Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!: Beach Plums on Delmarva

Communities > Forums > Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!Replies: 4, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
614longfellow
Mount Airy, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4878574

My father's family grew up on the Eastern Shore in lower Delaware and I now have a cottage in nearby Maryland. Each year we anxiously awaited the ripening of the wild beach plums that grew all along the shore - and the jelly that my aunts always made after picking them. Now, of course, overdevelopment has caused them to disappear in many of their original areas, but luckily I still have several large bushes of them right beside my cottage. They are a pleasure to look at all year, have beautiful blooms, and oh, those delicious berries!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4878588

longfellow... I lived in Annapolis and went over to the Delmarva peninsula, esp. Rehoboth, a lot but I don't remember seeing beach plums. Good for you to have some at your cottage!
beebe
Ambler, PA

April 28, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4879051

I have 34' on the beach in Sea Isle , and have been trying to find a source for beach plums. I would love to buy two small ones but can't find anywhere to purchase them. Please let me know of anyone in Cape May Co., N.J. who may have some for sale. Thank you

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4879542

beebe, there are good sources at the end of my beach plum article. Locally, you may need to run an ad...
ToddPhilly
Philadelphia, PA

July 7, 2008
9:25 AM

Post #5216286

Most of those sources are wholesale only. But there is at least one grower selling individual plants on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300237543480 or use their search box.

Cheers,

Todd

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy! DrDoolotz 3 Apr 28, 2008 2:55 AM
Plums phicks 2 Apr 24, 2008 3:04 AM
Our group picks them every year rosewood513 0 Apr 28, 2008 12:41 PM
Beach Plums northlake 1 Apr 30, 2008 5:57 AM
They are even on eBay! ToddPhilly 1 Jul 7, 2008 1:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America