Photo by Melody

Article: Not For The Dogs: The History And Culture Of The Dogwood Tree: Real nice tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Not For The Dogs: The History And Culture Of The Dogwood Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: Not For The Dogs: The History And Culture Of The Dogwood TreeReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #4883757

I am not familar with Dogwoods at all, but they seem beautiful in your pictures. They don't look too big & have a wild look that I like. Thanx for showing this tree off Melody. I am discovering a heap of nice american trees here.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4884028

I'm one that prefers a tree with a wild look about it too. "Cookie cutter' lawn specimens are nice, but I like the character that comes from living at the edge of the forest myself.

This tree has beautiful scarlet foliage in the autumn, and the bright red berries are quite attractive.

If I didn't think I'd get in trouble from the OZ 'plant police', I'd send you some seeds this fall. (your spring) I know first hand how close they watch over seeds and plants coming in. They are easy to start, and the trees grow quite well from seed. They would not ever be considered invasive here though. they do not reseed with the abandon that some other plants may.

If seeds are allowed, I have the pink and the white.
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #4885819

Thanx Melody, that's a nice offer. I haven't had any hassles with seeds coming in so far but I am careful to avoid proscribed species. I'll check the quarantine database & dmail you. Considering your climate, I'll have to have a think about what to offer you in return. I was thinking of placing an order with Wildseed Tasmania. I reckon I'll find something there you'll like.
Ian

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Not For The Dogs: The History And Culture Of The Dogwood Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood information timely Sundownr 3 May 1, 2008 12:43 PM
Do Dogwoods Smell? kls_01 4 Apr 29, 2008 6:25 PM
dog wood cuttings/ propagation? bhscarlett 1 May 5, 2008 1:26 PM
Your photography of the Dogwood Trail diannecats4 1 Jun 5, 2008 11:59 PM
dogwood blight wkssr 0 Jun 25, 2008 5:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America