Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bed Bugs, Plantago and Aunt Bett: Yarrow and plantain salve

Communities > Forums > Article: Bed Bugs, Plantago and Aunt Bett
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bed Bugs, Plantago and Aunt BettReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kaziah
Tulsa, OK

April 28, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #4877583

I love your stories about Aunt Bett. My mother was like that. When we went walking she would explain all of the wild herbs to me, and give instructions on their use. I never paid much attention to what she said because, of course, at 12 years old, I knew more than she did and besides, someone in their 30s that came from the hills in Arkansas, could not know as much as I did. Mom is gone now and I am 65. I sure wish I had listened and took notes. I love using herbs medicinaly now but have had to learn everything over. I can at least relive some of those moments with mom, through your postings. Thank you a bunch for giving us the gift of your stories.

I make a salve using oil of yarrow and plantain (soak the herbs in olive oil for 6 weeks then strain) mixed with bee's wax. It is used for minor scratches and bug bites. Enjoy!

Keep up the stories. You never know who you might influence.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4877735

How very nice of you, Kaziah, we are the same age with similar memories. I would have forgotten too, but had lots of papers that were my mothers. As I read them I remember more and more.

We mixed herbs in that way also, and plantain with comfrey also makes a good one. My yarrow I notice is not doing very well this spring, I might not be able to save it, so that will be a good excuse to take a look at all the other herbs in my favorite nursery. I enjoy finding something that I remember from those years.

Thank you again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bed Bugs, Plantago and Aunt Bett Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bedbugs! nanny_56 8 Apr 9, 2010 10:18 AM
Smiling Eyes Seedtosser1 5 Apr 24, 2008 3:15 PM
OMG Shar.... Bettypauze 0 Apr 23, 2008 3:57 PM
Done it again... Sundownr 1 Apr 24, 2008 3:25 PM
Smiles herbalbetty 1 Apr 28, 2008 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America