Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Cutleaf Japanese Maple, Threadleaf Japanese Maple 'Red Dragon' (Acer palmatum va

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4883249

Cutleaf Japanese Maple, Threadleaf Japanese Maple 'Red Dragon'
Acer palmatum
Additional info: (Dissectum group)

JM 'Red Dragon', late April.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/63602/

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hillsofark
Paron, AR

March 1, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7595563

I am thinking of planting another JM this spring & was considering the Red Dragon. The leaves on yours look very healthy, however, I've noticed in some of the other photos, Some have leaves with white spots?? What is the cause? I do not want to plant a variety that is suceptable to insects or disease. What advice do you have for a novice? Also, do you prune yours to give it tree look? Any information you wish to share will be appreciated. Thanks.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7595829

Too much shade & humidity is what I have noticed with Acers with white spots. No, I don't prune mine, the JM takes on it's own shape which by default is a tree, this particular variety has of course serrated leaves and grows slowly. The bottom branches are longer than the top ones and continue to extend relative to the trees size so that it continues to have that treelike appearance, (as it should).
My advice, (I consider myself a novice until I plant 100 trees), would be to get a tree with a very sizable root ball, the bigger the better, preferably directly from a nursery you can pick the tree up from. This particular tree was about 2' tall when I bought it, but weighed about 60lbs when I planted it, also plant the tree in an area where it will not be disturbed whatsoever. They take a long time to heal and continue growth.
It's now about 3' tall, but it's spread has doubled to about 4'. it's still surrounded by 1 foot of snow this very minute, so I haven't gone near it for the last 5 mos! lol!
- good luck and best wishes! ☺

Ps - one other thing: plant and forget these JMs, they like to be left alone and not fretted over, with a big enough root ball they have the strength to survive most diseases, ...the less intervention the better! (all I hear when I get close to mine is " don't touch me, don't touch me, leave me alone!!" -and so I do what it says!) hee hee!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America