your poseys over here and we shall continue. Not much to do with the flowers in the winter other than over winter here if you know what I mean?

Will be happy to take some photos of the photos I have around the house soon as I get a chance, keep this thread going to remind me as I already forgot and left my good camera at the cabin and had to use the old one to produce the above.

We are gonna have such fun you guys this winter, and Zany know you don't have winter but please stay with us, we need all the help we can get LOL ^_^
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5619581

OOOOH! The Pasiflora is devine...but the mask makes me suspect that the Devine may be guilty of the crimes the others were framed for...

Candee, we have winter...it just isn't as severe as yours ;~)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 1, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5619658

Beautiful details and colours Candee. Well done!! and Thanks for sharing.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5619709

Nothing devine about this Zany, just fooling round with the masks and tryin to figure them out and it is rocket science no matter what anybody says. Ther is so much to learn and so little time. So what is your winter like there Zany, spent one winter out in CA and was mild compared to ours but it is a big area are you in the mts? or lucky you by the beach? So where the heck are you friend?

Thanks Terri, always love to have your comments and know you got my back door on design. Just beginning to bloom in my ideas!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5619783

I am in the coastal mountains of the far northern part of the state. We get wet winters with the occassional heavy frost and every few years we get snow that doesn't usually last more than a few hours before it melts. But the mountains around us stay snowy for longer and look lovely without having to shovel the stuff.

Well, I still think the Passi looks devine! Playing with photo's is a lot of fun and I usually spend a lot of time at it in the winter months.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5620685

I see, so do you have to bring much indoors this time of year Zany? I will spend a fair amount of evenings on the puter playing with photos this winter as well. We close the cabin after hunting season for a few months and spend each weekend at home for some R&R.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5621462

Nice Passie Candee! I left my passies outside this year, I started them last spring(feb 07) and haven't had as much as 1 flower, not even a dropped flower bud :( so they get to get frosted this year.

here I have a Clarkia before and after...

...before...

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5621465

and here is after...it's now made of solid gold.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5621700

Steven, that Clarkia is lovely. I don't think I had ever heard of it before. Now I'm going to have to check it out!

Most things do well here just being cut back in the fall. Anything that doesn't is usually treated by me as an annual. I am a lazy gardener and don't have the energy to take things in and out seasonally. My biggest challange in the winter is having time to mow the grass when it dries out between storms. That usually happens when I am at work and it starts raining again just before I can get out there.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5622106

Well that makes 2 of us cause I never heard of clarkia either, it is beautiful in both photos. How did you do the gold, did you use a layer or mask or what? You may want to come join in our Photo editing thread in photos Steven, we have learned and taught each other a lot.
We are on thread 14 and there is a wealth of information on the previous 13.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/908336/

Zany, I know what you mean, I mow at home on Thursdays and then mow at the cabin on Fridays. Last weekend was the first I could mow at the cabin for 3 weeks and it was a nightmare.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5622611

Thanks Zany and Candee, I used to not mind bringing plants in and out every year...but this year I scaled back a bit. I'm sick of dealing with white flies and spidermites ect. They're such a pain and make we want to toss everything out into the snow...which I have done before.

Clarkia is a super easy cool weather annual. Just sow it spring or maybe fall for Zany(?). I've winter sowed it a couple times with good success, it's easy to grow like annual poppies.

As for how I made the picture...uhh...it was a while ago...but what I remember is I started with 2 layers. One layer for Background and another for the Flower. On the Flower layer, I erase the background so I'm left with just the flower. Then I used a chrome effect on the Flower. Then I made a third layer to tint the chrome gold. It was something like that anyways and I used a variety of effects on the Background layer too. Hope I didn't confuse anyone too much... :)

I'll pop over later and check out the photo editing thread :)
Steven
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5622808

Steven, that is a technique I have played with a lot. Isn't it fun!

Candee, do you create your own masks or are they included in your software program?
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5622928

It is pretty fun, it's the only type of mask I use really...I never got a hang of the ones that were included...
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5623525

Well, I got curious about masks and did some research. It appears that I have been playing with them for years now and just didn't know they had a name.

LOL sometimes the terminology is trickier than the process!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5624591

I made my own in the one above least the passi on top is a mask I made the frame was a stock mask. I don't have much trouble with spidermites Steven, had them on my jasmine one year and after a few trials of spraying with alcohol, I finally got a systemic treatment and haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the info on the photo, I get the idea.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 2, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5625850

Love clarkia! Forgot to sow it this year!!!

Like how you changed it to solid gold Steven.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5627215

Thanks Terri!

Candee, what systemic treatment did you use? Sometimes I just put the plants in the shower and wash the mite off, they seem to dislike humidity...but lugging your wet plants in and out of the shower is a bit of a pain.

Zany, I agree! I love googling for tutorials.

Steven
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5636830

Steven it is something called Bonide, prevents from aphids, scale, spider mites and other listed insects.
Systemic houseplant insect control contains 1% di-syston
Got it from my local nursery has a purple lid and is a crystal substance that you put on the soil.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5637199

Hmm, thanks. I'm going to check it out and see if it's in Canada.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5640843

let me know Steven if not available perhaps I can get you a container and send it to you, no bigger than a pill bottle, let me know!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5644465

Steven here is a bit of framed flowers in our breezeway.
This is quince and spirea framed.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5644472

Here is a tulip arrangement that I cropped and framed.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5644474

And here is a wall with several, tulips, cleome, rose all framed not cut.

Thumbnail by haighr

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5644536

What a great way to make those flowers last longer. Leave them in the garden and feature them inside too! It looks great and now your flowers will be there to cheer you up through the winter.

Hey! PS the frames to black for the cafe!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5645036

LOL, great minds! I had been working on that and prior to seeing your post I just put one over there for review. Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America