Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Bee Keeping & Bee Allergy Question

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 8, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4874882

Sounds silly I know, But.. my dh is deathly allergic to bees. His last sting was VERY serious.
So why would I even begin to consider bee keeping?
First off remember.. I KNOW NOTHING!! I have not done any homework yet.. kind of dumb to take any step further until I figure if its the craziest idea I've ever had.

Anyway, I am wondering, If I was to have a small "hive" or two, way out in the field, I could grow a nice sweet flower garden and clover section for them.. maybe a small low water, yet not quite dry bed rock creek.. so they have water.. and they could live there.. and wouldn't they sort of protect their territory from other bee animals? There-by protecting us/him from outside bees? Or are bee's a live and let live type of commune animal?

jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 28, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #4876394

I wouldn't recomend it with his allergy. Bees travel long distances to find pollen and nectar and it would difinately increase the number of bees all over your yard. Hives also take a lot of maitenence where you have to work directly with the bees. They also do not decrease the incidence of other bees like wasps and yellow jackets. Google beekeeping and it will give you a little idea of what is involved other than a fairly large investment of cash.

I love my bees, but they are work!
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4900786

Is he sure it is honey bees and not wasps he's allergic to? It's extremely rare to be allergic to honey bees.

If he is and you want to be a beekeeper, you should look into finding a property you can rent or own that is completely separate from your house as bees, while tame, can become agitated and will sometimes get territorial and sting if they see your presence as a threat.
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4902065

jj, no I am not sure it is honey bees, the last time he was stung, it was by one of those little tiny mud bees, stung him on the calf and took him down in less than the time for him to say.. ahh, I'll be alright, it's a long way from my heart... then we heard thud!

The time before that, we really didn't see what got him.. but there were sweat bees around alond with the regular garden bees of the day.. we were gardening..

His allergies have progressivly gotten worse..

While I know my question sounded like I have him heavely insured.. I don't.. I really was interested in bees and thought maybe if I had hives at the edge of the field, two acres away from where he hangs out on a regular basis, it would keep OUR bees in their own space, and in turn, they would keep stry bees out of our collective space.
I would never want to put him or the bees in any danger.. It was just the first and most important question before I continued on my research.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #4908729

I like the insurance idea. I personally think the biggeat risk is increasing the number of the bees in your yard. We have a lot of clover and dandelions around the house (Ha! and I think I'm a gardener!) and since putting the bees out there has be a tremendous increase in the honeybees on the ground. I know, I steped on two barefoot last summer. They definately won't do anything to decrease the other bees.

My bees are pretty good natured (italian russian cross), but sometimes I think they have PMS. I just never know what is going to piss them off on thoes days and they will chase me all the way to the gate. Mostly they just "ping" off the back of my head without stinging, but I don't push them without the bee suit.

I have a friend who keeps bees and is highly alergic. He wears an eppi pen around his neck, but I still think he's nuts.

If you are looking to increase pollinators, there are other bees you can encourage that are not as likely to sting, like the carpenter bee.
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4910437

nahh.. I was thinking of the honey :-)

then the dh became the problem.. lol and I was looking for an answer..

And after last summer, he is suppose to have his epi pen aimed and ready.. and the other day when he had a reaction to dental work.. he couldn't find it.. 3 kids were not this much work.. did I mention he IS insured!
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #4911557

I hate to admit that I only got about three pints of honey last year. We only took half from the two hives and lost one hive over the winter. The little bear at the store is SOOOOO much easier and you don't have to scrape the wax off your teeth.

I keep my husband well insured too. Men are a danger to themselves.
hellenmayer
Encino
United States

January 13, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9384139

Oh, we have the same encounter, in fact I have been bitten by bees and some bites turn to acne after few days, that perhaps because I am scratching the stingy bites.

Regards,
Hellen, of http://www.acneproductsreview.org
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9389769

I would not recommend getting honeybees when some one is allergic to stings.
I gave up beekeeping for several reasons, and my increasing reaction to the stings was one of them. I do not care if medically it was a true allergy or just some other sort of reaction, I knew to stop.

While I did get stung taking care of the bees, I also got stung doing simple things like watering the garden or mowing the lawn. Increasing the population of bees (any species) in your area will increase the likelihood of getting stung.

We also carried Epi pens, and had occasion to use them (not me, but my father in law needed one before we rushed him to the ER).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America