Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Invaders: Rudbeckia: ROFL @ your last line!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Rudbeckia
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: RudbeckiaReplies: 0, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4881192

I've got a few clumps of BES in my garden, and so far they only proliferate near the parent clump, so they're not too hard to deal with. I have given away quite a few, so I hope nobody is regretting planting them... mostly, the people I've given them to aren't much into gardening, so "tough" plants that spread a bit are ideal.

I've recently become a fan of Yellow Oxeye, Heliopsis helianthoides v. scabra. I grew it from seeds incorrectly labeled "Chocolate Daisy," so until it was ID'd I was calling it Not-Chocolate-Daisy. It blooms all summer long, a little more lemony than the golden color of BES but very similar. It does have a less tidy habit -- a little less mounding, a little taller and tending to flop around on occasion (I'm not big on stakes or cages) -- but it's perfect in my "cottage style" border. I get some volunteers from it each year, so I'd say it reseeds about like an Echinacea might, but so far it hasn't been thuggish. It's easy to winter sow... So you might give it a try! :-)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Rudbeckia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Point rvnsbrk 15 Aug 9, 2010 1:14 PM
I love rudbeckias gessiegail 3 May 7, 2008 4:29 AM
Rudbeckias are indispensible! (-: tabasco 7 Aug 9, 2010 6:06 PM
black eyed susans 1Kimmer 1 Jul 10, 2009 2:56 AM
You are right cheerpeople 1 Nov 24, 2009 12:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America