Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Household Composting: how to keep cats out of the flower bed?

Communities > Forums > Article: Household Composting
bookmark
Forum: Article: Household CompostingReplies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
klaegel
Rootstown, OH

April 30, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #4887133

How can I keep the outside cats out of my flower beds? They dig and break of parts of the plant.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4887983

There are lots of devices you can put out, including water sprayers and noisemakers. I have also heard of "Scat Mats" or "Scat Cats" you can put down - they are soft plastic spikes that cats don't like to step on. This sounds a little mean to me, though... You might also try some kind of repellent spray, either predator urine (I know...gross) or lavender, which cats supposedly don't like the smell of.

Here's a link to the Scat Mat:
http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Product-SellPage?OfferID=11687&SC=
klaegel
Rootstown, OH

April 30, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4888416

Thank you Great info.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 8, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5872010

I have put chicken wire down in garden beds. Cats don't like walking on the wire and can't dig either so usually go somewhere else to do their business.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Household Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good to know planolinda 4 Jan 30, 2008 8:45 PM
Thanks for the article. leaflady 0 Jan 26, 2008 4:24 PM
poo composter fruitypompano 0 Jan 28, 2008 1:08 PM
Shredded paper in compost PlantnSandy 0 Jan 28, 2008 1:36 PM
Composting GardeningGramma 0 Jan 28, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America