Oh, no, frost!!!

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm not happy about our weather today, it's supposed to frost in my area tonight :(

I am sure my perennials will be okay, but I am still going to cover some things so the new growth doesn't get 'crispy'.

What do you cover with? I think I have some painter's drop cloths in the garage, but might just use trash bags...

/pouting in IL

Nicole

Hiawatha, KS(Zone 5b)

We are expecting frost here too. Low around 30. How cold does it have to get before the fruit is destoued? My fruit trees are all in bloom.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2008 3:12 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Last year I covered & I believe it did more damage than good. This year I'm going to take my chances. I didn't put any tender plants out yet.

Will be anxious to hear tomorrow how your plants fair. I believe being in the bottoms, we're more susceptible.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Lavendar, don't use trash bags to cover. Plastic can make things worse.

The only thing I covered was a pot I just planted today with annuals. If it wasn't so fresh I wouldn't have covered.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I buy about 100 bales of straw each year & stockpile my leaves. That's all I cover with, because I don't have to take it off.

39 & holding here on the Kankakee River ...

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

It didn't get quite as cold and frosty here as they predicted, so that's good! I only covered a couple of little new plants with clay pots at sunset, but took my chances with the rest. Everything looked okay this morning, so I guess it's better to overreact in this case! :)

I hope everyone else's plants are okay, too!

Nicole

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I have a few nipped leaves on the hostas. I closed up the lids on my winter sowing sprouts, but everything else seems okay. I did bring in a big fern, but it is going back out tomorrow. I normally don't put out tenders until May 1, jumped the gun a little this year with my veggie garden. Close call!

All my stuff look good. Even my callas are fine.

Hiawatha, KS(Zone 5b)

It didn't get so cold here either, about 37 degrees. The fruit trees still look great.

My apple tree still has blooms on it. Looks like it was never touched. Not that it matters. The fruit is so sour/tart it's not funny. It's 10 times worse than granny smiths.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

well, if it's any consolation, pepper, those appleblossoms are a godsend to honeybees (i have some) ... this early in the season they're starving.

sour apples still make sweet honey ....

(hey! that's a smart-sounding saying, isn't?! very pleased with myself.)

LOL. I don't mind the bees having at the tree as long as they leave me alone.

Yep, very smart sounding!! :~)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

my begoinas and coleus didn't fair too well. I had a garbage bog over them and taped up. Luckly I have extras.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

The frost never got to us. The lake is near 60 degrees and I think it heated up the region around the lake.

I use those cheap foam ice boxes that wallmart sells as plant covers. When we bought them it was interesting to see us explaining why we did not want the lids. We have about 50 of those, plus went to wallmart a couple weeks ago and they had the regular plant covers on sale for 50-75 cents. I about fell over. These are those big high covers like you see them cover roses with. We bought out everything they had. About 25 more covers. Regular price on those things was close to $4 each.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images