Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: How do your get rid of a Ground Hog???

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jess2132000

April 29, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4881456

There is a ground hog that leaves under my neighbors shed and takes his moring stroll across our backyard ever morning and evening. We have a garden that only has snap peas planted right now but want him gone soon as he might decide to raid our garden!! Any sugguestions? What do they like to eat? If I get a trap what do I put in it??
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4883598

Get a Big Dog! I bet a good fast dog chase would get him on the run in a hurry.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4884429

You must read the book, "The $64 Tomato". The author had a woodchuck problem and got the have-a-heart trap and it was pretty funny to read all that he went through. It was funny because I remember my father going through the same thing with his corn and racoons and then years later I had a woodchuck problem in my garden. I buried chickenwire 6" deep and 6" horizontal (an "L" shape) because apparently they are not smart enough to dig backwards around the chicken wire. This worked pretty well. Occasionally they would find (or make) a hole. Finally, I moved, that did the trick!
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4961645

I have seen big dogs (German Shepard) kill ground hogs, with plenty of scars and lost eyes to verify. Tough little critters when backed into a corner. A trap seems sensible.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #4961889

Jess, Grounhogs are vegitarians so watch your peas!!!! BEV
trillium612
Portage, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4965912

Coon hounds will tree them. Groundhogs seem to be wary of live traps. I think there are so many other options out there for them, that it is hard to bait them unless you really pick their favorite. If you know where their hole is, you can use a kill trap such as a conibear in front of it, but that is something for an experienced person. You should not use conibears unless you really know how, as they can be somewhat dangerous, and are almost 100% lethal unlike footholds or livetraps. I tend to leave groundhogs alone unless they are getting really destructive in the sheds. Yeah, they eat some, but that is a part of life to me. They are pretty funny to watch sometimes. I've found a great percentage of what is blamed on groundhogs, frequently ends up being deer or rabbits. I think if you are serious about controlling nuisance wildlife you should consider fencing.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4971611

i killed one a few yrs ago with a 12guage double barrel, was chasing it on my sons 4wheeler, 2 shots(first time using the gun) hit her and sent her rolling and she got up and started to run...BOOM! you know her schedule already-should be easy! :)

good luck!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5066243

Jess, If you get a humane trap, bait it with cantaloupe rinds. They just love them. Keep fresh rinds in the trap and set it where the ground hog travels. If your neighbor will let you put it very close to the hole he uses or near the plants he likes the best. Then take the trap to an area like a power-line they like fields not woods and the cleared power-lines make a pretty good home.
VickieP
Rutherfordton, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5110566

Jess, if you've eliminated the groundhog, PLEASE let me know. I have lost an entire vegetable garden to one. Have tried pellets, stink-stuff I ordered online that promised to keep it away, fake snakes, netting, Sevin dust and a $57 humane trap. One morning the groundhog was sitting BESIDE the trap looking around for his salad bar!! (My attempt to buy a 22 rifle is another story I won't relate now.) The occasional dog across the yard hasn't done the job. My exterminator came back up here with his gun and sat for three hours waiting but the creature didn't show back up that day. Why is it that they can sit so still beside a highway with cars and 18-wheelers zooming past but bolt into the woods at the first footstep a hundred yards away? I no longer think they are cute. Just destructive.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America