Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Banana peppers have buds.

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 4, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 29, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #4879334

Almost all of my hot banana peppers have buds on them but they are only 3-4 inches tall. Should I cut the buds off to help the plant grow better? They have been transplanted once already and are in 3" peat pots now. My other peppers have black/purple stripes running up the stems, and some are getting black coloring to the leaves. Is this a phosphorus deficiency or is this normal?
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #4888438

Congrats, on your peppers.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

May 1, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4891183

Normal.
Most of the time purple on my plants means lots of sun and the plants getting a tan and likes it.
My Royal Gold was all purple because we had some 80-100 degree days.It's cooled off this week and it caused my plant to loose some of it's purple color.Bummer itlookedreally cool.

Some peppers get more purple than others but a lot get different shades of purple with lots of sun.
Most of the peppers that I sprouted in Dec. are full of buds and pods.they are also different sizes and varieties of plants too.
I leave the buds and pods on.
Some say it's better to take them off but I don't think it matters unless your plant is having trouble of some kind and is weak.Then I'd pull them off to try and give the plant less to do while it gets back into shape.

It seems that a smaller plant doesn't hold it's pods or buds as well or make very big pods.
The plants put out a few buds then seem to keep on growing.Not like when the harvest pods are formed and the plant goes full bore to get pods growing.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #4892961

Sounds like they're doing fine! They do seem a little young to be budding... might not be bad to nip the first buds off. Usually I don't bother to disbud peppers, though. Tomatoes, on the other hand, if they get any buds or flowers before planting-out time, I pinch them off. (Why? Same reason as just about everything I do with my tomatoes -- because Carolyn said so. :-)
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

May 1, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #4893038

Thank you for the replies. I think I will cut them off because I also believe they are too small to be blooming. This is the first year that I have had this issue so I was unsure what to do. Once again, thanks for the replies.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America