Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Pot Ideas for Succulent plants: Additional drilling info

Communities > Forums > Article: Pot Ideas for Succulent plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pot Ideas for Succulent plantsReplies: 0, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Four_feet
La Puente, CA

April 28, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4876666

I'm a big fan of Palmbobs' articles! And I'd like to contribute in some small measure for all the wonderful info he generously shares. Being a sculptor I routinely drill hard materials. Here's what works well for me.

Put the pot right side up on a scrap of plywood so that it's base is in contact with it and supported. Next build a small well or ring of clay (water clay or plasticine will both work well) and stick it to the bottom of the pot. Usually 1 inch high or less is all you need. Squirt a little water in to fill the well and begin drilling. Every few seconds lift the drill bit to allow the water to flow back into the hole. This will keep the drill site and bit cooler. Heat generated while drilling is the main reason pots crack and bits dull prematurely. It will also keep down dust (you don't want to breath silica dust). Squirt more water in as needed.

As well as a carbide tip bit which is great for softer materials such as terra cotta pots, a core drill can be used on the harder materials. I use it on granite and stoneware pots and it is quite a bit faster. This is a tube (available in various diameters) with diamond grit on it's rim. Again, a well of water facilitates cutting.

Happy Gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pot Ideas for Succulent plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Awesome inspiration UniQueTreasures 0 Apr 27, 2008 10:46 AM
I love this article Dutchlady1 5 Apr 29, 2008 2:59 AM
Drilling holes in pots swlms1955 1 Apr 27, 2008 11:15 PM
YOU OPENED MY MIND! docgipe 3 Apr 28, 2008 10:22 PM
pot ideas for succulent plants tabby7 0 Apr 28, 2008 10:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America